Tell me there's something better

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Churl Quinn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
Windshield Wiper Linkage Bushings - I replaced all of these less than a year ago and my linkage has already dismantled itself. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

upload_2021-3-18_12-38-22.png

RamRod37

2014 Ram 2500 HD 5.7 Hemi
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
If you replaced them with auto zone POS dorman part then that is your problem get Mopar bushings

OP
OP
Churl Quinn

Churl Quinn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
Got them from LMC. You might be right, but they are just a nylon/plastic plug how much better or worse can one be from another. I never saw Mopar bushings when I was looking for them. Where can I find the original Mopar's?

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
From a dealer in person, or online. Lots of times you can find OEM parts on Amazon or places like RockAuto. eBay is full of counterfeits, I don’t trust them.

Plastic parts may look the same, but there’s differences not visible to the eye, namely the quality of the resins. China is pumping out crappy plastic by the shipload.

It’s just like someone made a suspension part from pot metal instead of forged aluminum. It might look the same, but it isn’t.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
For years Chrysler bought the cheapest plastic bushing that they could find.

Like all the bushings that are used in the Climate Control Unit have had to be replaced all too soon, if you buy those same OEM bushings, you will have them go bad just as fast.

Several companies make bushings out of a better plastic & some are even making them out of aluminum.

The same thing goes for the cheap plastic that they made the dash boards out of in the Gen 3 Rams, the sun ate them up & the cracked
There are companies that have replacement dash boards out of a much better plastic

Mopar no longer carries the windshield wiper bushings
Rockauto carries the Dorman brand

Last edited:
OP
OP
Churl Quinn

Churl Quinn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
A somewhat thorough search for Mopar parts resulted in absolutely nothing. My truck is a 93 d150. Every site I found for Mopar parts only went back to 2nd gen pickups. So it's after market or nothing for me. I ordered mine from LMC figuring that they might be better/different from Dorman's. Apparently not. Asking here, I was hoping for something more substantial than a plastic plug. Oh well, back to square one.

PaPitt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
I've had about the same issues. My truck is a an 1988 . Mine maybe lasted 500 miles I don't drive it much in a year. But I believe MY Bushing were Motor Might .
As I remember .. & I don't believe my CHRYSLER DEALER STOCKED them any longer .
I used to work at that dealer..

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
i've used the dorman brand of bushings. I 'lubed' them with silicone grease prior to install. so far, they've held up pretty good. of course I park inside at all times, at home and when I drive my truck to work. that more than the silicone may be the big variable. unfortunately, I don't think there's anything better/available. I've considered making pivots with sealed bearings via cut/weld method. if this becomes an issue, may go that route.

OP
OP
Churl Quinn

Churl Quinn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
I've considered making pivots with sealed bearings via cut/weld method. if this becomes an issue, may go that route

I've also considered trying to engineer/figure out a better system using sealed bearings, but I can't weld and I don't think I'm that bright. I did also use silicone lube on the bushings when I installed them. I'll try again, maybe I'll have better luck.

TopHat

Reaction score
Ram Year
3 x 1985, 1992, 1981
Engine
360, 318, 225
I have the dorman bushings in my truck. Pliers, the right size socket, and getting a good "snap" when installing are the keys I have found to longevity. Mine have been in for around 6 months so far.

OP
OP
Churl Quinn

Churl Quinn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
UPDATE- I am now in the possession of MOPAR bushings (supposedly) from Troncalli Chrysler Jeep Dodge. One of my mates has a body shop and I was whining to him about the wiper bushings. He called Troncalli for some body repair parts and asked about the bushings. His parts sales rep says they are the real deal. I doubt it, but I will be installing them this weekend.