Tesla style in a 2009-2012???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Michigan BIGHORN

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l Hemi (obviously)
Interesting... from your post history it seems you have a 2011 Ram? If so, the fact that they told you the unit for your vehicle is “out of stock” and I have a 2012, so same unit, and they just left out that “small” detail in their emails to me about my order and shipping times. I find this super shady, why wouldn’t they tell me that it’s out of stock??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm on them almost every day with email inquiries. One thing I've got to give them is they always reply and usually pretty fast. I keep getting told that my unit is currently being built and will ship once it's completed anywhere from 5-15 days from date of order. If nothing else maybe they will pick up the pace because of my constant pestering lol.
I'm not sure brother why they are telling you something different? As you said we both use the same unit. Only thing I can think of is since you ordered yours slightly before I ordered mine maybe you got one that was already built and by the time I ordered they were out of stock? Seems like a long shot but only thing that makes sense. Out of curiosity what was the final$on yours? I ordered the unit only with no add ons and paid $657 out the door.
Keep me posted on what's going on with yours and I'll do the same. We can help each other through this mess lol.
2011 no floor console, 3 front seats, manual AC

Michigan BIGHORN

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l Hemi (obviously)
Do these come with an amplifier connection?
Not sure but Phoenix Auto is really good at answering emails so I would visit they're website and shoot them an inquiry. I don't want to give you the wrong information so I'll just say I'm not sure.

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I'm on them almost every day with email inquiries. One thing I've got to give them is they always reply and usually pretty fast. I keep getting told that my unit is currently being built and will ship once it's completed anywhere from 5-15 days from date of order. If nothing else maybe they will pick up the pace because of my constant pestering lol.
I'm not sure brother why they are telling you something different? As you said we both use the same unit. Only thing I can think of is since you ordered yours slightly before I ordered mine maybe you got one that was already built and by the time I ordered they were out of stock? Seems like a long shot but only thing that makes sense. Out of curiosity what was the final$on yours? I ordered the unit only with no add ons and paid $657 out the door.
Keep me posted on what's going on with yours and I'll do the same. We can help each other through this mess lol.
2011 no floor console, 3 front seats, manual AC

I thought you ordered yours the night before mine? I ordered mine late Monday night (1:11am Tuesday) so technically they received my order when they arrived in their offices on Tuesday morning.

Here’s my order details:

Order Date: 08/11/20
Unit: 12.1” 6 Core PX-6 Android Radio
Spec: 4gb/64gb
Model: 09-12 Ram
Trim: Floor Console - Manual Climate Controls

Pricing:
$54.99 - 1080p DVR Dash Cam
$711.00 - 12.1” PX-6 6 Core Android Radio
$765.99 - Total

I had a 20% off promo code so the radio was $789.99 and went down to $711.00.

You have the jump seat so your radio is different then mine. You got the 10.4”. Since I have the floor console, mine is 12.1” and therefore a completely different unit. That must be why they told you yours was out of stock, but did not tell me that.

I also opted for the dash cam DVR which I thought would be a nice feature and my current dash cam can then point out my back window. I also ordered a tailgate backup camera off amazon which I’ll be installing when the radio arrives.

Michigan BIGHORN

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l Hemi (obviously)
I thought you ordered yours the night before mine? I ordered mine late Monday night (1:11am Tuesday) so technically they received my order when they arrived in their offices on Tuesday morning.

Here’s my order details:

Order Date: 08/11/20
Unit: 12.1” 6 Core PX-6 Android Radio
Spec: 4gb/64gb
Model: 09-12 Ram
Trim: Floor Console - Manual Climate Controls

Pricing:
$54.99 - 1080p DVR Dash Cam
$711.00 - 12.1” PX-6 6 Core Android Radio
$765.99 - Total

I had a 20% off promo code so the radio was $789.99 and went down to $711.00.

You have the jump seat so your radio is different then mine. You got the 10.4”. Since I have the floor console, mine is 12.1” and therefore a completely different unit. That must be why they told you yours was out of stock, but did not tell me that.

I also opted for the dash cam DVR which I thought would be a nice feature and my current dash cam can then point out my back window. I also ordered a tailgate backup camera off amazon which I’ll be installing when the radio arrives.

Here's what they sent me.
In regards to your order PAR23248
Since this is a brand new unit, it will be shipping out from China.
Processing normally takes 5-15 business days, where they do a compatibility check and quality test.
After processing, the unit will take 5-7 business days to deliver with standard shipping and 3-5 days with express shipping.
The shipping method you choose during checkout does not affect handling time.

