The Base Model? Maybe Not.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ibsledge

Military
Reaction score
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I brought a quad cab as others said it was what I wanted, I don’t care about what everyone else thinks, resale isn’t a issue as I buy to use when and how I see fit. My suv (seats 7 comfortably) can be used if more space is needed. No kids at home, just me and the misses.

Slick61

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Yup... to each his own... I went from a Super Duty Supercab to a Ram 2500 Crew cab. My dog didn't have enough room in the back of the Supercab.

tbird71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well I traded in an Express single cab 6'4" bed on this one.
Drive a single cab with 20" wheels 1200 miles back home twice a year and you'll understand why

tomb

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 bighorn-cherry red
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Why would you want a quad cab when you could have a crew cab?
some of us prefer the quad cab-I have put the back seats up in my quad since new and lay down the hard floor-plently of room for my power tools-plus I have the 6.4 bed which is what I need most. I think you can get the 6.4 bed in crew cab but its harder to find. Quad cabs are great for some of us.DSC00559.JPG DSC00559.JPG

tomb

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 bighorn-cherry red
Engine
5.7 HEMI
There's always compromises. We use ours to commute back and
forth as we're snowbirds so a crew wasa better for us vs having
to stuff things in the bed, and as you know when on the road whatever you're looking for will be no where NEAR the tail

The Crew with a 6'4" bed would serve all purposes but that damn thing is LONGGGG...I would cuss it before praising it before it was over.

The Quad would also be a good choice but only if you HAD to have that 6'4" bed. I used to like the look of them but the more I looked that little bitty door with the handle just didn't look right (to me). And they're cramped vs the crew

Then there's resale and/or trade value down the road.
By FAR the most popular setup is the Crew Cab 5'7" bed with a 4X4
THAT'S the truck most everyone WANTS so worth more on trade
(Just MO on this)

Finally ended up with this 2011 Big Horn Crew 4X4
Done in Deep Ruby Red Pearl Metallic
Believe it or not it has 14,200 actual miles!
Orig tires still like new
Truck has been garaged since day one, and looks new in out and under
I can live with the 545RE 5 spd trans to get one like this
Has the hard Ram tonneau as well as the nice wheel to wheel side steps...exactly the truck
I was hoping forView attachment 184026

View attachment 184027
Unbelievable
Very nice--I love my quad Bighorn-2012

tbird71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nice ones Texram & Tomb!!

...That Deep Ruby Red Pearl metallic and the chrome handles on the 10-12 models really set it off. I like the Ruby MUCH better than the newer delmonico personally. Tex, if I had run onto that one with 14000 mi instead of my crew I would have bought it. MUCH better lookin Quad than the newer ones IMO

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
seriously tho, y do they even make quads?

Because people buy them for reasons.

Exactly. I prefer the quad cabs any day. The only thing I carry in the back seat is the dog and a few other items. I was extremely disappointed when I bought my 2500 and had to get the crew cab. With an 8' bed (which I needed) the truck is really looong.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
some of us prefer the quad cab-I have put the back seats up in my quad since new and lay down the hard floor-plently of room for my power tools-plus I have the 6.4 bed which is what I need most. I think you can get the 6.4 bed in crew cab but its harder to find. Quad cabs are great for some of us.View attachment 184063 View attachment 184063
LOVE your truck. That set up and shine is just plain awesome

O.R.T.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
@TexRam555

Here’s why. Quad cabs look better. Have a longer bed. Not everyone needs a Crew Cab.

tomb

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 bighorn-cherry red
Engine
5.7 HEMI
LOVE your truck. That set up and shine is just plain awesome
Thanks Rado--I baby my truck with hand washes only -and Meguiars cream wax-that is a recent pic--7yrs old and she still looks showroom --the rally stripes might not be for everyone-but it shows my love for MOPAR!!!DSC00560.JPG

tomb

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 bighorn-cherry red
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Nice ones Texram & Tomb!!

...That Deep Ruby Red Pearl metallic and the chrome handles on the 10-12 models really set it off. I like the Ruby MUCH better than the newer delmonico personally. Tex, if I had run onto that one with 14000 mi instead of my crew I would have bought it. MUCH better lookin Quad than the newer ones IMO
I agree ,the 4th gen quads look sportier than the new ones. Crews are fine

tomb

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 bighorn-cherry red
Engine
5.7 HEMI
The interior on the new ones are incredible -but I expect you have to step-up to a top trim!

oldguy2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I like it. Someone was very creative.

TomB 1269

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
...or a minivan.

(What? I drove one for years. I ain't so over-proud that I won't 'fess up to having driven a mommy missile as my daily... damned things held an amazing amount of stuff once you took the seats out, and the payload wasn't half bad either.)
I 2nd that......When the kids were young it was the best vehicle I owned. As a matter of fact I do not understand why anyone with kids between 7 and 14 would have anything but a mini van as the egress is so much better from the 3rd row then any SUV I've see or driven. In addition the 3rd row of a minim van allows for an adult to ride in it (try that in most SUVs except maybe the excursion or suburban). In addition our 2006 ford Freestar with the 4.2L had enough off the line and low end torque to beat a V6 mustang light to light, as well as turn the tires off the front end. Even at 130k when I got rid of it it could still spin the frontend on drive pavement.

Now that kids are out of the house for the most part we have a Gen 4 Rav for the wife and I have the 1500 Classic Quad. As for cabs, I am on the other side of the fence then most I guess as I see a regular cab as a pure work truck only and not really functional for a "home owner" or someone that does not use it as a business / work truck. The lack of space in the cab minimizes secure storage, provides not place to put groceries when making a quick stop, as you have to put everything in the bed. I personally I think there is really only a need for the quad and the crew in the 1500 as it does not have the weight or ability to be used in heavy duty commercial use, i.e. parking lot plowing, skid steer hauling, landscaping, etc. and is the reason you find regular cabs in the 2500 and up.

Do not get me wrong, a small landscaper can get along fine with one, but if your towing a 20ft enclosed with 3 or 4 commercial mowers, gas, tools etc. you are pushing the limit of the 1500, plus you most likely need a bigger cab to haul your crew with you.....

TomB 1269

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There's always compromises. We use ours to commute back and
forth as we're snowbirds so a crew wasa better for us vs having
to stuff things in the bed, and as you know when on the road whatever you're looking for will be no where NEAR the tail

The Crew with a 6'4" bed would serve all purposes but that damn thing is LONGGGG...I would cuss it before praising it before it was over.

The Quad would also be a good choice but only if you HAD to have that 6'4" bed. I used to like the look of them but the more I looked that little bitty door with the handle just didn't look right (to me). And they're cramped vs the crew

Then there's resale and/or trade value down the road.
By FAR the most popular setup is the Crew Cab 5'7" bed with a 4X4
THAT'S the truck most everyone WANTS so worth more on trade
(Just MO on this)

Finally ended up with this 2011 Big Horn Crew 4X4
Done in Deep Ruby Red Pearl Metallic
Believe it or not it has 14,200 actual miles!
Orig tires still like new
Truck has been garaged since day one, and looks new in out and under
I can live with the 545RE 5 spd trans to get one like this
Has the hard Ram tonneau as well as the nice wheel to wheel side steps...exactly the truck
I was hoping forView attachment 184026

View attachment 184027
Unbelievable
If you are snowbirds and you take it home in the spring, please look at replacing those tires. 8,9,10 year old rubber may look good but it has degraded due to age (whether or not the truck has been garaged inside or outside. I hate to see a nice truck wrecked and a couple in the golden years stranded and stressed due to tire failure......Even if you do not take it home in the spring you still want to replace those tires.