That Dam Hemi Tick!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

David James

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I got the tick my lifter is eating my cam. I am already getting ready to rebuild my motor thanks to the help with Jay Greene. Just a quick shout out to him, He is awesome great customer service and super nice. so my question is on oil pumps, there are tons of conflicting information as to how to actually prevent the tick from happening. one theory was to increase the oil flow or the amount of oil reaching the lifters or top end. I have heard people using the Hellcat oil pump in the 5.7 and I think 6.4 as a preventive measure. Can anyone shine some light on this subject?
My 2016 Ram 1500 5.7 has 105k miles, never a hint of a tick, snick or flick. Use synthetic 5w20, good quality filters, 5k intervals. Have you had oil analysis done to prove internal situation? It’s a cheap diagnostic measure before opening things up.

Meatman8769

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hellcat forums are full of hemi tick threads and they all have hellcat pumps, obviously. I had hemi tick, been cured over a decade, no wrench turned. Change the oil characteristics instead if the oils flow. Nearly 100 rams from this board have done the same. But, it seams like you are doing a major rebuild, so why not do your thing and see if you have tick, if so look up the hemi tick threads. And whether or not if a hellcat pump would or wouldn't help, I'd say why not use it, why not use it over oem if you are building your engine up?
which oil are you running with what filter?

Meatman8769

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2021 Ram 1500 with the 5.7. At 900 miles the engine ticked upon cold start. I took it to the shop and they kept it for three weeks. I told the service manager not to start it before the three weeks. Three weeks later they started it and heard the tick. Service said it was normal. I was a mechanic for Ford and before worked on NYC taxi cabs. I told the service manager he was full of ****. Took the truck home. Changed the oil with REDLINE 5W30 and Royal Purple Extra Large Filter. The truck is over a year old and has 2200 miles. Ever since I used the REDLINE AND RP XL FILTER I can come back to the truck after a month or more and start it. Quiet as a mouse. I swear by this combination. Which I learned on this forum. I had a 2018 Ram Rebel before this truck which also had very low miles and had the tick. That is why I traded it in for the 2021.
really eh, 5 w30 red line and extra large rp filter? i was getting free oil changes from my dealership as of a perk for buying the truck but the free ones just ended. going to switch up to this same combo. are you able to find me the part number for this xl rp filter?

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yep, 20-820. I have purchased them from royal purple direct.com and if you buy 6 at a time, you get a little discount per filter.

OP
OP
CrasherAsher

CrasherAsher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
My 2016 Ram 1500 5.7 has 105k miles, never a hint of a tick, snick or flick. Use synthetic 5w20, good quality filters, 5k intervals. Have you had oil analysis done to prove internal situation? It’s a cheap diagnostic measure before opening things up.
Why does everyone assume i have not done my due diligence or that i don't properly maintain my vehicle. yes i run 5w20 and good filters and sometimes was doing 3k miles oil changes cause my idle times were so high. I took off my oil filter and there was metal in it so something is going on. I am very happy to here that your 2016 is running strong and I hope it continues for as long you own it. but have you taken into account that my truck is 7 years older then yours. nor do you know the history of my truck or what i use it for. and you come to me with the grand solution of "just change you oil more." if that was the solution wouldn't everyone be doing it?
i know this message is a bit passive aggressive but everytime i post on here i get people like yourself who assume i am complete dweeb who does not know the difference between a gas cap and oil cap. I do post on here looking for advice but maybe ask some questions before you give it.

Black1500Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Kinda new here so not sure how this works exactly....but I did the cam swap and lifters 2017 ram big horn with hemi....I did not change head bolts and now regret it!! I have a small water leak on passenger head...question is can I just change head bolts and re torque per specs or I need pull heads and new gaskets...bout 3 mo now since re build. Thanks for advice!!
You can exchange the headbolts one at a time following the sequence and you shouldn’t need to change gaskets pull the head etc.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Kinda new here so not sure how this works exactly....but I did the cam swap and lifters 2017 ram big horn with hemi....I did not change head bolts and now regret it!! I have a small water leak on passenger head...question is can I just change head bolts and re torque per specs or I need pull heads and new gaskets...bout 3 mo now since re build. Thanks for advice!!
Did you make sure you put the right head back on,on each bank,and are the head gaskets installed right,as you shouldn't have a coolant leak ,unless you installed the heads or gaskets incorrectly,even with re-using the factory torque to yield head bolts.