We greatly appreciate your patience and understanding during this time! :)
Thank you.
I only had the 10% off of the$729 model with no add ons. Found the OBDII communicater on eBay for cheaper. I already have a back up camera factory unit so good there. Was going to get the universal backup cam and install it on the front but again found it cheaper on eBay.
Money was taken from my account on the 10th. I just remembered I ordered it around 4am since I couldn't sleep. Damn insomnia gets expensive lol

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Here's what they sent me.
In regards to your order PAR23248
Since this is a brand new unit, it will be shipping out from China.
Processing normally takes 5-15 business days, where they do a compatibility check and quality test.
After processing, the unit will take 5-7 business days to deliver with standard shipping and 3-5 days with express shipping.
The shipping method you choose during checkout does not affect handling time.

We greatly appreciate your patience and understanding during this time! :)
Thank you.
I only had the 10% off of the$729 model with no add ons. Found the OBDII communicater on eBay for cheaper. I already have a back up camera factory unit so good there. Was going to get the universal backup cam and install it on the front but again found it cheaper on eBay.
Money was taken from my account on the 10th. I just remembered I ordered it around 4am since I couldn't sleep. Damn insomnia gets expensive lol

Lmao I bought mine at like 1am-2am too haha. But yea I got the same exact email, word for word. Seems like auto-reply responses.

xbpopx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Any update on how the Phoenix unit is working out?

Roger hagle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
The difference in in 2009-2012, you have to replace the bezel the radio sits in. Bottom row of acc buttons on integrated in head unit and top row is relocated to top of bezel. 2013 and newer do not require replacing entire bezel.

dieseldave

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My 10.5 inch Tesla that I got from Linkswell 1 1/2 years ago had several issues and last week the tuner went dead . I paid $1000.00 JUNK JUNK JUNK.

