"Tesla Style" 10.4 Android Radio Information

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

XDA guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 L
Update on the bootleg unit. Even though the screen have those bezels, it has better quality than the other unit I had- didn't expect that. Everything seemed to work - even my AC [emoji38] but since there's something always wrong with these things, this one seems to have hardware issues.

For some reason, the hazard lights can't be turned off. Once I connect the white harness they start blinking and pressing the front button doesn't do anything. The only way to shut them off is disconnecting the harness. Anyways, I will be requesting my refund and will be joining the 8.0 bandwagon by buying a unit from Phoenix. 3b3718952d7997451b44c474d5259a85.jpg

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Edit: sorry about the bad pics below, but I had the unit out for a video I was shooting for Rhino.
6e9d8f80d33c181fa553f51cf5fc9034.jpg

Last edited:

Rt baugher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have been thinking about getting this for a while and i'm on the fence. I've seen good and bad reviews. 1 question is does the navi need wifi to work or will it work without it. Can anyone give me advice for or against this product? Mine has rear camera but no Navi and i want Navi.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L EcoDiesel
I have been thinking about getting this for a while and i'm on the fence. I've seen good and bad reviews. 1 question is does the navi need wifi to work or will it work without it. Can anyone give me advice for or against this product? Mine has rear camera but no Navi and i want Navi.
It's an android unit, so any map will do that can work offline (including google maps if you preload the maps at home when you are near your home wifi). Otherwise, yes, you will need a constant WIFI connection. Most of us tether a phone or have a dedicated car line. Or you can use a dongle and install car play or android auto.

If you are OK to tinker around a bit and spend a some time to dial in the settings these units are very rewarding. They give a big range of customization and virtually allow you to run just about any android app that is found on the play store.

I personally use google maps but I use my phone as the internet connection. I have a low speed (3MB/s) unlimited plan with Cricket Wireless. This is sufficient, so I can stream music this way and get traffic updates, etc.

Last edited:

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
It's an android unit, so any map will do that can work offline (including google maps if you preload the maps at home when you are near your home wifi). Otherwise, yes, you will need a constant WIFI connection. Most of us tether a phone or have a dedicated car line. Or you can use a dongle and install car play or android auto.
All this, but to pile on...both Google maps and Waze can be used offline on these radios. In the case of Maps, you can download offline maps for your region (or several regions).l, but for Waze you must route your trip while connected to WiFi to cache it.

When you step off with either option you will not get any real-time updates. In the case of Waze, you cannot deviate from the route you chose while connected.

I still believe the 8.4 OEM upgrades are the best option, but if you want to connect new cameras, peripherals or have an extremely high level of customization (relatively) then these radios can't be beat in our trucks.

I recommend a middling level of technical proficiency OR the patience of a saint if you wish to use T-Style radios though.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I don't know if @Wayne Stella was planning to post this himself, but he apparently had some success adding the missing radio options with AlfaOBD to the EVIC so they can be modified...maybe he can chime in and explain it?

https://www.ramforum.com/index.php?posts/2075200

XDA guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 L
Apparently, Rhino Radios wants to avoid at any cost that I return this thing and get my full refund. They say the spring inside the plug got stuck and that I should removed the black radio tap at the buttom of the radio, then remove the four screws and I will see a spring inside and the hazard button will be fixed . They sent this on writting, I'm quite hesitant but at the same time curious of opening that thing. Thoughts?

Last edited:

Wayne Stella

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I don't know if @Wayne Stella was planning to post this himself, but he apparently had some success adding the missing radio options with AlfaOBD to the EVIC so they can be modified...maybe he can chime in and explain it?

I was going to post after work today. Some folks may remember I was trying to figure out a way to activate the "Vehicle Settings" menu on the 7" evic screen as we lost most of the settings when installing this radio unless you had an RA1 radio. The RA1 radio did not come with that menu ability so it was in the evic. RA2 and RA4 radios had the menu in the radio so it was not activated in the evic. I found out by asking in the AlphaOBD thread if anyone knew of a way to activate the menu in the evic using AlphaOBD. Voila! Someone did and it is pretty simple. In AlphaOBD connect in the Body Computer and go to Car configuration change/ECUConfig 4-IPC Feature Configuration/ Value yes and it works great.

My post in AlphaOBD was "If my bad back would allow me to dance a jig, I'd be dancing right now. Thank you! Since putting the premium 7" evic in the dash, coupled with the Tesla Style radio I had lost all of those settings as they were in the RA2 radio. I now have the "Vehicle Settings" menu in the evic. It allows access to trailer settings, compass settings, etc., all the items in the "Console Menu" of the Tesla radio that do not work or are just not there. As you said before it should be added to the known working items if it isn't already there."

