Tailgate, Net, Grill or other?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had one side of the tailgate lock mechanism not seat like the other when I disengaged the lock. Like the other posted said, these things tend to show up when it gets cold out, go figure.

Yup, maintaining household & automotive stuff is going to become a PITA again for the next 4-6 months. Today it's grey, 5C (41F), and pouring rain. I'm glad I went out earlier to the woodshed to load up.

I don't care what the "stats" say they don't make **** like they used to.

That's the truth. Most of the household appliances and yard stuff (lawn tractor, snow blower, generator, etc) I own are made in Canada or the USA and from many years ago. Most of it is easy to repair, maintain, or find replacement parts.

I feel so lucky when I see all this garbage import crap that doesn't last or is a PITA to find replacement parts.

Hopefully, my Ram wasn't built on a Superbowl Friday. :cool:

Last edited:

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
thanks, yeah that is what happened it sounds like you got in a accident and then you are thankful it was only the tailgate. I do prefer the tailgate as well, just didnt want this anymore.
I'm not sure where you got accident from but this didn't involve any accident. Even on my current 21 ram, if I slam the tailgate shut it will not latch properly. I have to gently close it for it to stay latched. Knowing that now, I always give a tug on it to make sure it's latched

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I was just talking about the sound when the tailgate opens when driving, it's like wth was that did I hit something? Thanks

Rav3ncroft

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Don't ever run any form of a net instead of a solid type of tailgate. It definitely will weaken the bed sides. I know from experience, just saying. I had a setup like that on an old Chevy. The besides started to wave at people behind me while driving.

I ended welding some brackets to the back for additional bracing because I wanted to keep the look. Never again.

Threesuns1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Net tailgates reduce mpg as they are the worst of both worlds. Too much air flow to allow the "bubble" to form in the bed for air to flow over, enough surface area to catch wind. You're adding a sail to the back of the truck.

The gooseneck/5th wheel tailgates are designed for better visibility and easier hitching, not sure why you'd want one if you aren't towing.
I used to haul bundles of 10-foot round duct in an 8-foot bed, and it worked perfect for easy tie downs so it wouldn't slide or roll around. Worked well for longer lumber too.

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was just talking about the sound when the tailgate opens when driving, it's like wth was that did I hit something? Thanks
Lol yeah. I thought for sure something hit me lol. The second time it happened it was dead of winter and snow and ice accumulates in the wheel wells as normal but I thought a damn iceberg fell off and whacked the underside of the bed or something.

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When I bought mine, I installed the DeeZee tailgate damper…I never heard mine open, just merrily driving along with gate down. Couldnt see it in mirrors because of the soft tonneau. 20 miles of interstate with my suitcase laid in the back….Thank God for BedRug!
Nets suck. Dont do it!

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Do the Fix, Keep the Tailgate.
Your Truck will thank you.

Oh yeah, add the DZ Dampening shock.
Was pleased,a s punch, to see my new truck had one, inside the Drivers side rear Brake light housing.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
When I bought mine, I installed the DeeZee tailgate damper…I never heard mine open, just merrily driving along with gate down. Couldnt see it in mirrors because of the soft tonneau. 20 miles of interstate with my suitcase laid in the back….Thank God for BedRug!
Nets suck. Dont do it!
yeah I will install a deezee soon