"Tesla Style" 10.4 Android Radio Information

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jmckeejr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
So I finally got my unit tonight and it must be slightly different that some others, I am not able to find a way to get it to power on in the house (hopefully it works on the truck tomorrow. I spliced grnd and + then I tried adding +accessory and no combination seems to work. I will test in truck tomorrow without installing and see if it powers on before going through all the trouble

OP
OP
mdifilippo

mdifilippo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I second getting a blackvue system if you're serious about a dashcam setup .I run a blackvue 750 2 channel setup and love it. I do also have a front camera installed for the headunit. It was like $20 on Amazon.

What are the soexs on the power adapter you used your try and bench test your unit? It's possible they did away with that in the newer version. Good luck.

jmckeejr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I second getting a blackvue system if you're serious about a dashcam setup .I run a blackvue 750 2 channel setup and love it. I do also have a front camera installed for the headunit. It was like $20 on Amazon.

What are the soexs on the power adapter you used your try and bench test your unit? It's possible they did away with that in the newer version. Good luck.

jmckeejr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Tested output on power supply first one was 16v but supposed to be 12 per the markings, second was 12.8. it does work in the truck so I will have to use hotspot to get set up.
I thought there would be more than one aux input for audio but there's only one on my unit. I am getting a split to keep the factory aux and the extra aux/USB I put in the dash.
Anyway it seems to work so far, just need figure out how to change the truck image. Tried rename and put on radio root but it does nothing and there's even an option to choose image but it doesn't recognize the ones I have apparently (wrong folder maybe?).

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Tested output on power supply first one was 16v but supposed to be 12 per the markings, second was 12.8. it does work in the truck so I will have to use hotspot to get set up.
I thought there would be more than one aux input for audio but there's only one on my unit. I am getting a split to keep the factory aux and the extra aux/USB I put in the dash.
Anyway it seems to work so far, just need figure out how to change the truck image. Tried rename and put on radio root but it does nothing and there's even an option to choose image but it doesn't recognize the ones I have apparently (wrong folder maybe?).
Here you go...

https://www.ramforum.com/index.php?posts/1903916

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

jmckeejr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Here you go...

https://www.ramforum.com/index.php?posts/1903916

Is that still working for you after upgrade to the 7.1 chip? I actually have an option in settings to choose logo but it says no file found. I am able to change the boot logo but my truck is a big red monster truck compared to the white one pictured.

And has anyone installed Netflix and find working version? I download from site and it works but plays zoomed in and can't do split screen. Was hoping to have this working for the kids when on road trips.

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Is that still working for you after upgrade to the 7.1 chip? I actually have an option in settings to choose logo but it says no file found. I am able to change the boot logo but my truck is a big red monster truck compared to the white one pictured.

And has anyone installed Netflix and find working version? I download from site and it works but plays zoomed in and can't do split screen. Was hoping to have this working for the kids when on road trips.
For Netflix, try changing from PAL to NTSC in the hidden menu. The picture change did originally work for me. I don't use the stock launcher anymore so it's not an issue for me, but I did check and now the image is blank (no truck at all).

jmckeejr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
For Netflix, try changing from PAL to NTSC in the hidden menu. The picture change did originally work for me. I don't use the stock launcher anymore so it's not an issue for me, but I did check and now the image is blank (no truck at all).

Are you using FCC launcher now? I think I will try that one

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Are you using FCC launcher now? I think I will try that one
Yes, it's pretty good. I'm still figuring out a few things though. I did have to set it as the default navigation app, then set the radio setting to start navigation at startup to get it to work properly for now though.

If I ever get root, this too will be a non issue because I'll likely replace the top bar anyway.

jmckeejr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Yes, it's pretty good. I'm still figuring out a few things though. I did have to set it as the default navigation app, then set the radio setting to start navigation at startup to get it to work properly for now though.

If I ever get root, this too will be a non issue because I'll likely replace the top bar anyway.

Let me know any progress on root, I am going to read into majisk now. Do you know if the Phoenix update will work on my unit? The mcu version looks different but everything else the same. I put on flash drive and it also if I want to install but I am a bit worried to test it if I don't have a backup rom to install.
20190106_103216.jpg

jmckeejr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I notice today when I switch to RPM and speedometer view it just shows 0. Any ideas? Is there anywhere I can test info going to radio?

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Let me know any progress on root, I am going to read into majisk now. Do you know if the Phoenix update will work on my unit? The mcu version looks different but everything else the same. I put on flash drive and it also if I want to install but I am a bit worried to test it if I don't have a backup rom to install.
View attachment 151366
Yes, the Phoenix firmware should work just fine.

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I notice today when I switch to RPM and speedometer view it just shows 0. Any ideas? Is there anywhere I can test info going to radio?
Do you have this installed in a Ram truck?

jmckeejr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Do you have this installed in a Ram truck?

Yes, ram 2500 SLT (2014). I message the supplier he said they lay have to do an update but there engineers are off for a while. I may try the Phoenix update when I get back as I'm leaving for a cruise tomorrow morning

Edit: I also just noticed every single app that needs accessibility keeps getting turned off as soon as I leave settings app. Plus I tried making Google the assistance and but it gets cleared out too. Really annoying.

Last edited:

Tyrel Hullum

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Where could I get the most up to date firmware? Also, what is the process with uploading this as this will be a first for me? Thank you.

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Where could I get the most up to date firmware? Also, what is the process with uploading this as this will be a first for me? Thank you.
Where did you buy it from and post a picture of your system information screen. It will look like this...

4346e701bf4c8675be10af3434e66eec.jpg

Dani

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V23
So what have you guys done to upgrade the 4.4 to 7.1? Did you initially buy your radio from Phoenix or someone else?

What improvements have you noticed on 7.1 over 4.4? Does it boot up quick or same 30-40sec wait? Any issues ? Thanks

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
So what have you guys done to upgrade the 4.4 to 7.1? Did you initially buy your radio from Phoenix or someone else?

What improvements have you noticed on 7.1 over 4.4? Does it boot up quick or same 30-40sec wait? Any issues ? Thanks
See the instructions from the OP in this post. He lays out all the steps in detail...it actually boots slower but the new chipset has a sleep mode which makes the resuming of the radio after turning on the vehicle almost instantaneous. I like it, but besides boot and a later Android version there is pretty much no difference.

https://www.ramforum.com/index.php?posts/1906159

jmckeejr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I set my sleep time to 48hr and it is on as soon as I start truck unless I don't drive for couple days. 7.1 will support more apps but I don't think there's any root options yet

OP
OP
mdifilippo

mdifilippo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Yup basically they built in a "sleep timer" in the settings you can select up to 48 hours, so if your truck sits for 50 it'll take about 30-45 seconds (didn't time it but seemed slightly longer than the 4.4 version) to bootup. Start it within that 48 hours and it is instant. Newer version of android so if you've come across any apps that weren't compatible there you go.

Upgrade is pretty simple and you also have the option to send your unit back to phoenix (if it is their unit) to have them do the upgrade and "work out any kinks" (as they put it) for you.