TERRIBLE experience with Ram

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
The only way this gets covered is if the OP is a regular customer at the dealer service shop. They typically won't go out of their way to get lower paying work ( which is typically what they get from the manufacturer for warranty work no matter what make). You can go in and talk your head off but most likely all they can hear is "Cha Ching, Cha Ching" which of course is the sound of your wallet getting drained.

MKM7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Most of you here seem to have been CONDITIONED to somehow think it’s ok to sell a vehicle that cost as much as houses did a few years ago and simple only care of it holds up as long as the warranty. F U beyond that.

A manufacturers dream! Ignorant consumers lash out at those that expect more.

I’m with the OP that issues like this SHOULD NOT occur, warranty or not in a truck with so few miles/age. The warranty is simply a time period that a manufacturer must fix something. Your conditioning to accept inferior quality might be exactly why manufacturers make a lot of inferior products designed with a short shelf life. Demand more from them.

Some models are well north of 50K. You really shouldn’t pay that kind of money and expect issues right as the warranty expires, a few years after purchasing. Engineers have a very good idea of failure rates. I have no idea about this part and am not accusing Ram of anything but I do know there would be a whole lot of ticked off Ram dealers if their service department was empty.

Think about it. Instead of attacking a guy that may have a legitimate complaint about overall quality regardless of warranty, demand even more from manufacturers.

These comments again are in general.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Most of you here seem to have been CONDITIONED to somehow think it’s ok to sell a vehicle that cost as much as houses did a few years ago and simple only care of it holds up as long as the warranty. F U beyond that.

I’m with the OP that issues like this SHOULD NOT occur, warranty or not in a truck with so few miles/age. The warranty is simply a time period that a manufacturer must fix something. Your conditioning to accept inferior quality might be exactly why manufacturers make a lot of inferior products designed with a short shelf life. Demand more from them.

Some models are well north of 50K. You really shouldn’t pay that kind of money and expect issues right as the warranty expires, a few years after purchasing. Engineers have a very good idea of failure rates. I have no idea about this part and am not accusing Ram of anything but I do know there would be a whole lot of ticked off Ram dealers if their service department was empty.

Think about it. Instead of attacking a guy that may have a legitimate complaint about overall quality regardless of warranty, demand even more from manufacturers.

Yeah, you try running a business where lines are not drawn for what you will warranty and how long. There is no extra warranty for the warranty period. You do not like the length of the warranty, then either buy an extended one or do not buy at all.

Seems to be a sliding scale of what people expect to be covered and by whom. That of course varies by how deep the pockets are of the entity they are trying to get extra concessions out of for non warranty repairs.

If one cannot cover repairs out of warranty, they then should be looking at the bus route for their transportation needs.

Last edited:

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Yeah, you try running a business where lines are not drawn for what you will warranty and how long. There is no extra warranty for the warranty period. You do not like the length of the warranty, then either buy an extended one or do not buy at all.

Seems to be a sliding scale of what people expect to be covered and by whom. That of course varies by how deep the pockets are of the entity they are trying to get extra concessions out of for out non warranty repairs.

If one cannot cover repairs out of warranty, they then should be looking at the bus route for their transportation needs.

This, so much of this. Exactly why I bought the extended warranty on both my Mopars, Peace of Mind.

2018 2500 6.4 4x4 4.10 Amsoil SS 0w-40
2016 Durango 5.7 AWD 3.07 Amsoil SS 5W-30
1996 Nissan Altima 2.4 Amsoil SS 5W-30

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine

Conditioned? No I believe it’s called reading and understanding a written contract that I signed. They say 3yr/36kmiles bumper to bumper and that’s what I agreed to. When you buy used there a box with an X that has “No Warranty” or ‘Warranty”. Sucks it happens but it does happen. If this is a huge concern then a lease or buying new every 3 years might be a much better option vs costly repairs. For myself buying used and taking the chance that I will have to pay for repairs is worth the risk.

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Conditioned? No I believe it’s called reading and understanding a written contract that I signed. They say 3yr/36kmiles bumper to bumper and that’s what I agreed to. When you buy used there a box with an X that has “No Warranty” or ‘Warranty”. Sucks it happens but it does happen. If this is a huge concern then a lease or buying new every 3 years might be a much better option vs costly repairs. For myself buying used and taking the chance that I will have to pay for repairs is worth the risk.

