Tapping into Cargo lamp for bed lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hemiram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Anyone tap into the cargo lamp wiring to install LED bed lights? I would prefer to use this switching option so I don't leave the lights on. I also wouldn't have a switch in the bed that way.

HemiBabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Welcome to RF.

I'm not sure if I've seen any one do so, but I bet it'd work

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
I tapped into a wire by my spare tire that is for adding a topper light, but you would need to add a switch.

OP
OP
Hemiram

Hemiram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ended up tapping into another wire and put a switch in the bed. May still try to tap into cargo wiring later.

Sagebrush2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 2500 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'll keep an eye out for someone who's done this - I'd like to set this up a well

MikeP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
On my old dakota i tapped into the dome

Sent from my SIII using Tapatalk 2

reddot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
would not be that hard. maybe a little time involved getting the full headliner down but its not bad. Im trying to remember what pillar the cargo light wires went to but dont recall..... I just put a switch in the bed. I like it better then having to go to the cab all the time to light the bed up. I figured if I want light in the bed ill be in the bed....not the cab.

OP
OP
Hemiram

Hemiram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Installed with a switch for now...sorry for blurry pic

Bed lights 008.jpg

Bed lights 004.jpg

Bed lights 007.jpg

Bed lights 001.jpg

Last edited:

Mega Mike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I know I am a little late, I have been extremely busy with work and truck and well... you know.

I put a separate switch for my bed lights, direct from the battery. The switch I installed under the steering wheel. On and off whenever I want to.

Real simple, right through the firewall with the other wires.

Armyman14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
Since mega mike brought it up, would there be a way to have a switch but leave it on and have the light turn on whenever the tailgate is down, but if you want it off with the tailgate down, turn the switch off.?

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
To activate it with the tailgate is a bit tough but another option would be to tap into the cargo lights and run a switch in parrallel from a constant 12v so they would come on with the cargo lights or with the switch

To do what you want you would need to install a normaly closed momentary switch (doing loaded or magnetic) between the the gate and bed then another rocker switch in series

Last edited:

ram-head

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
To activate it with the tailgate is a bit tough but another option would be to tap into the cargo lights and run a switch in parrallel from a constant 12v so they would come on with the cargo lights or with the switch

That's what I was thinking...kinda like the three way switches in a house?

Zachohs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Maybe this thread would help, was just browsing diy's and noticed this thread, maybe this type of switch would work for you?(for when the tailgate opens the lights come on)

Last edited by a moderator:

Ocelot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I tapped the 12v line from the trailer harness under the truck which is hot all the time and used a switch.

We spend a lot of time at campgrounds in the summer and I didn't want to have to go inside the ruck to turn on the bed light.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
That's exactly what I did with the lights I installed on my dads 4th gen and put a weatherproof switch just inside the drivers side of the bed

ram-head

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So if you tapped into the cargo light wire but also put a switch to constant 12v, like mentioned earlier, would the lights come on with the cargo lights when the switch is in the off position? But you'd be able to turn them on with the switch regardless of the cargo light?

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
So if you tapped into the cargo light wire but also put a switch to constant 12v, like mentioned earlier, would the lights come on with the cargo lights when the switch is in the off position? But you'd be able to turn them on with the switch regardless of the cargo light?

Yup, the cargo lights would probably come on with the installed switch as well unless you put a diode in
Here's the $1.50 a strip lights I did for my dad, the plan was to wire them to the cargo lights as well but I haven't gotten to it and haven't really seen the need for it since installing them this past march
-7F3C-4F0A-9884-1F7B38335826-7883-00000650DBAA799E.jpg

SoCal Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Can someone tell me what lights they are using for this? Where did you get them and who makes them? Thanks all!