Cbisme72

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Well I was sure...what is confusing me is I rebuilt on April 4th and drove 700miles that week on a trip did fine perfect Temps and oil pressure no codes for 3 1/2 months did great...then a Lil pop noise every once in a while at start up...then followed by about a gallon of water a week , now its everyday I have to add some...only visible leak o see now is passenger front corner of head like #2 cylinder corner...maybe I did flip a gasket over wrong but seems wo I ld shown up right away...thanks for answering me and any advice is greatly appreciated!!

Cbisme72

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
You can exchange the headbolts one at a time following the sequence and you shouldn’t need to change gaskets pull the head etc.
Thanks much for advice...gonna give it a try before I tear back down...pray that works...or maybe my threads were dirty and it torqued before was actually tight...it was a low torque setting imo compared to older engines I've done. Idk will keep ya posted on progress! Thanks again!!

Cbisme72

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Well I was sure...what is confusing me is I rebuilt on April 4th and drove 700miles that week on a trip did fine perfect Temps and oil pressure no codes for 3 1/2 months did great...then a Lil pop noise every once in a while at start up...then followed by about a gallon of water a week , now its everyday I have to add some...only visible leak o see now is passenger front corner of head like #2 cylinder corner...maybe I did flip a gasket over wrong but seems wo I ld shown up right away...thanks for answering me and any advice is greatly appreciated!!
Quick update I just took valve covers off and re torqued heads...I was shocked at how loose several bolts were!! I did order new bolts waiting on them to arrive but iys not running hot as of now since retorqued them.

AJNY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
really eh, 5 w30 red line and extra large rp filter? i was getting free oil changes from my dealership as of a perk for buying the truck but the free ones just ended. going to switch up to this same combo. are you able to find me the part number for this xl rp filter?
I went to Summit Racing for the Redline 5W30 and Royal Purple XL Filter. I couldn’t find either one locally.

AJNY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This is the RP 20-820.

Attachments

• 82D412C5-0FC2-4799-888B-6D2970B58241.jpeg
    82D412C5-0FC2-4799-888B-6D2970B58241.jpeg
    81.7 KB · Views: 7

swapwap

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Had hemi tick on 2015 1500. Started at about 75k miles. Change the exhaust bolts as two were broken, fixed the problem, 6 months later tick came back, one bolt broken this time, suspected warped exhaust manifold.. replaced the passenger side manifold and never had a problem again. 115k mile no tick

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
OP's got more serious problems than manifold bolts sadly. He already has shorties to fix that issue. He found metal in the oil filter.

@CrasherAsher you getting that rebuild done yet? Gotta let me know how that shop does, hard to find a trustworthy shop these days.

Speaking of filters, having a hard time finding RP 20-820's in stock anywhere myself. Even summit has a special order for them right now.

OP
OP
CrasherAsher

CrasherAsher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
OP's got more serious problems than manifold bolts sadly. He already has shorties to fix that issue. He found metal in the oil filter.

@CrasherAsher you getting that rebuild done yet? Gotta let me know how that shop does, hard to find a trustworthy shop these days.

Speaking of filters, having a hard time finding RP 20-820's in stock anywhere myself. Even summit has a special order for them right now.
Thanks for always have my back buddy.

And I will keep you updated. I just dropped off the truck this morning. They said it will take about 2 weeks to get it done.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi

lately guys have reported getting theirs from rp direct website in oil filter thread, the last 3 pages or so. Buy 3 get free shipping.

AJNY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Another post the author said he is buying them directly from Royal Purple. I am surprised Summit doesn’t have them in stock. Guess the word is out….RP REDLINE 5W30.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedFlameRam