"Tesla Style" 10.4 Android Radio Information

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
mdifilippo

mdifilippo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
If the board doesn't come free after removing the 3 screws STOP! Check for the red glue.
IMG_20181228_164856.jpg IMG_20181228_164833.jpg

Step 4: Lift up on the board and use some pressure to remove the "core board" from the "main board", remember your Wifi and GPS connections are short, the Blue tooth is a short but free wire so that will not be taunt.

Comparing the two "core boards" you'll notice the new one has a large heatsink over the entire exposed surface. And the 3 antenna ports on the side.
IMG_20181228_165051.jpg

Step 5: Heat up the soldering iron and carefully de-solder the connections on the existing "core board" using a solder sucker may be helpful in removing the solder. Each connection has 2 solder points, the ground which is the outside most solder pad and the signal which is the smaller, inner solder point. On the antenna wires the ground is the insulated sheathing (metal part, not plastic) and the signal is the thinner interior wire. Add some solder to the new solder points on the board and solder on the wires the same way they were originally.
IMG_20181228_170207.jpg
Step 6: Seat the new "core board" onto the "main board" ensure it is fully seated and screw down.
IMG_20181228_170439.jpg

Step 7: Attach the ribbon cable and lock back the connector. You should be all set at this point! When you turn it back on you are starting with a fresh unit. You'll need to go through all your settings and reload apps.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Install Walkthrough for Phoenix Android Radios : 2G RAM 32 G ROM CORE BOARD FOR SELECTED ANDROID 7.1 FAST BOOT VERTICAL SCREEN HEAD UNITS

When you turn it back on after installing the new board you are starting with a fresh unit. You'll need to go through all your settings and reload apps.

Phoenix Android Radios offers 2 options; one is to ship the old unit back to them and have them install, the second option is to purchase the new unit, do the swap yourself and then send back the old unit for a partial credit refund. Phoenix Android Radios has mentioned they will not guarantee how this core board works with OTHER units, only their own.

I am not paid, sponsored, or have any relation to Phoenix Android Radios. I paid full price for the board and am assuming full responsibility for all actions and consequences, you should do the same if you proceed.

Tools Needed:
Variable Wattage Soldering Iron
Solder
#2 Philip Screw Driver
#1 Philip Screw Driver
(Optional) Solder Sucker
(Optional) 12 Volt power supply
(Optional) tweezers

Step 1: Remove the unit from your vehicle. Just as you installed it, be sure to take note of which connections are going to what if you have any RCA cables attached.
View attachment 150447

I opted to remove the unit from the bezel to make getting at it easier, you do not NEED to do this however I suggest it.

Step 2: You'll need to open up the main compartment (the big hump) on the back of the unit, there are 2 screws on each side (1 will likely be covered by a sticker) go ahead and undo all 4 with the #2 philip screw driver.
View attachment 150445 View attachment 150446

BE CAREFUL! At this point there is a ribbon cable connecting the main board in this box to the rest of the unit. Again, you can leave it in place and carefully work with the little bit of slack you have but I opted (and suggest) you disconnect the ribbon cable.

Step 3: Locate the ribbon cable on the "Main board", the connector will likely be covered by a piece of black fabric tape. Remove the tape, and using tweezer or a small flat head screw driver flip the brown lock up so you can carefully remove the ribbon cable.
View attachment 150456 (ribbon cable is on the bottom in this photo)

Now we can see the "main board" and the "core board" the core board is what we will be replacing. The "core board" is the smaller board with a metal casing over it. It uses a row of double headers to connect and 3 screws that hold it down. There may also be some red "glue" that is holding the board to the surrounding capacitors, if so carefully cut the glue free.

View attachment 150457
Ok, pretty easy...I did mine too. I am not experiencing the boot loop issue that you have. Did you redo/re-strip the antenna ends before soldering? I wonder if the insulation is damaged and shorting causing your boot loop issue?

If you'd like me to try something for you, let me know. The radio settings have changed significantly, I think these settings might be even newer than other 7.1.1 fastboot radio's.

So far, Car launcher pro is not launching they way it should at startup and the startup screen always begins on the language selection setup screen for me after flashing their latest firmware. The firmware they sent it with had only two themes.

The fastboot portion works but the restart on this unit is about twice as long as the non fast boot radio. If you need to restart to test settings or themes, I recommend downloading an app called Fast Reboot which will kill the Chinese UI temporarily (it restarts

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Continuing last post...

(It restarts automatically).

Here is the firmware it came with...

1fbd7e0ea349d509d88831ed5d0ddc4c.jpg

And here is after flashing the latest...

dfaa692a611126771f413dd9cdcdcff5.jpg

I wasn't thrilled about the packaging...

b2bde7d23e9122d90e3ec93a837154e4.jpg

e3e04188a77e4244eba96223f02eceec.jpg

OP
OP
mdifilippo

mdifilippo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
See post prior to install instructions

Last edited:

jon martin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Screen protector worked great thanks. Just installed back up camera today was pretty easy. I have been playing around with the car launcher, with the factory launcher the radio with play in the back ground when you hit the home button. With the car launcher if you it the home button the radio stops. Any FM radio that work better with the car launcher?

