Testing my Injection pump?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tom Whitehead

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
24valve Cummins Diesel
Hi folks,

I had a breakdown the other day, here's how it happened: I pulled off to the side of the road because my bed cover was coming off. I thought I had taken it out of gear, but it was still in fifth. So when I let my foot off the clutch, it stopped – hard. And that was it – – when I went to start it, it just spun. Although: when I let the key back from start to run, it acted like it was maybe hitting on one cylinder. So it was turning over on its own for about 20 revolutions, and that it would die.

So I got it towed home. I plugged in the DTC meter, got one general code (P1693) which tells me I have another code somewhere else. On the engine side I have (P1688) which is: internal fuel injection controller failure. The impression I get from the Internet is that that is one of the Death codes. But I want to make a few tests first before I pull the pump. My fuel pump is doing a okay, I loosened the banjo not on the inlet to the injector pump, plenty of fuel. But it does not seem to be making it through the injector pump. I loosened the banjo fitting on the return side of the injector pump, I don't seem to be getting anything. Does that mean anything?

If any of you have any suggestions for further tests, I would like to know before I pull the entire pump and spend the $$$ to replace it. I was wondering if I had sheared a key on the pump drive when the engine locked up, I will check that out when I can get the truck into the shop. I also plan to wiggle the connections on the wiring harnesses, maybe that will help. And also look for any thing that might have fallen off when I stopped the engine so unceremoniously. Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Tom