Tailgate Latch sticking/won't open

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

spinxt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Does anyone know how to adjust the tailgate latch? I have to push forward on my tailgate just to get it to open (it will no longer open remotely). It's annoying. I searched YouTube and only found adjustment instructions for the old-style RAM.

Thanks in advance.

brian42

Military
Reaction score
From what I understand you use a torx T-?? to loosen the latch bar/bolt that sticks out of the side of the bed then you can adjust it.

Elio

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L e-Torque
Interestingly, I experienced my '20 RAM tailgate just (occasionally) act the opposite way. Once I drop it open, it won't close again!! it happened to 3 times already, and at each time I had to sneak a screwdriver and push in the metal tab (behind the latch) in order to close it. It took me awhile at first to figure this out while towing a TT and i could not afford let it loose on the hitch. The nearest RAM dealership would not let me in to inspect it, since I managed to fix it. However, on the 3rd incident I had to call Mopar and report this problem. Anyway, I should open a new thread for this and find if anybody seen this before.

soapy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Ihave found that if you shut it firmly it usually will release every time. If yousoft shut it that is when you have the problem with it releasing.

Legrandmikiey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
I also have a tail gate that’s stuck closed, on my 2020 RAM Laramie 1500. Been an intermittent problem, but now will not release to open. Any other ideas?

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I also have a tail gate that’s stuck closed, on my 2020 RAM Laramie 1500. Been an intermittent problem, but now will not release to open. Any other ideas?
Isn't that covered under warranty? I would take it to the dealer.