Tailgate light bar!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jRuN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
To me it made installation very easy. Remove tailgate. Hook up Curt adaptor to bumper/trailer pin outlet. Hook stock adapter into curt. Then hook up opt 7 to 3rd curt adaptor. Rather than taping into taillight for reverse I connected white reverse opt 7 wire to the reverse power spot on the curt adaptor.

For me i liked the idea if anything ever did go wrong with light bar or wiring I could remove bar and wiring and curt adaptor and still have my complete un-spliced stock set up in a matter of 2 min.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Which CURT harness did you get? Mind posting a link? I have a 2017 Sport and there seems to be several CURT harness part numbers out there.. I'd like to make sure i order the right one :)

AE5548

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Which CURT harness did you get? Mind posting a link? I have a 2017 Sport and there seems to be several CURT harness part numbers out there.. I'd like to make sure i order the right one :)

65267F7F-872A-451F-A112-E30A7718DAFE.jpeg

AE5548

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do all of these light bars block the hole used to lower the spare tire? Read something about that in one of the reviews

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

The Putco brackets raise the lightbar off the body so while it does block the hole, the lightbar snaps in and out. If you need to lower your spare just snap the lightbar out of that side of the brackets.

AE5548

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Could you possibly provide part numbers? I googled what you listed and it gives me several options as far as t-harnesses and switchblades. Appreciate the help.

56584 on my 18' Ram.

bfill_rebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

See post 12 in this thread. I posted amazon link

blackbeautyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
The Putco brackets raise the lightbar off the body so while it does block the hole, the lightbar snaps in and out. If you need to lower your spare just snap the lightbar out of that side of the brackets.
My opt7 came with brackets to but I’m not into screwing holes into my painted sheet metal.

kidmandudebro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
To me it made installation very easy. Remove tailgate. Hook up Curt adaptor to bumper/trailer pin outlet. Hook stock adapter into curt. Then hook up opt 7 to 3rd curt adaptor. Rather than taping into taillight for reverse I connected white reverse opt 7 wire to the reverse power spot on the curt adaptor.

For me i liked the idea if anything ever did go wrong with light bar or wiring I could remove bar and wiring and curt adaptor and still have my complete un-spliced stock set up in a matter of 2 min.

Nice that is a good reason! I might do same. Thanks for your advice.

Ron Basile

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm using the OPT7 from Amazon too. I hardwired it, so I can;t comment on the Curt adapter. I have used Curt's products in the past and they all have been well worth the price paid.

I used the double sided tape, but I wish I screwed it in. Using the clips will make it much easier to get to the spare should you ever need it.

Oh and the reverse feature, it is a game changer. Super bright!

Harley Harrold

USAF Ret. 36+ years service
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I installed a 60" Redline LED Tailgate Light Bar on my Quad Cab 1500 two years ago. Works fine, works with turn signals, each half, and with brake lights. I opted to not connect the white backup leds. The light strip is installed in an aluminum channel and is mounted with either 3M tape, or clips, I used the clips. LEDs are very bright even in daylight.

aaa.jpg

Dakar_M3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Opti7 double row... awesome product and very reasonable for the price!

I went with the Curt adapter into the trailer harness as I didn't want to cut the harness either.

jRuN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
When using the Curt harness with these light bars does the truck think a trailer is hooked up?

jagu366

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500
Engine
Opt7 as well. Ongoing on 3 years and change. Not a problem, knock on wood.

AE5548

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When using the Curt harness with these light bars does the truck think a trailer is hooked up?

Nope. Changes nothing.

Lyle Longboat

2011 Ram 1500 5.7 Sport CC
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Putco Blade light bar for me and I hardwired mine. Buying a newly updated light bar from Adrenaline Off-road Outfitters out of Winnipeg, Manitoba once they back in stock. Should be in a week or so. Very nice looking and their quality appears to be very good. Cheap in price as well. I’ll give an update once I buy and install.

Grant211

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Show me one that you can still access the spare tire and I’ll be more interested

jRuN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I installed mine with the metal clamps that screw into the metal.. so now the light bar just snaps in and out.. Chose that method instead of the tape method so I could easily get access to the spare if needed.

AE5548

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Show me one that you can still access the spare tire and I’ll be more interested

The Putco SwitchBlade (which I have) comes with 4 self adhesive mounting brackets. No holes to drill. The lightbar snaps into them and can be unsnapped as needed. The brackets raise the lightbar above the black plastic ring where the spare tire crank handle goes. So if I ever need to lower the spare I just snap the lightbar out and lay it in the truck bed still connected. Lower the spare, change my tire and then snap the lightbar back in. No tools needed. I’ll take some pics later.