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Screen protector worked great thanks. Just installed back up camera today was pretty easy. I have been playing around with the car launcher, with the factory launcher the radio with play in the back ground when you hit the home button. With the car launcher if you it the home button the radio stops. Any FM radio that work better with the car launcher?
I'm playing around with FCC Launcher now which appears to have much more integration and recognizes the stock radio App. I can't recommend it yet but if you want to play around with it give it a shot.

jon martin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok thanks. Does anyone have the 3rd break light camera. Trying to see if you can get the back up and 3rd to activate when going in reverse

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Ok thanks. Does anyone have the 3rd break light camera. Trying to see if you can get the back up and 3rd to activate when going in reverse
I do and that would be awesome. What do you have in mind? I haven't tried...

jon martin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Was thinking when you go into reverse the top half would be the break light camera and the bottom would be the tailgate camera. I am guessing it would have to be a programming thing.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Was thinking when you go into reverse the top half would be the break light camera and the bottom would be the tailgate camera. I am guessing it would have to be a programming thing.
I've thought about that myself. If I'm not mistaken the bottom area is reserved for the 360 camera and/or parking sensors. I know there likely is A LOT of programming for that and I think it must be a USB camera if you can get anything there.

I'll look around on 4PDA to see if it's been discussed. It's definitely a good idea for truck owners.

jmckeejr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I've thought about that myself. If I'm not mistaken the bottom area is reserved for the 360 camera and/or parking sensors. I know there likely is A LOT of programming for that and I think it must be a USB camera if you can get anything there.

I'll look around on 4PDA to see if it's been discussed. It's definitely a good idea for truck owners.

Maybe you could try an automation app like Tasker or Automagic. It can control the screen and imitate touch commands so if in reverse (you'd have to find a way to trigger) it could open the camera app and switch to cargo cam. Or hopefully below 7mph launch front camera. I'm going to install Automagic when I finally get mine in the mail (damn holidays got it behind at least 4 days or I'd have it now). I'm hoping to make some task that will launch camera at low speed for parking, I got a camera to put on front. I'm not sure if the automation will work with temperature controls but I thought I could also set it to adjust Temp when I remote start and Temp is below certain threshold. I'm a longtime user of Automagic and it's by far the easiest to make tasks with. I'm able to do everything I need on my Note 9 without root that I used to root my phone for. With root you can do a lot more with these apps too. Has anyone rooted their HU?

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Maybe you could try an automation app like Tasker or Automagic. It can control the screen and imitate touch commands so if in reverse (you'd have to find a way to trigger) it could open the camera app and switch to cargo cam. Or hopefully below 7mph launch front camera. I'm going to install Automagic when I finally get mine in the mail (damn holidays got it behind at least 4 days or I'd have it now). I'm hoping to make some task that will launch camera at low speed for parking, I got a camera to put on front. I'm not sure if the automation will work with temperature controls but I thought I could also set it to adjust Temp when I remote start and Temp is below certain threshold. I'm a longtime user of Automagic and it's by far the easiest to make tasks with. I'm able to do everything I need on my Note 9 without root that I used to root my phone for. With root you can do a lot more with these apps too. Has anyone rooted their HU?
So, I recently installed FCC Launcher and it appears to have some of this already integrated. I've only used the options for the auto launch of apps though and not MCU controlled devices.

Again, good idea...I'll take a look at the app you mentioned too.

jmckeejr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
So, I recently installed FCC Launcher and it appears to have some of this already integrated. I've only used the options for the auto launch of apps though and not MCU controlled devices.

Again, good idea...I'll take a look at the app you mentioned too.

Do you happen to have a copy of the boot logo apk? The link on Russian site is 404. I think I may be able to get to it through QuickShortcutMaker but since I don't yet have my unit I'm trying to get things lined up while I wait. I think I'm going to do some initial setup in house if I can find a power supply.

And if you need any help with Automagic let me know, I have used this for years on my phones for tons of stuff.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Do you happen to have a copy of the boot logo apk? The link on Russian site is 404. I think I may be able to get to it through QuickShortcutMaker but since I don't yet have my unit I'm trying to get things lined up while I wait. I think I'm going to do some initial setup in house if I can find a power supply.
Sure, I'll PM you a link. If it's a fastboot version from Phoenix Android, the boot logo changer is now part of the MCU OS and the separate APK is no longer needed.

chille37

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I've installed the fast boot upgrade, and I still have no heated seats and auto lights still don't work.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
So I've installed the fast boot upgrade, and I still have no heated seats and auto lights still don't work.
Go to the system version screen, enter the code (7890), select RAM Hi. On the following screen ensure that "changyuantong with BAGU is selected and click OK at the bottom. On the left hand side click "save and reboot".

Let us know the results...

chille37

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No luck
Go to the system version screen, enter the code (7890), select RAM Hi. On the following screen ensure that "changyuantong with BAGU is selected and click OK at the bottom. On the left hand side click "save and reboot".

Let us know the results...

chille37

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
full