Tailgate mount differences

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jimbob1960

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 HEMI MDS VVT eTorque
I have a 2021 Ram 1500 Laramie, 5.7L V8 HEMI MDS VVT eTorque. So, a few months back, while visiting Houston, the goblins stole my tailgate and passenger side tail light. I watch the security video, took them less than 90 seconds. Got quotes to replace it, and Ram won't just order a new replacement from the factory, they have to order all the parts and assemble it. Local dealer does not have a body shop Decided instead to buy a salvage tailgate, and that is where the fustercluck started. First tailgate I ordered had totally different mounting hardware. Huge hassle to send it back. got a second one in yesterday, after providing the seller my vin number, and comparing it with the vin of the "donor" vehicle, we both believed it would fit. Has the correct TYPE of hinge/mount points, but the size of the mount points is significantly different. On the driver side of the tailgate, the "socket" piece (molded/pressed onto torsion rod that runs across the pivot axis) is too small to go over the hinge pin on the side of the bed opening. I am calling it a torsion rod, but can't find the thing on any schematics. the passenger side of the tailgate (slotted circular boss with a small slotted bushing) is the correct type, but again, too small. any ideas?

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Goes to show they will steal anything these days! :mad: Is there a body shop that can help you track down the correct parts? Not the dealer but a privately owned one?

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have a 2021 Ram 1500 Laramie, 5.7L V8 HEMI MDS VVT eTorque. So, a few months back, while visiting Houston, the goblins stole my tailgate and passenger side tail light. I watch the security video, took them less than 90 seconds. Got quotes to replace it, and Ram won't just order a new replacement from the factory, they have to order all the parts and assemble it. Local dealer does not have a body shop Decided instead to buy a salvage tailgate, and that is where the fustercluck started. First tailgate I ordered had totally different mounting hardware. Huge hassle to send it back. got a second one in yesterday, after providing the seller my vin number, and comparing it with the vin of the "donor" vehicle, we both believed it would fit. Has the correct TYPE of hinge/mount points, but the size of the mount points is significantly different. On the driver side of the tailgate, the "socket" piece (molded/pressed onto torsion rod that runs across the pivot axis) is too small to go over the hinge pin on the side of the bed opening. I am calling it a torsion rod, but can't find the thing on any schematics. the passenger side of the tailgate (slotted circular boss with a small slotted bushing) is the correct type, but again, too small. any ideas?
You have to make sure you are getting a tailgate from a 2019+ 5th gen 1500, and not one from a 4th gen body style Ram classic.

OP
OP
J

jimbob1960

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah, am learning that. Classic has "DS" body, new 5th gen 1500 is "DT". Sadly appears I can't trust any of the salvage places to identify what it came off of. Making them give me the VIN of the "donor" now. They seem to go right to the part number of the tailgate shell, and if THAT is the same, they think it will fit. They don't want to admit that despite having the same P/N shell, different brackets, bushings and torsion rods are installed for different models. there is no P/N for the "assembly" I have been able to locate.

OP
OP
J

jimbob1960

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Goes to show they will steal anything these days! :mad: Is there a body shop that can help you track down the correct parts? Not the dealer but a privately owned one?
Yeah. Parked 30 ft from the hotel front door, security cam had a great shot of them the minute 22 seconds they were there. Clerk called the cops right away, only took the cops 4 minutes to get there, but they were gone too fast. Have been working with two dealer parts guys who have tried to help, but the the best they have been able to do is confirm for me if a "donor" vehicle probably has what I need. Found one on FleaBay I am pretty sure will fit, but the jerks at the selling shop won't go take the three quick measurements I need to confirm it is the right tailgate, and i am hesitant to pull the trigger a third time on a salvage tailgate. Research tells me a gate from a 2019-2021 Ram Laramie, Longhorn or Lone Star will all fit, so will probably buy the one the jerks have.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7

JF19Longhorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 ETorque
Don't all the tailgates lock with the doors from the factory?

Is that not enough to stop them from being able to quickly steal it?

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I was not referring to the tailgate Lock that is in the handle.

If you leave your tailgate unlocked or leave it in the down position
any person can steal your tailgate in 3 minutes
in 6 minutes they can take your Tail Lights too

If you buy something like a McGard tailgate lock, they would have a hard time stealing your whole tailgate

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did you lock your tailgate with your remote, they have a way to hack the signal when you transmit it, I always use the lock switch on the driver's door for future reference.

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah. Parked 30 ft from the hotel front door, security cam had a great shot of them the minute 22 seconds they were there. Clerk called the cops right away, only took the cops 4 minutes to get there, but they were gone too fast. Have been working with two dealer parts guys who have tried to help, but the the best they have been able to do is confirm for me if a "donor" vehicle probably has what I need. Found one on FleaBay I am pretty sure will fit, but the jerks at the selling shop won't go take the three quick measurements I need to confirm it is the right tailgate, and i am hesitant to pull the trigger a third time on a salvage tailgate. Research tells me a gate from a 2019-2021 Ram Laramie, Longhorn or Lone Star will all fit, so will probably buy the one the jerks have.
Do you have insurance on the truck it is a newer year truck. and they should cover it.

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I always lock my truck, but just in case, I have a simple hose clamp on the passenger side pin/collar. By no means will it be a true lock, but it may cause the thief to think twice about the time spent undoing it.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Another thing, if you are working out of the bed of your truck.

Think about your tail lights, when thieves decide that they need the lights more than you do.
They would unscrew the 2 screws on each tail light.
( I should replace the screws, with allen head security screws )
Then they work the tail lights out,
they Do Not unplug the light.
Almost always, they cut the wiring, so that it has a long pigtail & all the connectors needed by buyers.

For those that mentioned insurance.
I can buy a tail gate brand new, for about $500
hopefully the inside hardware of the tailgate does not cost much. Then it has to be painted.

I have more than enough insurance, because my coverage is quite high. I have to pay the first $2500.

I am sure the insurance company, would jack up the prices, if i put in a claim of damage.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Don't all the tailgates lock with the doors from the factory?

Is that not enough to stop them from being able to quickly steal it?
No, I don't have power locks or power windows. The only thing "power" on mine is the tailgate lock, there is no key for it and I don't like that. For some reason should my battery in the fob die while the tailgate is locked I can't unlock it.