"Tesla Style" 10.4 Android Radio Information

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
mdifilippo

mdifilippo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I'm waiting to hear if they think it'll solve my temp reading issue. if they say yes I'll be grabbing the new unit.

yillbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The new 7.1 version under specs still says android 4.4

NapaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
Interested on your guys opinion of this unit from Alpine. https://www.crutchfield.com/p_500ILXF309/Alpine-Halo9-iLX-F309.html I want Carplay and I really like that you can pair unit with one of these https://www.crutchfield.com/p_500KA...e_kac-001_truck_accessory_controller&skipvs=T to controll all your accessories. Seems to solve the issue of where to add extra switches for things. Seems a like a nice combination but I know there are guys here that know alot more about this stuff than I do so I look forward to your comments!

mick1152

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Interested on your guys opinion of this unit from Alpine. https://www.crutchfield.com/p_500ILXF309/Alpine-Halo9-iLX-F309.html I want Carplay and I really like that you can pair unit with one of these https://www.crutchfield.com/p_500KA...e_kac-001_truck_accessory_controller&skipvs=T to controll all your accessories. Seems to solve the issue of where to add extra switches for things. Seems a like a nice combination but I know there are guys here that know alot more about this stuff than I do so I look forward to your comments!

Looks nice, I was looking at something like this but decided on this Tesla style Android unit because I think it looks way more finished and like it belongs there. I'm hopeful I can connect a USB Relay controller to it and do the same thing through it's interface.

OP
OP
mdifilippo

mdifilippo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Looks nice, I was looking at something like this but decided on this Tesla style Android unit because I think it looks way more finished and like it belongs there. I'm hopeful I can connect a USB Relay controller to it and do the same thing through it's interface.

Skip looking for a USB relay, go with a WiFi relay. Here's a 4CH one as an example for you
https://www.amazon.com/Sonoff-4CH-A...F8&qid=1524778694&sr=8-14&keywords=wifi+relay

There are a ton of options out there

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

I just purchased an 8" alpine X108U that will accept the electrical switch adaptor. Will be nice not having to run a pod with switches, and an S-pod under the hood. I dont use carplay, so thats why I got the X108U. The X208U is 8" and has carplay.

NapaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
I just purchased an 8" alpine X108U that will accept the electrical switch adaptor. Will be nice not having to run a pod with switches, and an S-pod under the hood. I dont use carplay, so thats why I got the X108U. The X208U is 8" and has carplay.

Cool. Look forward to you posting your experience of using the alpine truck accessory controller nice that they thought of this for truck owners but haven't seen too many comments about it on the forum yet.

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cool. Look forward to you posting your experience of using the alpine truck accessory controller nice that they thought of this for truck owners but haven't seen too many comments about it on the forum yet.

It will be a while before i get it installed, but I will make sure to give an update. Sucks you have to pay $200 for the electrical switch module, but is worth it in the end.

NapaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
It will be a while before i get it installed, but I will make sure to give an update. Sucks you have to pay $200 for the electrical switch module, but is worth it in the end.

I agree it's a little pricy seems like half that price would be about right but I agree if you want to have accessories in your truck it's worth it.

BobbyB1017

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the exact same problem. I complained about this and they sent me a new harnes with all 8 wires but the rear speakers still don't work. My next step when i have some time was to wire a single external speaker to the outputs to see if there's actually sound coming from all 4 channels. I did find the the pinouts for both the unit and the RAM, ill post em tomorrow when I'm at my computer.

Sent using Tapatalk
I've been going back and forth and now they've stopped answering me. I f in ally sent an email that I will be contacting PayPal if I do not hear from them in 2 business days for selling me a unit that doesn't work. So you wired the other 4 missing pins and the rears still don't work?

Fluxlicious

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've been going back and forth and now they've stopped answering me. I f in ally sent an email that I will be contacting PayPal if I do not hear from them in 2 business days for selling me a unit that doesn't work. So you wired the other 4 missing pins and the rears still don't work?
Nope they don't work with all 8 audio wires. Overall I find that the audio quality went down compared to my stock unit. I have the Alpine Sound System and before i could blast it so loud i couldn't look through my mirrors because of the vibrations. Now that's gone. I must admit, its in in rare occasions i put it this loud, but now i just can't.

EDIT: this information is incorrect, after some testing the 8-wire harness actually works as it should. It's because i have the Alpine system things are messed up. More info below.

Last edited:

BobbyB1017

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Nope they don't work with all 8 audio wires. Overall I find that the audio quality went down compared to my stock unit. I have the Alpine Sound System and before i could blast it so loud i couldn't look through my mirrors because of the vibrations. Now that's gone. I must admit, its in in rare occasions i put it this loud, but now i just can't.
Ah. There's a difference. I dont have alpine stereo. For alpine didn't you have to wire using the rca outs?

Fluxlicious

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ah. There's a difference. I dont have alpine stereo. For alpine didn't you have to wire using the rca outs?
No, the alpine system doesn't introduce any new connections, it's hooked up to the main harness of the RAM. The alpine system does work, i can clearly hear that the subwoofer is working and the front sound is normal (just can't get that loud anymore), just the rear speakers are mute. Well actually to be precise, the rear speakers in the doors do work, but like at half the volume. The rear headliner speakers are completely mute.

I do wonder how the Alpine system is wired, haven't found any wiring diagram for that.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
No, the alpine system doesn't introduce any new connections, it's hooked up to the main harness of the RAM. The alpine system does work, i can clearly hear that the subwoofer is working and the front sound is normal (just can't get that loud anymore), just the rear speakers are mute. Well actually to be precise, the rear speakers in the doors do work, but like at half the volume. The rear headliner speakers are completely mute.

I do wonder how the Alpine system is wired, haven't found any wiring diagram for that.
If I'm not mistaken there is a factory Alpine Amp. Maybe that's where your problem is.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

hoe...

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The alpine system uses canbus, no speaker wires need to be connected at all.....
All audio goes via the main plug on the radio

Sent from my SM-T355Y using Tapatalk

Fluxlicious

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I finally had some time today to measure out the speaker outputs and i got to tell you the 8-wire harness actually works as it should. Balance & Fader work perfectly, i tested each audio channel separately.

This is the 8-wire harness:
IMG_20180504_174607.jpg IMG_20180504_174557.jpg

The alpine system uses canbus, no speaker wires need to be connected at all.....
All audio goes via the main plug on the radio

Sent from my SM-T355Y using Tapatalk
For some parts (bass, treble, ???) it uses the can-bus, but the actual audio signal is still coming from the wires. I'm trying to figure out how the Alpine system works.

Last edited:

mick1152

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well I got the 7.1 fastboot version of this the other day and got it installed without too much trouble. I have an Express which has steering wheel controls and those aren't working. Can't configure them with the steering wheel controls menu either.

I got into the Advanced menu and changed to Ram - High and it enables the steering wheel controls but then it changes the Climate Control system to one expecting dual zone temperature controls and nothing on it works, can't change the vents, or temp, or fan speed. Talking with Phoenix and hopefully they will find a solution, I think this device is awesome but honestly if I can't get my steering wheel controls I may return this.