Tail light issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Carey R

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2017 Ram 1500 Sport I bought last year. My current tail lights are LED and I've been having issues when I brake I get a message that either my left, my right or both tail lights are out but when I check, they're fine. Lately though my left tail light hasn't been working and I get a fast blinker but if I disconnect it and reconnect the tail light, it's good to go again. I did take it to a dealership and they couldn't figure out what was going on other than to say that if it continues, I should replace with OEM tail lights which doesn't really help since I don't know what type of tail lights are OEM on my vehicle.

Anyway I was looking at purchasing replacement tail lights in hopes of fixing this issue, my dilemma is how do I know what kind of factory tail light I had/have? (LED, Halogen, what?) Thanks in advance! :)

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I'm not sure which tail lights the 4th gen Sport models got (pretty sure they are LED), but it's easy to tell. You can either post a pic of your tail lights and we can tell you, or compare yours with these...

LED tail light
4th gen LED taillight.JPG

Halogen tail light
4th gen halogen taillight.JPG

There are different variations of the LED tail lights. Some have a silver border and some have a dark border. But it should be easy to tell which lights you have.

OP
OP
C

Carey R

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I currently have LED with the silver trim, don't know if they're factory or after market as they were on the truck when I bought it used last year. So I guess I can assume my RAM Sport has factory LED tail lights and I should purchase LED lights as replacements? Though I'm not sure what the Dodge dealership was talking about when they said I need to get OEM tail lights back in it?

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I doubt this is the issue but double check your 3rd brake light. If that is out it will give you a tail light out message too.