Taking delivery of new ram today, price to pay?*got truck under sticker, all is well!*

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BuschLatte420

chill water by day, drink beer by night
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 classic tradesmen crew cab 6’4 box
Engine
5.7L NON E-TORQUE 3.92 gears 4x4
So I am taking delivery of my new ram classic today which was a special order build, I know times have changed in the past few years but for special orders should I be expecting to pay msrp or is this price something that should still be negotiable. I have a $1000 non refundable deposit down. Wondering the mindset I should be walking in with here. Only other offers I see are $825 or whatever off my classic truck on ram site. Thanks!

HunterCat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
You placed a special order build and you don't know how much you're paying for the truck? And you gave them a $1,000 non-refundable deposit?

I guess you're going to pay whatever they tell you you're going to pay. Why should they negotiate with you at this point?

I recently placed a special order but the price was negotiated prior to placing the order. I gave them a $500 refundable deposit.

OP
OP
BuschLatte420

BuschLatte420

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You placed a special order build and you don't know how much you're paying for the truck? And you gave them a $1,000 non-refundable deposit?

I guess you're going to pay whatever they tell you you're going to pay. Why should they negotiate with you at this point?

I recently placed a special order but the price was negotiated prior to placing the order. I gave them a $500 refundable deposit.
What I ordered won’t sell on there lot, that’s why it is not refundable. I also do not have to pay what they will ‘tell me’ I have to pay, if it is unreasonable sure I loose $1000…but loosing $1000 is better than excepting something that is $50,000+ that I don’t agree with.

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
What I ordered won’t sell on there lot, that’s why it is not refundable.
But it will sell to you, because you're committed to it. If not, they keep your $1k and sell it to someone else. You're a fool if you think they can't sell it. There is an *** for every seat...You're proof of that. Nothing personal.

OP
OP
BuschLatte420

BuschLatte420

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

So the information I am looking for is what you did not state…was your negotiated price lower than msrp for a special order…

OP
OP
BuschLatte420

BuschLatte420

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
But it will sell to you, because you're committed to it. If not, they keep your $1k and sell it to someone else. You're a fool if you think they can't sell it. There is an *** for every seat...You're proof of that. Nothing personal.
Nobody fully loads classic tradesman’s, it will sit a whole lot longer than the lower price basic v6’s that everyone wants in a classic apparently. Didn’t ask this question for a bunch of negativity to be given.

OP
OP
BuschLatte420

BuschLatte420

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When you walk out in public and drop your pants, you have to expect someone to laugh at your ******.
No, it’s beautiful

JerryETX

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4- 3:73- 6 Speed
If you haven't nailed down a price yet you've unfortunately forfeited your leverage for negotiating in my opinion. The dealer has all the leverage. You should be prepared to lose a grand a walk away. Most dealers are going to add a convenience fee or something similar to a special order like that. Hopefully I'm wrong and you get it for 5-10% under MSRP.

OP
OP
BuschLatte420

BuschLatte420

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you haven't nailed down a price yet you've unfortunately forfeited your leverage for negotiating in my opinion. The dealer has all the leverage. You should be prepared to lose a grand a walk away. Most dealers are going to add a convenience fee or something similar to a special order like that. Hopefully I'm wrong and you get it for 5-10% under MSRP.
They did not mention anything of fees like that, granted sales people are mostly shady the guy I was dealing with was more than happy to order the specific truck I wanted because none were on the lot even close & special orders were not something new to him. Yes I wish I would have negotiated before hand but unfortunately I was not in the buying a new vehicle state of mind, dealing with a lemon I had for the last year canceling warranty plans coming from another dealer before ending up at the one I placed a order with it didn’t slip my mind. Was used to the Toyota way where now you pay msrp & get a vehicle closest to what you want, not what you exactly want. If I can get some off msrp that would be wonderful, if not it’s a lesson learned the hard way. Ordering a special built vehicle I didn’t think I would have the room to negotiate price as it’s not something sitting on the lot that they want gone.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
They did not mention anything of fees like that, granted sales people are mostly shady the guy I was dealing with was more than happy to order the specific truck I wanted because none were on the lot even close & special orders were not something new to him. Yes I wish I would have negotiated before hand but unfortunately I was not in the buying a new vehicle state of mind, dealing with a lemon I had for the last year canceling warranty plans coming from another dealer before ending up at the one I placed a order with it didn’t slip my mind. Was used to the Toyota way where now you pay msrp & get a vehicle closest to what you want, not what you exactly want. If I can get some off msrp that would be wonderful, if not it’s a lesson learned the hard way. Ordering a special built vehicle I didn’t think I would have the room to negotiate price as it’s not something sitting on the lot that they want gone.
I'd guess you'll be paying MSRP, but hope you get a better deal than that.

OP
OP
BuschLatte420

BuschLatte420

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'd guess you'll be paying MSRP, but hope you get a better deal than that.
Unfortunately I think so, but we will see. Can’t blame anyone but myself. In the end if the truck comes without issues and treats me well in the long run I would be greatful just for that it’s self these days.

CAGEYAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
The current state of the new vehicle marketplace is MSRP+. Buying any popular vehicle at sticker price in 2022 is like finding a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. Ram trucks are certainly popular.
Read the following article and be prepared to pay over MSRP. Your deposit may be at risk:

chopperman1

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Rebel
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Typically the price is negotiated before the order, not after. If you didn't it will be at MSRP. You can't go down, and they can't go up for the ******** market adjustment some of them try to get. Sure, you can walk away and forfeit the 1k.

