Tapping from driver's exhaust manifold

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

benzmedic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
All,

I recently purchased this truck from a neighbor, ever since he's had it, several years now, its had an engine tap.

The truck is a 2004 RAM 1500 5.7 hemi with about 200K miles on it. The engine runs perfectly smoothly and doesn't burn a drop of oil. My problem is that there's a tapping sound coming from the engine. I've used a stethoscope and found that the noise is loudest when I put it against the driver's side exhaust manifold. Originally, I thought it was a broken bolt or two on the manifold, so I pulled it and replaced all the bolts with new as well as a new gasket. I did find two broken manifold bolts at the tail end of the manifold. Everything is new now, and it still taps...

The symptoms are it taps a bit louder when cold, the speed of the tap is proportional to the engine speed, taps faster at higher RPM, and never goes away, but does quiet down a bit when warmer.

I really don't think its a lower end noise since it would be louder when I listen on the oil pan. When I pulled off the manifold, I looked at the valves and they were all the same color, no carbon buildup at all on any of them.

Has anyone had this problem or can you point me in a direction?

BrianandChrissy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 big horn crew cab
Engine
5.7 hemi, vararam CAI
All,

I recently purchased this truck from a neighbor, ever since he's had it, several years now, its had an engine tap.

The truck is a 2004 RAM 1500 5.7 hemi with about 200K miles on it. The engine runs perfectly smoothly and doesn't burn a drop of oil. My problem is that there's a tapping sound coming from the engine. I've used a stethoscope and found that the noise is loudest when I put it against the driver's side exhaust manifold. Originally, I thought it was a broken bolt or two on the manifold, so I pulled it and replaced all the bolts with new as well as a new gasket. I did find two broken manifold bolts at the tail end of the manifold. Everything is new now, and it still taps...

The symptoms are it taps a bit louder when cold, the speed of the tap is proportional to the engine speed, taps faster at higher RPM, and never goes away, but does quiet down a bit when warmer.

I really don't think its a lower end noise since it would be louder when I listen on the oil pan. When I pulled off the manifold, I looked at the valves and they were all the same color, no carbon buildup at all on any of them.

Has anyone had this problem or can you point me in a direction?
The manifold is still leaking. Did you change the gasket? Properly torque the bolts etc?

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk

Mopar4u

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
130,000 on my 5.7. i had 2 broken bolts on each manifold. dealer replaced all bolts, both gaskets, checked manifold flatness and mine still ticks like yours as well. when cold i hear a light tick in conjunction with rpm. when cold in park is fairly quiet, once i shift into gear the tick gets noticebly louder. after warm only at idle.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Supposedly the manifold warping is what's causing them to break the bolts, so if it warped and broke the bolts it's not flat anymore no matter what they say they checked. In order to do the job right it would be new bolts, gaskets, and either machine the old manifolds or get new ones. Or get a set of shorties that are a bolt on replacement for the manifolds.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
B

benzmedic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The manifold is still leaking. Did you change the gasket? Properly torque the bolts etc?

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk

Hi,

I don't think it's leaking, actually, I did think it was leaking before I started the process. I just wanted to get rid of the tick.

Yes to all. 18 foot pounds.

P

OP
OP
B

benzmedic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
130,000 on my 5.7. i had 2 broken bolts on each manifold. dealer replaced all bolts, both gaskets, checked manifold flatness and mine still ticks like yours as well. when cold i hear a light tick in conjunction with rpm. when cold in park is fairly quiet, once i shift into gear the tick gets noticebly louder. after warm only at idle.

Well that's kinda reassuring. I can't think of what could be causing the ticking. The vales were fine, and cam/lifter noise would be higher.

Thanks!

OP
OP
B

benzmedic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Supposedly the manifold warping is what's causing them to break the bolts, so if it warped and broke the bolts it's not flat anymore no matter what they say they checked. In order to do the job right it would be new bolts, gaskets, and either machine the old manifolds or get new ones. Or get a set of shorties that are a bolt on replacement for the manifolds.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I checked the manifold with a steel straight edge and it looked straight enough. I might pull it off again and check it again.

You have any suggestion on bolt on replacements?

Thanks

OP
OP
B

benzmedic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
One other thing I should of mentioned which might be related is the engine performance is not what I remember hemi performance being. It starts the first crank, idles smoothly, doesn't over heat and revs great but definitely does not have breath-taking performance/acceleration.

Again, the tapping noise is definitely coming from the exhaust manifold or the valves behind it. Could this be a stuck/bent valve?

fastf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 1500 Quad Cab SLT Thunder road
Engine
Get a section of rubber hose and stick it down where you think you hear the noise.Then put the other end near your ear and listen its called a poor mans stethoscope.

OP
OP
B

benzmedic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've done that thanks, I actually have a real one I've been using. There's only faint noise from the crankcase, valve cover, tranny and head. Loudest noise, many times louder than anywhere else, is while it's pressed against the driver's exhaust manifold.

fastf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I wish you luck finding it .

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Somebody on another thread suggested spraying some seafoam into the intake while running as it blows dark smoke that will make it easier to see an exhaust leak if that's what it is.

fastf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don't think that will work.I tell you what you might could do is take a evap smoker and unscrew the o2 sensor and plug the tail pipe up.Hook that up right at the left hand side if there is a problem on that side the smoke will find it.This is just a wild suggestion.

Last edited:

fastf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Now that will work But it might work better on a Ford.Just kidding beats the heck of some of the other thing people have cam up with including mine.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Kinda curious what his engine sounded like when running, before he found/fixed the leak.

OP
OP
B

benzmedic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Solved, I think... I decided to take my truck to the dealer, Fitzgerald's Countryside Chrysler Jeep, and offered to buy a senior mechanics time for an hour. After a few minutes and watching a crowd of mechanics swarm my tapping engine, their conclusion/recommendation was to pull the drivers side valve cover and watch the rockers while cranking the engine via the starter relay. They strongly suspect a lifter has gone bad.

Btw, the dealership service area was great, they didn't even charge me for their time. Amazing to find a "good" car dealership.

I'll pull the valve cover asap and post my findings.

OP
OP
B

benzmedic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Kinda curious what his engine sounded like when running, before he found/fixed the leak.

If you've ever heard a rod bearing getting ready to let loose, it is about the same kind of sound but not nearly as violent. Just a persistent tapping/rapping. Definitely internal engine noise.

OP
OP
B

benzmedic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi, I wanted to follow up on what I've done. I pulled the engine and had the heads redone, new lifters, push rods, timing chain and sprockets as well as a new oil pump. I also swapped out a few rockers that seemed a little worn. I found no metal shavings in the oil pan, no obvious signs of wear associated with metal rubbing on metal anywhere in the engine, basically a clean engine. The lifters were definitely crusty and two of the push rods seemed constricted aka clogged. Put it all together and guess what, the #$#@$ is still ticking. The only thing I didn't replace were the manifolds... I might replace them, but honestly, pulling and replacing the engine by myself was a PITA, so I'm "over" it for a while.

I've googled until my fingers bled and no one has an answer to the ticking/tapping issue. Lots of people seem to have the issue but no one's ever posted an "ah-ha!" moment where they figured it out.

So, I bought a louder stereo and I'm going to drive it until something gives.