Tail light issue.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matthews1982

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 tD
Have searched other forums for a clear answer but haven't had any luck. Recently have had an issue come up with my 14 2500 slt. Drivers side tail light is out. However brake and turning signal work fine. It is an incandescent multi filament bulb. Replaced bulb, and subsequently the socket due to possible damage due to a short or excessive heat at some point. It was burnt pretty good. Thought maybe a fuse, but from what I could find out the fuse that would protect tail light function also takes care of brake, and turn signL functions. Was advised to check the wiring harness... tried to even find a replacement with no luck. Any ideas? I have seen that this is a fairly common problem but haven't seen an actual solution. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Maybe the brake wire is frayed at some point, try tracing the wire to see if it is broken or rubbed raw somewhere. Also, a bad but quick fix option is splice into brake wire on good side, run a piece of wire from there to the pin on the nonworking side (remove brake wire to prevent a short to ground if your issue is a bad wire covering somewhere) and reinsert the bulb. If it lights up on the bad side you know for sure you have a problem somewhere on that wire between the socket and it's feed point. Of course you could test the feed line along it's path with a dc test pen if someone is pressing the brake. Good luck.