JerryETX

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4- 3:73- 6 Speed
Unfortunately I think so, but we will see. Can’t blame anyone but myself. In the end if the truck comes without issues and treats me well in the long run I would be greatful just for that it’s self these days.
A bargain point could be vehicle values are dropping almost daily and interest rates are climbing. For example the value in my Ram has dropped right at 4 grand in the last 3 months alone. Interest rates are up almost 3 full points in that same time frame. 3 points is probably an extra $100/month on a 50k loan. Times are rapidly changing in this market and not for the better.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Is this a dealer you have a long-standing relationship with?

I would go in there with the attitude that you thought you had a handshake agreement they'd work with you on price ...being such a well-respected dealer. You might have to pull the manager into the discussions. Drag it out ..if you can wear them down, that might yield some savings. Another tactic if they don't want to budge on price is to negotiate in other items, like extended warranties or accessories (running boards, bed cover, mud flaps, brush guard, CD player (if they're avail) etc ....other accessories out of the Mopar catalog), or even an extra matching factory wheel and tire. 3 years worth of Oil changes, etc. If you got another wheel/tire, and rotated it in with your tires on a regular basis, would extend your tire wear 25%.

I'm still trying to figure out how the dealer would order the truck for you w/o a final bill of sale? That puts them at risk too. That's why I was wondering if you had a long relationship with them. Look at it this way, even if you pay a little more, you'll got exactly what you wanted w/o compromises. Enjoy the truck...

And post a pic once you get it, I'm eager to see what it looks like!

OP
OP
BuschLatte420

BuschLatte420

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The current state of the new vehicle marketplace is MSRP+. Buying any popular vehicle at sticker price in 2022 is like finding a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. Ram trucks are certainly popular.
Read the following article and be prepared to pay over MSRP. Your deposit may be at risk:
The price that was being discussed with financing was what was on the order sheet, no mark up over msrp was mentioned I would have stopped right there, I think worst case I am paying msrp

OP
OP
BuschLatte420

BuschLatte420

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A bargain point could be vehicle values are dropping almost daily and interest rates are climbing. For example the value in my Ram has dropped right at 4 grand in the last 3 months alone. Interest rates are up almost 3 full points in that same time frame. 3 points is probably an extra $100/month on a 50k loan. Times are rapidly changing in this market and not for the better.
I noticed that, my 4 runner dropped 4500 in value apparently in less than a year with 7,000 miles on the dash, and you can’t find a new or fresh used as mine is around here. My interest rate on that was 2.15% December of 2022 through capital one. My credit union went from 2.25% to 3% in the last month.

OP
OP
BuschLatte420

BuschLatte420

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Is this a dealer you have a long-standing relationship with?

I would go in there with the attitude that you thought you had a handshake agreement they'd work with you on price ...being such a well-respected dealer. You might have to pull the manager into the discussions. Drag it out ..if you can wear them down, that might yield some savings. Another tactic if they don't want to budge on price is to negotiate in other items, like extended warranties or accessories (running boards, bed cover, mud flaps, brush guard, CD player (if they're avail) etc ....other accessories out of the Mopar catalog), or even an extra matching factory wheel and tire. 3 years worth of Oil changes, etc. If you got another wheel/tire, and rotated it in with your tires on a regular basis, would extend your tire wear 25%.

I'm still trying to figure out how the dealer would order the truck for you w/o a final bill of sale? That puts them at risk too. That's why I was wondering if you had a long relationship with them. Look at it this way, even if you pay a little more, you'll got exactly what you wanted w/o compromises. Enjoy the truck...

And post a pic once you get it, I'm eager to see what it looks like!
I had this handed to me when I left, not sure if it is considered a bill of sale? But even from this sheet VS the window sticker I saw online the price fluctuated for a few items making it a $51,000 vehicle to a $53,000 vehicle. I personally never purchased a vehicle from this dealer, my buddy has though & the service is what sold me there as he never had a issue during a service visit or a warranty claim for work (pretty much manifold and or bolts) on his 2016 hemi. It’s a beautifully built truck for a base classic tradesman, got all the bells and whistles pretty much. If the truck treats me right I will enjoy this for a long time hopefully. I do plan on getting a mopar extended care warranty if the price is not insane as I plan to keep long term and plan on needing manifolds at the minimum at some point, and the radio and engine scare me if something goes wrong in those departments which seems hit or miss. Truck won’t be abused. Now that I see that I did sign off on there copy I signed my negotiations away I am 99.9% sure lol. Sure I might pay a extra grand or 2, whatever…life could always be worse. I’m greatful for what I have and can have.

Attachments

• 41ECF71A-3CE6-4AA0-A7C0-6A7D9C27BE4D.jpeg
    41ECF71A-3CE6-4AA0-A7C0-6A7D9C27BE4D.jpeg
    142.7 KB · Views: 69

CAGEYAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
The reason your Ram value has dropped in the last 90 days is the ceiling for Used vehicles peaked in early summer. Since then, Used values have continued to drop. Among current New vehicle values, Ram Tradesman trucks are currently among the highest markups over MSRP as described in the article in post #13. Hopefully, our buyer gets out the door at MSRP, however, comparing used and new values is apples and oranges. Used getting softer. New Ram trucks still commanding MSRP+. Does vary by market. Western NY state is a pretty strong truck market.