Votes: 399 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 160 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 993 35.8%
  • Other

Votes: 661 23.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A top choice just means there is for sure an argument to be made for it as a quality decision.
I got no complaints here. Currently running Mobil 1 FS 0w40 and the engine sounds smooth. When changing the oil, on initial start-up after the oil change, there was a ticking sound for about 2 seconds. When I heard that, I was like, "NO WAY, looks like only Redline from here on." But that sound has not come back since. The engine sounds just as smooth ass it did with Redline in it. Just came across this...

Last edited:

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I got no complaints here. Currently running Mobil 1 FS 0w40 and the engine sounds smooth. When changing the oil, on initial start-up after the oil change, there was a ticking sound for about 2 seconds. When I heard that, I was like, "NO WAY, looks like only Redline from here on." But that sound has not come back since. The engine sounds just as smooth ass it did with Redline in it. Just came across this...

Pretty sure that was hydraulic lifter oil bleed down.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I filled as much as i could with the huge XG2 which was only about 1/4 full at most. I like to fill atleast half way but the xg2 is quite a big larger than the big wix 57899xp i have been using

Just another reason to install a bypass relocation kit lol. Mine is installed now and the filter is hanging completely out in the open (but higher than the bumper of course). No tipping/spilling, no getting my mitts sucked in and trapped by the engine, I should have done that years ago!

Last edited:

Travis8352

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Just another reason to install a bypass kit lol. Mine is installed now and the filter is hanging completely out in the open (but higher than the bumper of course). No tipping/spilling, no getting my mitts sucked in and trapped by the engine, I should have done that years ago!
Just stop... stop tempting me to buy more stuff lol. Its on my list for sure. Gotta change the trans fluid and fix my manifold bolts first lol

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
On the 6.4L Hemi in the 2500, they put the oil filter sideways so you can't install filled with oil. I change oil after driving the truck, letting it cool off 1st, of course, this helps maintain oil on engine surfaces - i.e. - don't change oil when the truck's been sitting a while. It also mixes contaminants in suspension so they'll drain out in the oil.

Then I fill the new oil filter and let it soak, topping off as the media absorbs the oil. Then I dump the loose oil out of the filter and install the filter. Then I prime the filter and lifters by using the "crank to prime" method of holding the gas pedal to the floor while cranking. Poor man's pre-lubing and not relocating the filter.

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
And not with other oils? What are you running now?
That's a good question. I don't know if it happens when using Redline. I usually drop off the truck and the oil to my mechanic and he does the job, while I'm at the office - which is about 20 minutes away.
I was only there to witness the first start when with the current Mobil 1.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
That's a good question. I don't know if it happens when using Redline. I usually drop off the truck and the oil to my mechanic and he does the job, while I'm at the office - which is about 20 minutes away.
I was only there to witness the first start when with the current Mobil 1.

Was direct to Travis using HP Lubricants 0W-30

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Was direct to Travis using HP Lubricants 0W-30
I know.. I would to know the answer too. I was just sharing my own experiences as well.
Maybe its typical of using 0w oils. This is the first time I'm using 0w-40 in my engine. Perhaps those who used PUP 0w-40 in their engines also experienced the same.

Last edited:

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I know.. I would to know the answer too. I was just sharing my own experiences as well.
Maybe its typical of using 0w oils. This is the first time I'm using 0w-40 in my engine. Perhaps those who used PUP 0w-40 in their engines also experienced the same.

I used PUP 0W-40 for the 1st 20,000 miles or so, until I was invited to join this Forum, where I learned about Hemi issues.

I've since changed to Red Line 5W-30 in summer and 0W-30 in winter (original formula, stocked up on it). I haven't noticed any difference in startup clatter, but the pandemic occurred in the middle of all of this and I don't drive nearly as much like many.

This Forum provided solutions for infrequent truck use, of which I've employed a smart battery charger and quasi-pre-lube the engine before start. So I get no startup clatter at all. Thanks to these folks.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Well, now that you have a daily driver I would wager it will be very hard to keep it quiet even with redline. Downtime brings ticks back, and it is more then just bleed down, I believe it does effect the EP plate, as even with small trips the tick can still appear. However, since your tick is more treatable with visc, just maybe you wont have that happen. I'm sure you will keep us updated, but keep an eye out on that.