Tailgate Fit Isuue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joe_Fensterbau

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Diesel
Hello all,

Am new to the site and am in need of assistance. Just bought a 2002 3500 DRW...previous owner had replaced the tailgate with what looks to be a 2001 or older, as it has the ribbed black vinyl moulding along the bottom edge of it. Doesn't fit correctly, as each side of the tailgate has a gap between each end of the corners of dually bed corners. From scouring around the internet, am not finding that there are different sizes (widths) in the gen 2 tailgates.

The width of the present tailgate across the bottom is 62 1/2" and 63 1/2" across at the top. The gap at the bottom from the side of the dually corner is a little more than a 1/4" and the gap at the top is a little more than 1/2".

Want to replace it with correct one, but don't have concrete evidence on what this issue is with the narrower tailgate presently on there.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
A picture would help immensely.

Mop

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm pretty sure the tailgates should be the same. But I'm seeing a huge gap at the bottom. Is that bumper too low? SOmething doesn't look right.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It almost looks more like the bed side may be bent outwards on the driver side and the tailgate is sitting high on the passenger side for some reason

OP
OP
J

Joe_Fensterbau

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Diesel
I'm pretty sure the tailgates should be the same. But I'm seeing a huge gap at the bottom. Is that bumper too low? SOmething doesn't look right.
Appreciate the response. Have looked at several online photos for '02 duallies, and the space present on mine is present on those also...the angle of the picture taken on mine might lend itself to the gap looking wider than it is.
Have attached some photos.
Thanks001.JPG 002.JPG

Reactions: Mop
OP
OP
J

Joe_Fensterbau

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Diesel
It almost looks more like the bed side may be bent outwards on the driver side and the tailgate is sitting high on the passenger side for some reason
Thanks for the reply. Kind of thought someone might say that because of the angle of the first picture taken. Here are some more photos, as you can see, the bed rails look pretty straight...at least in my opinion it does. 002.JPG 001.JPG