So much truth, that AS IS Box is one of those cone back to bite you in the Ass things.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
This, so much of this. Exactly why I bought the extended warranty on both my Mopars, Peace of Mind.

Same here. It's not that I will need it at least in the near term but I do sleep better at night knowing I have it.

As for the connector, you can't assume it's a factory or design defect. It may have been a flood vehicle or the previous owner could have done something so dont expect FCA to fix it. Now if this was a known issue that was widespread you would hope they would issue a recall.

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Same here. It's not that I will need it at least in the near term but I do sleep better at night knowing I have it.

As for the connector, you can't assume it's a factory or design defect. It may have been a flood vehicle or the previous owner could have done something so dont expect FCA to fix it. Now if this was a known issue that was widespread you would hope they would issue a recall.

Like the shift interlock? Or the Cruise Control thing......or the 32 gal fuel tanks not reading correctly. But you know, everyone wants something free.

I would just replace the connector, can’t be more than 20/25$ and some time spent cleaning the contacts.

MKM7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

They can’t warranty forever. That’s certainly true. But I think in many cases shortcuts are taken that shouldn’t be.

yillbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

lolol, you must not have read through everything.

for one, everyone, well, just about everyone gave a solid answer as to what might fix it. Secondly, we're saying shame on him, and apparently you, for not understanding what you purchased when you did. If lines are not drawn, when does the work stop? their MUST be a stopping point. Ram can't just say okay, well, you're only a few K out of warranty, we'll fix it for you. Then they'd have to do it for everyone. As I said before, this is WHY warranties exist. ALL of his issues stem from the same likely 5 dollar fix.

On the same page here their are numers of people saying " FCA took care of me " , " FCA did good "," Ram Does care ". I guess those are the minority? Negative, the people complaining are the minority, which is good, complaining is ideal in a marketplace of service. However; how can someone say " oh man.. this guy had issues after his warranty expired, and ram didn't fix it for free, this must be a ****** company ". They won't, no one does that. Comment still stands, hogwash on you for thinking the company is in the wrong.

Dgriffi2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Maybe I misunderstood, but the original post suggests at each problem, he called FCA but didn't bring it in anywhere to be diagnosed? He just kept driving as more and more dash lights came on? If I'm mistaken, I apologize, but dude, if that's the case, at some point you have to bite the bullet and get stuff fixed! As stated earlier, if you don't trust the dealership, find a reputable, local mechanic!

yillbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Maybe I misunderstood, but the original post suggests at each problem, he called FCA but didn't bring it in anywhere to be diagnosed? He just kept driving as more and more dash lights came on? If I'm mistaken, I apologize, but dude, if that's the case, at some point you have to bite the bullet and get stuff fixed! As stated earlier, if you don't trust the dealership, find a reputable, local mechanic!

How dare you suggest it might be his own fault.

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
How dare you suggest it might be his own fault.

Yeah man, it should have fixed itself, my Ram does.....so does my Dodge, it’s the best thing ever. All I do for it to fix itself is drop it off, and pick it up, good as new. It even details itself after its fixed! #winning

RHeller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Manufacturers are not required to offer warranty, and as far as I am concerned, would still sell ALOT of vehicles if all warranties costed money instead of offering good faith 3yr/36,000 bumper to bumper. I am happy they give any kind of warranty with a new vehicle, but if I had to buy a warranty when I bought a new vehicle, you can bet I would still buy a new vehicle!

NoveskeFan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Crew Cab Short Bed Copperhead Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Some people have very unrealistic expectations on what a company or manufacturer should do/cover.

Hypothetical:

My home builder had a one year “full coverage” on the entire property & home, including appliances, paint; basically any and all original builder related materials.

We spent good money on the house, it’s been longer than a year, extended coverage plans were available that I didn’t purchase, I’m mad the builder won’t cover the dishwasher that broke and “blast” them on social media.

If that seems ok, you might be a communist :)

Kinda like expecting a retailer to honor a sale price on something you bought a month ago. Sure, some do it to avoid the drama, but that shouldn’t be expected. Nothing would ever be on sale.

Manufacturers would go bankrupt if they did everything the general consumer wanted.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Like the shift interlock? Or the Cruise Control thing......or the 32 gal fuel tanks not reading correctly. But you know, everyone wants something free.

I would just replace the connector, can’t be more than 20/25$ and some time spent cleaning the contacts.

Agree completely, but seems to me his big issue is the dealer jumping right to a new harness for an outrageous price.