Tailgate, Net, Grill or other?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I feel I am about done with the tailgate, too heavy and worse the lock hasnt been great for years, every once in a while out of nowhere it opens while driving. What do you prefer on your truck, tailgate, net, grill, something else? I don't tow heavy so I don't need the weight on the tail to help control any weight. I also have aggressive at's so I don't need the weight to stop an oem tire from spinning from a stop. All thoughts welcome, thanks Forgot to poll it, but just say what you prefer.

grill

husky_liners_5th_wheel_tailgate_hero.jpg

net

pn017_1.jpg

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Husky's out of stock and not that popular, maybe this one in place of the grill...

Do you know what years are in the tailgate recall? Was the locks the issue?

94efed0d732e4a9a468733cc4060713a.jpg

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Personally I prefer the tailgate because I have a hard bedcover on my truck for security and weather protection. I always heard that a closed tailgate helps to keep the bedsides from getting weak too(ever seen an old pickup with the bed sides leaning in) although I’m not 100% on that. Never cared for the net look either. Maybe replace the mechanism is a cheap option for you. I also am a big fan of the tailgate shock that I learned about from this forum years ago. As a matter of fact, I put one on every truck I’ve owned since.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have no idea if this solution will assist but worth a look. The fix happens within the first 2 minutes of the video.

At about 3:25 you get a better view of the seized part of the latching mechanism. It looks pretty straightforward.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9j4_F9yGXk

Last edited:

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm not sure if the tailgate lock fix was for the older trucks or not. My 2013 was not listed, but I got the part and did it myself for just a piece of mind. There were several videos on how to make the easy fix. If you decide to do this, let me know since I have an extra repair item that I can send your way.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Put me down for the tailgate option!

If you care about MPG, I think you're best off driving with the tailgate up. With a tonneau cover it helps kings things "secure" in the bed, and I just prefer the looks of a tailgate to be honest. If it's a farm truck, different story, but seeing a truck drive around with a net (or worse, missing) kinda gives the impression that it's owner has given up on life lol.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I still have not bought something that i really don't need since my tail gate has a lock that works with the door locks

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Net tailgates reduce mpg as they are the worst of both worlds. Too much air flow to allow the "bubble" to form in the bed for air to flow over, enough surface area to catch wind. You're adding a sail to the back of the truck.

The gooseneck/5th wheel tailgates are designed for better visibility and easier hitching, not sure why you'd want one if you aren't towing.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I feel I am about done with the tailgate, too heavy and worse the lock hasnt been great for years, every once in a while out of nowhere it opens while driving. What do you prefer on your truck, tailgate, net, grill, something else? I don't tow heavy so I don't need the weight on the tail to help control any weight. I also have aggressive at's so I don't need the weight to stop an oem tire from spinning from a stop. All thoughts welcome, thanks Forgot to poll it, but just say what you prefer.

grill

View attachment 507460

net

View attachment 507461
The only thing I could add is I have seen a number of the web type that get ripped or torn after a while. The picture of the one with the venetian shade style looks more durable.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 3 June 2018. Now at 80939 miles

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't know which tailgate you have or the exact problem its giving you but on my 11 ram which I bought CPO had the tailgate open and slam down a couple times. The 11 didn't have the dampener shock so it would literally slam down. Scared the hell out of me everytime. When I finally had enough I and started actually diagnosing it I found the someone (not me) had sprayed some sort of "lubricant" on each latch. When the weather got cold that lubricant would congealed or stiffened up and would prevent the latch from rotating over the striker correctly. I cleaned and sprayed them with WD40 and never had the problem again. Now with all of that being said, I prefer the tailgate being on the truck. To me the net's and those gates make the truck look ridiculous unless it's a real work truck where it's a necessity

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I don't know which tailgate you have or the exact problem its giving you but on my 11 ram which I bought CPO had the tailgate open and slam down a couple times. The 11 didn't have the dampener shock so it would literally slam down. Scared the hell out of me everytime. When I finally had enough I and started actually diagnosing it I found the someone (not me) had sprayed some sort of "lubricant" on each latch. When the weather got cold that lubricant would congealed or stiffened up and would prevent the latch from rotating over the striker correctly. I cleaned and sprayed them with WD40 and never had the problem again. Now with all of that being said, I prefer the tailgate being on the truck. To me the net's and those gates make the truck look ridiculous unless it's a real work truck where it's a necessity
thanks, yeah that is what happened it sounds like you got in a accident and then you are thankful it was only the tailgate. I do prefer the tailgate as well, just didnt want this anymore.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
thanks, yeah that is what happened it sounds like you got in a accident and then you are thankful it was only the tailgate. I do prefer the tailgate as well, just didnt want this anymore.

Didya figure out where the problem is with your tailgate yet?

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I had one side of the tailgate lock mechanism not seat like the other when I disengaged the lock. Like the other posted said, these things tend to show up when it gets cold out, go figure. However, no it doesnt explain why it opens all of a sudden. I havent yet glanced what the recall entails. I do wonder why these things happen, like they woke up and forgot how to lock a tailgate? Or a third brake light seal? Or have lifters stick? Seams like they are literally making stuff that breaks on purpose? New names for your customers = suckers who buy your junk. I have owned a lot of tailgates, I have owned a lot of third brake lights, I have owned a lot of trucks with lifters. Only one truck had any fails and all on the same truck, I don't care what the "stats" say they don't make **** like they used to.