Tell me I’m foolish, or not ...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LugsLeadOut84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Make this comparison... How about the guys who buy very expensive sports cars that can top 200 MPH..? Where in this country can that car be driven to its' full potential? Perhaps the driver occasionally puts it on a race track. That could also be called foolish, but the guy has a car that can "blow the doors off" of any other car between stop lights... Wow, how impressive indeed!
So, I'm foolish for owning the most capable off-road truck straight off the factory floor that will yank the competition out the way from the mud or snow bank and then drive right past them. Foolish ? Not a chance. We buy these trucks because of the extreme capabilities and their past heritage.

Great comparison.
I'd bet more RAM owners than you think (of any model) don't use it to it's full potential. I'm somewhere in-between....I live in an area that gets a decent amount of snow, I tow a friends boat to and from the slip each year, I make multiple trips to Vermont for snowmobiling sometimes pulling some snowmobiles, do a few loose-sand beach runs, take it to a friends property to shoot, since I'm retired I fall back on my old electrical trade and work for a contractor friend and load it up with spools of wire, conduit, ditchwitch, etc. I don't do any hard-core off-roading as there's not many places where I live to do that. And of course it's frequently loaded with flooring, tile and don't forget the countless amount of friends couches (although more people have trucks these days).

Sure, there's a bunch of members who use it as a daily workhorse for farming, etc. who will call yours a garage Queen, but who cares.

Property and space where I am comes at an over-priced premium so I don't have room and couldn't afford your awesome garage setup or even a Power Wagon, but enjoy it. To drop $70k on a truck when I'm paying 13k in property taxes (80 x 100 lot) isn't in the cards until we relocate out of this sh*thole.

Tinman454

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
for me it’s a totally useless truck for most of the stuff I do. But for the last 6 years every time I saw one I whish I had one. Well when your a hard working guy and your smart with your money and the kiddies are all moved out I was at the point in my life I was able to spend the money on one. To a lot of older guys my power wagon is there corvett. The power wagon is just for Sunday rides and going out for dinner. And I think a lot of power wagon owners are in the same mind set. Most guys buy them not because they need a truck rather they want a power wagon.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Great comparison.
I'd bet more RAM owners than you think (of any model) don't use it to it's full potential. I'm somewhere in-between....I live in an area that gets a decent amount of snow, I tow a friends boat to and from the slip each year, I make multiple trips to Vermont for snowmobiling sometimes pulling some snowmobiles, do a few loose-sand beach runs, take it to a friends property to shoot, since I'm retired I fall back on my old electrical trade and work for a contractor friend and load it up with spools of wire, conduit, ditchwitch, etc. I don't do any hard-core off-roading as there's not many places where I live to do that. And of course it's frequently loaded with flooring, tile and don't forget the countless amount of friends couches (although more people have trucks these days).

Sure, there's a bunch of members who use it as a daily workhorse for farming, etc. who will call yours a garage Queen, but who cares.

Property and space where I am comes at an over-priced premium so I don't have room and couldn't afford your awesome garage setup or even a Power Wagon, but enjoy it. To drop $70k on a truck when I'm paying 13k in property taxes (80 x 100 lot) isn't in the cards until we relocate out of this sh*thole.
Your truck almost the same as MY 19 Bighorn, LOL. I saw yer property taxes amount and it makes me think: Hmmm, Best not post what I pay or complain. TY fer yer service (FD). My older son is LEO in NJ, and his taxes are ridiculous also. He said as soon as he retires, he is outta there, LOL. I would have sent you a PM more detailed but no "conversation" link attached to yer Avatar.

ADDED: No PW here, too frigign expensive, just yer average MY 19 Bighorn running some decent tires. Very frequent GG truck, and pull trailer once in a while for hay and such.

CAVEAT TO THE OP: HEY, your money, wallet, your Bizness, if U can afford it and want a Power Wagon, buy it. I would get one but not gonna pluck down over 70K for a truck. Down here where I live, PW more like a status thing. But most PPL that look at PW, Buy 2500 and 3500 and trick them out with winches, metal bumpers and such for ranch work. Totally different concept. They also do the Cummins 6.7's for towing and power.

Last edited:

LugsLeadOut84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Your truck almost the same as MY 19 Bighorn, LOL. I saw yer property taxes amount and it makes me think: Hmmm, Best not post what I pay or complain. TY fer yer service (FD). My older son is LEO in NJ, and his taxes are ridiculous also. He said as soon as he retires, he is outta there, LOL. I would have sent you a PM more detailed but no "conversation" link attached to yer Avatar.

ADDED: No PW here, too frigign expensive, just yer average MY 19 Bighorn running some decent tires. Very frequent GG truck, and pull trailer once in a while for hay and such.

CAVEAT TO THE OP: HEY, your money, wallet, your Bizness, if U can afford it and want a Power Wagon, buy it. I would get one but not gonna pluck down over 70K for a truck. Down here where I live, PW more like a status thing. But most PPL that look at PW, Buy 2500 and 3500 and trick them out with winches, metal bumpers and such for ranch work. Totally different concept. They also do the Cummins 6.7's for towing and power.

Yes, sorry....I'm pretty transparent but the real point of it was to say...Yes, if I had more disposable income I'd love a PW. We're waiting for our son to finish HS then will probably move elsewhere. And the thank you is appreciated but not needed - it was the best job someone can have. Risks, yes. Traumatic and unforgettable experience 20 years ago, yes. But it was exciting and never a dull moment (well, there actually were some slow days) and most of all rewarding.

UTAHPWRWGN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I would say that you'd be paying for a lot of equipment you don't intend to use and choosing a vehicle that will be far less comfortable than many others that might be better suited for your purpose, but freedom. You do you boo.

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
i got my p/w just for the softer suspension and the lockers.i live rural and the roads are not well maintained.and winter is a killer here.it will eat a half ton truck in a very short time.i figured if i'm going powerwagon,i'm optioning it out with everything but ramboxes.it was expensive.very expensive.do i care what anyone else thinks? not one bit.i offroad it mildly.when i need to hardcore i take out the sidebyside.

Last edited:

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
as long as you don't need to haul crazy weight a power wagon is fine. If you do and your state doesn't do crazy inspections just toss normal 2500 springs in it and then you have the look and the towing. Or get a 3500 diesel and make it look like a power wagon. haha. just a couple bumpers a grille and some decals.