Tailgate light bar hyper flashing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

realmikeg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey everyone, I'm having an issue with my tailgate light bar that is driving me crazy! I hope someone will take a look at the video and be able to direct me how to fix this or at least have a suggestion. It worked perfectly for a long time, then I noticed it was flashing. I re-wired the thing and, again, it was working perfectly. At some point, it started doing flashing business again. It is a putco blade installed on a 2014 Ram 1500. It's wired directly into the trailer harness and wrapped up tight from the elements. When the truck is off, it does nothing. When the truck is running.. just driving, it does nothing. stepping on the brakes, it flashes. using a blinker, it flashes (supposed to be amber to the side of the side of the blinker). using hazards, it flashes. going in reverse (no foot on the brake), it flashes. going in reverse (foot on the brake), it's solid. What is going on?

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
WOW that is weird , curious on what you find out !
Have you contacted Putco ?
My Guess is a wiring issue , Corrosion on the terminals or chaffed wired shorting
If I am right which I doubt I should win a cookie lol

Good luck and Please UPDATE what you find

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
As Rado said, that is weird. I have the same lightbar on my 2013 and no issues what so ever. I would definitely contact Putco. Have you ever disconnected it entirely from the truck and check it with a Jump Pack or another battery ?

sgmongoose

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a Putco light bar that does the exact same thing, I noticed it for the first time maybe 3 months ago. Kind of frustrating considering what it costs over other light bars. Mine is wired using a 7-way to 5-way adapter that tee's into the back of the 7way connector. I'd be very interested to hear what you find out.

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not familiar with Putco, I have an Opt7 Triple, but I wired mine in with a Curt harness adapter. Does Putco connect in or splice?
I had to undo it all and reroute wiring last night. (Bumper relocation with a body lift)

sgmongoose

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not familiar with Putco, I have an Opt7 Triple, but I wired mine in with a Curt harness adapter. Does Putco connect in or splice?
I had to undo it all and reroute wiring last night. (Bumper relocation with a body lift)

It connects the same way as the opt7. I had the opt7 triple for about a year before but didn't like the delay and the turn signals/hazards wouldn't always work. Pretty sure my harness adapter is curt also. I'm on my second adapter because I thought the wiring could be the issue, even though I use dielectric grease and there was no corrosion. Like the OP, re-wiring fixes the problem for a little but it doesn't last. It seems to be something with the trucks and not the bars themselves in my opinion.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
A thought crossed my mind ,scary I know lol
I assume the bar comes with a resistor installed ?
Or did yo have to add one ?
I am thinking if the resister is shot that would cause hyper flash !

Did you contact PUTCO ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
realmikeg

realmikeg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for all the help everyone! I contacted Putco and they said that it seems to be a short in the control module. Covered under warranty and a new one should be shipped out Monday or Tuesday most likely