I am a happy camper today.

big daddys house

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Apparently, Rhino Radios wants to avoid at any cost that I return this thing and get my full refund. They say the spring inside the plug got stuck and that I should removed the black radio tap at the buttom of the radio, then remove the four screws and I will see a spring inside and the hazard button will be fixed . They sent this on writting, I'm quite hesitant but at the same time curious of opening that thing. Thoughts?
My only concern would be that they would void your warranty even though they're the ones that told you to do it.... Super sketchy bro

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Tapatalk

Lawsuit11

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7

It’s easy. I just happened to see his post and I also just did this to my 7” evic

Connect to the bcm
Car configuration changes
ECUConfig 4 - IPC feature configuration
Value - YES

Although I have a UAQ and the settings in my radio it’s nice to have them in the evic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wayne Stella

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I was going to post after work today. Some folks may remember I was trying to figure out a way to activate the "Vehicle Settings" menu on the 7" evic screen as we lost most of the settings when installing this radio unless you had an RA1 radio. The RA1 radio did not come with that menu ability so it was in the evic. RA2 and RA4 radios had the menu in the radio so it was not activated in the evic. I found out by asking in the AlphaOBD thread if anyone knew of a way to activate the menu in the evic using AlphaOBD. Voila! Someone did and it is pretty simple. In AlphaOBD connect in the Body Computer and go to Car configuration change/ECUConfig 4-IPC Feature Configuration/ Value yes and it works great.

My post in AlphaOBD was "If my bad back would allow me to dance a jig, I'd be dancing right now. Thank you! Since putting the premium 7" evic in the dash, coupled with the Tesla Style radio I had lost all of those settings as they were in the RA2 radio. I now have the "Vehicle Settings" menu in the evic. It allows access to trailer settings, compass settings, etc., all the items in the "Console Menu" of the Tesla radio that do not work or are just not there. As you said before it should be added to the known working items if it isn't already there."

I am a happy camper today.

However........ If you remember the compass in the evic would not display the current heading. It is still stuck on whatever it is set at in the Tesla radio. I can now access the settings but I can't get it to work. This leads me to believe it is related to the Tesla radio and not the evic. I'm replacing the overhead console this evening with one that has Homelink. It also has a different compass module so if nothing changes and it still does not work I can eliminate the compass module as the problem. I'll keep trying. Who knows maybe something will come out of the woodwork and it will magically work since Phoenix still has not replied to my many messages on FB or to my emails.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Return it. You'll regret anything else. If you need more reason the screen size is not as pictured and/or advertised.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
It’s easy. I just happened to see his post and I also just did this to my 7” evic

Connect to the bcm
Car configuration changes
ECUConfig 4 - IPC feature configuration
Value - YES

Although I have a UAQ and the settings in my radio it’s nice to have them in the evic.

Hell, I don't have most of the options to turn on and off but plan to add it to mine as well!

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
@SitKneelBend @big daddys house. Yes, you are right there is something fishy about that. I just told them I don't want to avoid the warranty. They replied " Please make sure the radio is securely packed to avoid transit damage" ha!
You'll sleep better this way. These can be temperamental as is...

Lawsuit11

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hell, I don't have most of the options to turn on and off but plan to add it to mine as well!

Lol yeah well the options you do have you can change. It has everything that the OEM radio has so your compass and light settings. DRL settings etc

big daddys house

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
However........ If you remember the compass in the evic would not display the current heading. It is still stuck on whatever it is set at in the Tesla radio. I can now access the settings but I can't get it to work. This leads me to believe it is related to the Tesla radio and not the evic. I'm replacing the overhead console this evening with one that has Homelink. It also has a different compass module so if nothing changes and it still does not work I can eliminate the compass module as the problem. I'll keep trying. Who knows maybe something will come out of the woodwork and it will magically work since Phoenix still has not replied to my many messages on FB or to my emails.
That might be the key to why mine works and yours doesn't because I replaced my overhead console with the Homelink..
the bonus is you'll be able to open up your garage or turn on lights in your house from the truck! [emoji5]

Wayne Stella

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
That might be the key to why mine works and yours doesn't because I replaced my overhead console with the Homelink..
the bonus is you'll be able to open up your garage or turn on lights in your house from the truck! [emoji5]

I don't think so. It worked fine with the RA2 radio. I'll know shortly.

big daddys house

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't think so. It worked fine with the RA2 radio. I'll know shortly.
After you get done installing the Homelink, if it doesn't work right off the bat, don't forget to go into Alfha OBD turn off the compass and then turn it back on. That's how I got mine to come alive...

XDA guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 L
You'll sleep better this way. These can be temperamental as is...

They are throwing their last shot..after they told me to pack the radio carefully. They just asked me about the AC issue and if that was fixed. I told them I did not fully test it because the hazard button appeared on the initial set up but a good sign was the AC blower didn't automatically turned on like my previous unit.

They came back with:

"We changed manufacturer with this order as it has less issues with the AC part. I does have that redundant spring which may get stuck and depress the hazard switch. We usually have customer on the phone and walk them through the process of remoiving the spring. We don't count that as void warranty"

Ha! I hope they are not reading this forum!