ConorToot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
I got one from Phoenix Automotive for my 2012 Ram 1500 SLT with three front seats. Connecting it was super easy and it looks great. Some of the stuff works, but that's where the good vibes end.
First off, the thing is very much built for the 2012 and for the 2009-2012 physically. Everything fits together great. However, when I noticed that most of the listed features on the menus didn't work, I went to check the vehicle type to see if they selected the correct package or if there might be an option that was a better fit for the integration of the electronic features. Like in "Poltergeist", when they relocated the cemetery, they only moved the headstones and not the bodies. There were no listings for the 2009-2012 Ram. They selected a 2013 Ram because they guessed that it was close since it was only a year off. If you know about the difference between the can bus system of the 2012 and 2013 Ram models, one might as well be a Ford Tempest and the other a Chrysler K-car (greatest car ever made - not). That was my scene of me in the pool with caskets and corpses popping and bobbing to the top and I was playing the part of Craig T. Nelson because it only got worse.
When I got mine (three months after ordering it), I had no idea what they would do with the AC controls or other controls that were on the original dash. I am a bit of an electronics daredevil and ordered the almost $700 unit without having an accurate picture. The only ones I could find had the original controls below the screen but I knew that was their older and smaller head unit. Mine had no AC controls at the bottom anymore and the good ol' Chrysler knobs were gone, so were my knob spinnin' days of pretending I was an AC DJ in the Texas oven of my baked interior from March to late October, plus the majority of days between, every year like clockwork. Getting in my truck after thirty minutes of sitting 2' from the surface of the sun in every parking lot meant when I cranked it up I spun each know full tilt right and left to get the blower on high, the temp on a color of blue as blue as a azure blue sky, and the mode to a German fellow named Maximilian, but we know as MAX. Instead, at the very tippy top of a now raised dash that was raised to accommodate the massive screen was a row of buttons that I, at 6'3" tall, with the seat in the fullest up and upright position scotched with my chest against the steering wheel couldn't read the labels or see much of other than the stupid rainbow strobing lights that never stop but can be adjusted to shift through their rainbow bright spectrum in sync with the throttle pedal for whoever wants to impress my little pony, strawberry shortcake, or whatever pronouns their friends decide to use. They worked... They worked until I tried cooling the truck or heating the windshield to keep the ice from forming on it. I got my head unit in January after ordering it in November. Of course, the temperature went form 90 to 5 in an afternoon. Then I almost died in any one of several wrecks when I had to drive twenty miles home from work blind from ice on the windshield. Three days later, it was 90 again and I arrived at work drenched with sweat rings because it won't keep the AC clutch activated.
From day one, after installing it, I noticed that the blower had an issue. The sequence when pressing the plus sign from off was really low, kinda low, OFF!, hurricane force wind. After one tech support call I had learned how to update their software by loading ever conceivable piece of software in The of possession. It was the absolute worst support call I've ever been a part of because it wasn't a call at all, but it was getting a text every hour or so while I waited and texted back "hello? Is anyone there" twenty times then called their office seven or eight times to remind them that I waited a week fory appointment for this crappy service, and I had no resolution because the person helping me left for the day without telling me. I only realized this after sitting in my truck for an hour waiting for their response and called their office again to get a recording that they closed for the weekend. I scheduled another appointment and loaded everything again, but this time they had an actual person talk to me and relay messages to the "engineer" who determined my AC board was defective and I needed a new one. No $h!+?
Ten days passed and in my mailbox was one re-worked AC board, not near, but re-worked because I could see that they have had problems with all resistors labeled R109 as both had been replaced and the re-worked board had a really, really botched solder job done to a replacement transistor, one of three with the same part number originally, that was now a different part number. I watched a video, took notes, and reflected back ony 25 years of electronics repair career that started with repairing cockpit instrumentation, flight and armament control systems, and life support devices on F-18s when in the Navy and everything since. I opened the unit and removed the shrine of holy protective covers, then I saw it. This was the worst, most amateurish, most negligent, and the very pinacle of stupidity from anyone who has experienced electricity that I've ever seen. THEY GLUED THE DAMN CONNECTORS IN PLACE ON THE BOARDS!!!!!! AAAAAAAGGGGHHHH!!!. Never ever, ever, ever, ever glue connector in place, ever, ever, ever. Noatter what a person does, they should never, ever polite glue on a freaking electrical connector, ever, not even ever. So angry I could have heated the sun, I called Phoenix Automotive and did my best to remain "not hung up on." I'm certain it sounded like an angry Harry Calihan calling from 1974. "Why, and I mean the true meaning of 'why', would you put glue on a connection that was intended for some dumb a-hole like me to try and disconnect without damaging it, then send me a board to replace on my own you rotten lowlife dirty punk?!?!" I don't know what their reply was other than I was on my own. So, I wiggled and gently pried, and cussed, and wiggled again to try and free the tiny, minescule connector from its sarcophagus of epoxy. Then I pulled and the back of about half of the middle connector separated from the rest of it and flew into another dimension where it was never seen again. Wires straggled out loosely everywhere. And the sound of a red-neck with a very broad and well understood vocabulary could be heard in the distance from many miles away. Phrases and conjunctive words with adjectives and adverbs that, until this event, have never been put together before spewed from my mouth in an unholy attack on some imaginary moron that decided epoxy was a great idea to keep a connector designed with a locking tab in place so it didn't come loose. I made up a brand new lexicon of insults and new meanings for words that already had meaning to fill in gaps where existing insults were just not impactful enough. Tools began hitting the wall in the far end of my garage, some sticking like they were weapons intended to be thrown for the greatest affect. The whole time, I had Phoenux Automotive on speaker. The tirade lasted five solidinutes and the fit that followed lasted ten more.
Then, from the cab of my truck, I heard this tiny voice, "sir.... sir... are you d'ère sir? sir.. sir... Is ebry-ting okay sir?" My response was a serene and calm one, "Yeah, everything is great (with a big grin). How are you?" She asked again, "is ebry-ting okay sir?" More honestly, I informed, "well... See, this is why glue doesn't get used to hold a connector in place. If you have a connector that doesn't stay connected, then you've used the wrong connector. If that happens, what needs to be done is that the old connector gets removed and the correct one gets soldered to the board by a professional who has experience with replacing connectors. This is optimally done in prototyping before thousands of a manufactured product are produced. Why, youight ask? That's so some idiot doesn't have to pour epoxy, that bonds better and sets harder than the plastics that a connector is made from and that cause it to snap into little pieces when you ask a customer to correct something that was shipped to them with a defect that you obviously knew about, because you later shipped that customer the board with the new corrected work around parts installed. Other than the anger I have towards everyone at your company regarding everything that was already screwed up and you expected me to either not complain about, not notice, or fix myself, I'm fine! How are you?"
She asked, "do you still have the box the unit arrived in?" My blood boiled, the I answered a long drawn out, "yeeeeeeeeeesss." She continued, "okay then please disconnect the unit and ship it back to us so we can repair it."
At this point, I don't even want to continue my story. It's making me angry thinking about paying $700 and waiting three months for something that wasn't designed to function, wasnt built where it would possibly function, and doesn't come close to working as well as what I removed to update. Get a new truck if you want a new stereo. I'm pretty sure that's why all car and truck manufacturers designed and have moved to the can bus system in vehicles that it's completely uneeded, unnecessary, and could easily have every function with the older technology and method.

My recommendation - get a truck that has the stereo you want and never look at any newer vehicles that could tempt you with some feature you might possibly desire unless you want to buy the truck that comes with the stereo you want.