Tanny fluid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeff Krawczyk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Looking for suggestions as I went under my truck and noticed the output shaft seal with a leak and tranny fluid has obviously leaked out as it was sprayed around from drive shaft, well I'm going to replace seal today what's the best way and best fluid to use, I dont want to go broke with buying fluid but do t want to use garbage either....thanks
It's a 2014 bighorn 5.7

OP
OP
Jeff Krawczyk

Jeff Krawczyk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Has anyone used redline....looked in the interwebs and that was one that came up and says it works with the rams tranny

waynestractor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had a 13 with the 8 speed it was a Bighorn model
That was the first year the 8sp was available I believe. I was hoping to find a '13 Laramie with the 6sp when I bought my '10 as I much prefer the console shift over the knob. Now I know I can look for a '14 with a 6sp.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
In that case I would stick with either the Mopar 8&9 or the ZF Lifeguard fluid. ZF has some pretty strict specs for their trans...
There are several really high mileage EcoDs that have been changing the 8 sod trans fluid using Valvoline MaxLife trans fluid at 100K mile intervals with no issues. The one that stands out the most is over 600K miles and tows travel trailers for a living with his.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There are several really high mileage EcoDs that have been changing the 8 sod trans fluid using Valvoline MaxLife trans fluid at 100K mile intervals with no issues. The one that stands out the most is over 600K miles and tows travel trailers for a living with his.
Wow 600k and still on the original motor and trans? Did they leave the fluid heater on or bypass it?

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Has anyone used redline....looked in the interwebs and that was one that came up and says it works with the rams tranny

So the reason why they use PAO oils because they choose a very thin oil and they don't want it shearing down over time. That's a fact. Redline d6 would be the proper redline if you chose that, and would fit the bill for their spec.

So atf 4's maxlife and others, do not meet the spec as far as starting viscosity, but they work as sean on eco diesel proved. Which would be redline c+ as a comparable product to maxlife.

Changing fluids and level is such a pita with the 8 speed, I might go higher quality fluids and change less often. Now sean changed his fluid very often, in which case maxlife worked perfect, who knows maybe it would work even with a long oci, dunno. I know if you are in a snow state, redline d6 will give you pao oem quality at a fraction of the cost of oem. The oem spec is a real good idea in cold places, that maxlife would be plenty thicker at start up then redline d6 or oem pao z8 fluid.

RVGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That was the first year the 8sp was available I believe. I was hoping to find a '13 Laramie with the 6sp when I bought my '10 as I much prefer the console shift over the knob. Now I know I can look for a '14 with a 6sp.
My '15 has a 6sp, I've seen '19s on lots with the 6sp but they're SXT models.
I'm guessing the 6sp will be a thing of the past officially once they stop making the "Classics" but until then the SXT and SXT plus model still comes with it.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Wow 600k and still on the original motor and trans? Did they leave the fluid heater on or bypass it?
The original motor lifted a head gasket around 371K, dropped a new complete motor in and is still goin. Transmission is original and as far as I know uses the stock transmission TMU. Not sure exactly when he started running a transmission tune but it I think it was well after the engine swap.

waynestractor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My '15 has a 6sp, I've seen '19s on lots with the 6sp but they're SXT models.
I'm guessing the 6sp will be a thing of the past officially once they stop making the "Classics" but until then the SXT and SXT plus model still comes with it.
Is that in 1500 or 2500's, or both?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Is that in 1500 or 2500's, or both?

Canada is FCA's dumping ground for the older 6 speeds.Airdrie Dodge just north of Calgary had a couple 2019 Express's sitting on their lot with the 6 speed in them a few weeks ago,haven't toured through their lot in a bit to see if they still have them though.

RVGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Canada is FCA's dumping ground for the older 6 speeds.Airdrie Dodge just north of Calgary had a couple 2019 Express's sitting on their lot with the 6 speed in them a few weeks ago,haven't toured through their lot in a bit to see if they still have them though.
I can ask, my father-in-law is a salesperson there. I've seen them in a few of the Edmonton lots too. Express, SXT, and SXT Plus all still come with the 6 speed, he was saying they've been selling a lot of the SXT Plus models lately.

waynestractor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Good to know. I was looking at their website but can't see if the console shifter is an option in any of them. I prefer the 6spd as I hate the knob. My 2010 has 150,000km and no issues at all with the tranny.