That little stupid hose....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matthew Wulf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I'm in the process of completely rebuilding my 5.9 magnum motor and I'm curious about this little hose on the top of the water pump to the intake manifold. It seems like it is unnecessary as the thermostat and outlet are right next to it. My new intake manifold came with a plug in that spot. I can unscrew the fitting from the water pump and plug the hole thus eliminating the need for that little hose and any risk of it splitting out. So here is my question. Does anyone know what happens if I do this? And so I understand, why is it there? What purpose does it serve? It's not part of the cab heater system

Moparfanatic21

U.S. Marine Vet - 0321, Now a Doctor...of Vehicles
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I'm in the process of completely rebuilding my 5.9 magnum motor and I'm curious about this little hose on the top of the water pump to the intake manifold. It seems like it is unnecessary as the thermostat and outlet are right next to it. My new intake manifold came with a plug in that spot. I can unscrew the fitting from the water pump and plug the hole thus eliminating the need for that little hose and any risk of it splitting out. So here is my question. Does anyone know what happens if I do this? And so I understand, why is it there? What purpose does it serve? It's not part of the cab heater system
It's the Bypass, you need it

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah, it goes into the intake manifold which connects that hose through the front of the intake to the water port in both heads.