"Tesla Style" 10.4 Android Radio Information

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matt12eagles

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Interesting, I'll have to look into it when I have time. If the upgrade is possible the hardest part will be compatible firmware for our units...

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk
I have a strong strong feeling that a single company mass produces the SOM boards, adds a different CPU (px3,px5,px6) and ram sizes and make them plug and play. I highly suspect our SOM to be a MTCD/MTCDE and our MCU will be a standard one listed on the compatibility page here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/an.../comprehensive-updated-mcu-list-mtcd-t3476880

All of the 4.4.4 options and the newer 7.1.1 specs align perfectly. The only tell tale sign is to simply inspect the chips. Before you install it, take a look at the SOM they send you. You might have to remove the heat sink to visually read what board type it is. If you do remove the heat sync, re apply some Arctic silver paste. If your not comfortable, I was going to do that anyways upon arrival to ensure my unit never overheats. it is always better than stock thermal paste. Amazing how much money Microsoft would have saved on the Xbox red ring of death issues by just using proper thermal paste...

Excited to get my hands on a unit!
Interesting, I'll have to look into it when I have time. If the upgrade is possible the hardest part will be compatible firmware for our units...

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
If your referring to the one that says system version yes
Ok if you press and hold that info screen you will be prompted to enter a password/pin which is probably 7891.

On the following screen in the system menu you need to ensure your settings are set like in this picture (the last three).

9b26fe0606b6b4b56ddd501be0de1308.jpg

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I have a strong strong feeling that a single company mass produces the SOM boards, adds a different CPU (px3,px5,px6) and ram sizes and make them plug and play. I highly suspect our SOM to be a MTCD/MTCDE and our MCU will be a standard one listed on the compatibility page here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/an.../comprehensive-updated-mcu-list-mtcd-t3476880

All of the 4.4.4 options and the newer 7.1.1 specs align perfectly. The only tell tale sign is to simply inspect the chips. Before you install it, take a look at the SOM they send you. You might have to remove the heat sink to visually read what board type it is. If you do remove the heat sync, re apply some Arctic silver paste. If your not comfortable, I was going to do that anyways upon arrival to ensure my unit never overheats. it is always better than stock thermal paste. Amazing how much money Microsoft would have saved on the Xbox red ring of death issues by just using proper thermal paste...

Excited to get my hands on a unit!
Lol, can't tell you how many Xboxes I "baked" in my day.

I suspect you are right. I don't have any pictures under the heatsink but I did take pics of the first board I received...bd252f995d106964f46b24cfffae546c.jpg15e41f78f792b80bb41a0b1efa309ebd.jpge0b87ecaa27a672758edc7174ebf6657.jpg

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
See my last...one setting is off. You must reset the radio for the settings to take effect.

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I did change it and I restarted ,I thought I post the pic,then I changed theme and restarted as well and posted pic as well
Ok...I'm going to bed but I'll leave you with one last thing to try. The Air Supplier setting that is currently set to "CYT w/ Bagoo" is the right setting for most people, but it's possible your radio has some different parts. I want you to cycle through each one of those settings, restarting the radio with each change and see if you get different results.

If it doesn't work, get me those links and we will pick up again in the AM.

If this radio was recently purchased though, I would look into getting a refund. If you don't mind sharing, how much did you pay for it?

Jess Matson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
To anyone flashing the CANBUS update...DO NOT flash it if your Auto Headlights were ALWAYS working. The update was for people like me who installed the radio and there auto headlight was constantly on while set to auto regardless of the time of day.

I'm trying to get a hold of the original CANBUS update from Phoenix now. I'll post it when available.

I need to update mine. Would love to get the link and info from you

Jess Matson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I bought my radio over a year ago from a dude on Ebay in China. After not getting any temp control I removed it since it was winter.

I installed it again yesterday to give it another try. Was thinking of selling the unit than I found you guys.

So my temp controls are off to get any hot air I have to crank it to 90. It also doesnt display correct temp, headlights always on, heated mirrors dont work.

And the thing that bugs me most the radio volume and phone are the same. So when a call comes in I have to crank the volume up to hear it and than back down for the radio.

The unit is outdated so I need to update it. It's also very very laggy.

20190228_063034.jpg

20190228_063049.jpg

Danny Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
This thread is designed to provide hands on feedback and information to the forum regarding the 10.4 Vertical Android Radio "tesla style". This is built upon the "Any tesla radio installs" thread which has grown to over 40 pages. I am not sponsored nor have any relation to any brands, companies, or sellers. All of the information in this thread is for educational purposes only and I will not be held responsible for any damages or issues should you decide to follow any of the information in this thread. Posts will be broken down in a somewhat categorical way and I'll provide as much information as I can. I welcome other's who own the unit to contribute but please keep the information in a concise manor.

Unit Options and Where To Buy:
  • The unit itself is a 10.4 inch vertical touch screen device running android version 4.4.4. This is the ONLY version of android these units run and will ever run. If you see it advertised as higher version it is false (some companies "fake" the android version on the unit to read at version 6.0) The unit is not technically an android tablet but an android appliance, this along with the processor installed in the unit is the limiting factor to being able to upgrade the android version.
  • There are two versions available for purchase; 1/32 and 2/64. 1G of Ram and 32G of flash OR 2G of Ram and 64G of flash. Any other combination is false advertising and again can be "faked" on the unit itself.
  • I have personal experience purchasing from both Espony-cargo.com as well as PhoenixAndroidRadios.com. These units can be found on ebay, alibaba, as well as other sites.
  • Espony-Cargo.com as of 2/16/18 has a note that the unit is 1G of ram 32G of flash HOWEVER in the hardware parameters it is listed 2G ram 32G flash. I believe this is in response to multiple buyers (myself included) reporting them for falsely advertises the unit as 2G of ram. Espony-Cargo also offers minimal technical support all of which is through email.
  • PhoenixAndroidRadio.com offers both version and I can vouch that the 2G/64G is correct and verifiable via 3rd party apps. Phoenix also offers support via their Facebook page, email, and has a California based support telephone number. They are quick to offer up help.
  • To the best of my knowledge these are the EXACT SAME units no matter where you buy them from so long as the specifications (ram and flash) are correct.
Link to buy it on PhoenixAndroidRadio and Espony-Cargo. Both sellers have a few discount codes floating around, all I'll say is take a look on their facebook pages and a quick google search should get you some results.
Some stock photos of the units, real photos will be posted in other sections of this thread.

WeChat_Image_20170815234522_1024x1024.jpg TB2uvemXYMlyKJjSZFlXXbMoFXa__2222177650_1024x1024.jpg
looks killer, plan on upgrading to this one day this summer