Tall guy question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scott1613

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
So I decided to trade up from a F150 to a 2500. Problem is, when I test drove a 2019, I noticed the headroom sucked and in the back seat my head actually hit the ceiling. Yes, I did make sure the seat was all the way down. While I love the truck, I have a hard time shelling out $60k+ for a truck that’s small inside. Honestly, my F150 feels bigger and when comparing specs, is actually an inch or so bigger in all measurements. I guess my question is, what do all the tall guys out there do? I’m only 6’3” so there’s got to be taller guys then me driving Rams. I drove a Laramie. Do the lower models have more headroom due to seats not having so many mechanical parts making the seats lower? Do you just deal with your head hitting? Again, love the truck. If only it had more headroom.

litzdog911

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
How did you adjust the driver's seat? I'm 6'2" and had no headroom concerns when test driving both a Laramie and Limited 2500.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Liter Cummins
I am 6'9 and drive a 2014 2500 Laramie. Legroom was ultimately what I was after and I feel like I have plenty of legroom in the 2500. Headroom leaves something to be desired but again, a 6'9 person is not building this truck to their spec lol.

My hair sometimes hits the roof in normal driving and on bumps I end up ducking to make sure I don't hit my head. The headliner drops down in the back about an inch. Because of the legroom, I move the seat up just a tad and I give myself about 1 inch more of room up top.

I will say this, the only vehicle I have driven (my wife's car) that has given me really good headroom is the Toyota Highlander. That thing has more headroom than needed. So I have always had issues with headroom in any vehicle I have driven and am kind of just used to it.

Just my two cents...

OP
OP
S

Scott1613

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
How did you adjust the driver's seat? I'm 6'2" and had no headroom concerns when test driving both a Laramie and Limited 2500.

Front seat all the way down. Had to move forward a bit to not hit the crossmember on the ceiling. Sitting in backseat my head hit the ceiling. I will say my doctor always said I was “cut in half” so maybe my torso is longer then the average person my height. Like I said, just a bit surprising.

star_deceiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
If you have a sunroof, good luck. Your head will brush the roof until you tilt the seat back far enough that you can’t reach the steering wheel.
I’m 6’4. There is no sunroof and I fit fine.

Jrod

USAF 1997-2008
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Sport
Engine
5th gens have a telescopic steering wheel option. If you find one, tilt the seat back and draw the steering wheel closer to you.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Liter Cummins
5th gens have a telescopic steering wheel option. If you find one, tilt the seat back and draw the steering wheel closer to you.

I wish the 4th Gens had this...I am at the age though where leaning all the way back actually hurts my back :( I've had to do that most of the vehicles I've owned haha

Jrod

USAF 1997-2008
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Sport
Engine
I wish the 4th Gens had this...I am at the age though where leaning all the way back actually hurts my back :( I've had to do that most of the vehicles I've owned haha

I get it, I'm only 6ft and I wish I had a telescopic wheel in my 4th gen too. My 16 Challenger RT+ Shaker has it but not my truck.. I find myself having to sit a little more vertical than I'd like, but the lumbar support helps compensate. Another annoyance of mine is the antenna on my truck.. Everything operates through the shark fin on my Challenger. I've had to replace antenna's on my truck because my car wash eats them up.. Fortunately the 5th gens caught up to all in one shark fins. Regardless my nitnoids are not enough for me to upgrade yet. My truck is still solid at only 57k miles.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Liter Cummins
I get it, I'm only 6ft and I wish I had a telescopic wheel in my 4th gen too. My 16 Challenger RT+ Shaker has it but not my truck.. I find myself having to sit a little more vertical than I'd like, but the lumbar support helps compensate. Another annoyance of mine is the antenna on my truck.. Everything operates through the shark fin on my Challenger. I've had to replace antenna's on my truck because my car wash eats them up.. Fortunately the 5th gens caught up to all in one shark fins. Regardless my nitnoids are not enough for me to upgrade yet. My truck is still solid at only 57k miles.

Completely agree with you. The lumbar support helps and I guess having good posture is a good thing? Who knew...at my height I have to think about good posture just because I find myself leaning over or hunching to talk to people.

The shark fine almost makes me lose clearance pulling into the garage...about .5" more and she wouldn't fit. But again, a minor inconvenience I guess.

Mine's a 2014 with only 36k on it..was a garage princess since purchase...until I took it off my father in law's hands for him. But since I have always had to duck through doors..in cars...I will take the room the 2014 throws at me and be happy with it. Still a sh** ton more comfortable than both the Tundra's I have owned in the past!!!

Reverse

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6'4" here.

I made sure to buy truck without the sunroof - that adds a few inches to the headroom . I do agree on the seat not lowering far enough. I read the 5t gen lower .5" more than 4th gen, but they also increased the windshield 's rake so that probably evens it out. I have often thought abt getting my set customized so it would lower more, but have been unable to find a place that could do it.

One more thing: the cheaper the seats, the lower they seem to sit. I bought a limited with leather seats, but also drove a 5th gen rental Big Horn with cloth seats for a few days, and found the cloth seats to sit lower. Over time, the leather may sag a little more, I'm not sure. We used to have a 2014 Express with the cheapest seats, and they seemed to sit lowest of all, while still being comfortable.

5cottD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
6'5" and just got a 4th Gen 1500 Laramie without a sunroof. No problems. I find that any vehicle with a sunroof will create headroom problems for me. I will just use the AC and won't miss the sun shining on the top of my head.

Fireman48

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 New body style
Engine
5.7. HEMI
Im 6'7" and have zero headroom issues even with a hat. I purposely got a new 19 that did not have a sunroof because I can't afford to lose headroom. My hair touching the ceiling drives me bonkers.

Judy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Headroom is very important!