Help Support Ram Forum by donating:

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Clattering Truck Thread

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty' started by MADDOG, Apr 18, 2015.

1. MADDOG

MADDOG Snazzy Jeeper Administrator Supporting Member Military

Ram Year:
    2021 Jeep JL Willys Edition
    Engine:
    Turbo, Baby!
    I purchased my 2014 Ram 2500 CC with the 6.4L HEMI on 3/28/15.

Within a week of purchase I noticed that there was a lot of valvetrain clattering going on at cold start up and while it quiets down, it does not totally go away, even when warmed up. I've owned two other HEMI powered vehicles, a 2007 MegaCab with the 5.7L and my 2006 300SRT8 with the 6.1L so I'm familiar with "HEMI tick".

The sound the 6.4L was putting out was much more than "HEMI tick". In fact, the first time it really got loud I looked back to make sure there were no 5.9L 24V Cummins badges on the truck! :roflsquared:

So on 4/16/15 I dropped it off with the dealer, advised the service writer that there was a problem and that they should listen to it under cold start conditions. They called me back last night to advise they will need to keep the truck "for a few days" to tear down the engine. Oh joy...:yucky:

More later...

2. SouthTexan

SouthTexan Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    408 CTD
    Is there anyway you can post a video of the noise so some can get a better sense on what it is just in case someone else may come across the same noise? I know some 5.7L and 6.1L Hemi's had a lifter issue and there for a while some recent 5.7L Hemi's had timing chain issues. Good luck and I hope they find and repair what ever it is.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2015
  3. MADDOG

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Turbo, Baby!
    I have no video of the noise.

Basically it sounds like a huge group of small metal hammers drumming on the head.

They called me back this AM (yup, my dealer service department is open on Saturday) and told me that they went out and cold started two other 6.4L equipped trucks and neither of those made that sort of noise.

I'm guessin' there is a lifter problem...unless they forgot to check the oil prior to putting it on the lot. :D

4. 0212353

0212353 Vendor Preferred Vendor

Ram Year:
    2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
    Engine:
    2x 5.7L & 6.2L
  5. MADDOG

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Turbo, Baby!
    Yup.... :(

6. KarL45

KarL45 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2018 Ram Express quad cab 4x4
    Engine:
    5.7 MDS
    Thoughts

Well, after having your Ram for less than a month and now needing major engine work, might, if something you wish you had purchased different (diff gears, trim pkg, etc. ) might be the time to ask to be set up in another Ram that has something different. Just a thought. Might be a little hard for them to refuse a reasonable request.

7. MADDOG

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Turbo, Baby!
    There is absolutely nothing I'd rather have than the one I purchased. It meets my needs, it has the equipment package I wanted and it was the best of 5 trucks I personally looked over and test drove.

8. MADDOG

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Turbo, Baby!
    This is what greeted me when I stepped into the dealer's service bay this afternoon:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I talked with the tech, the service writer and the service manager during my visit.

The dealer had received a TSB from CJDR corporate over the weekend that describes the symptoms I was experiencing. The tech is following the instructions of the TSB and has partially disassembled the top end and pulled the pan to inspect the lower end.

The service writer advised that he can get me a loaner tomorrow if I want one.

The service manager said he'd provide me a copy of the TSB when I picked up the loaner. He also advised that if the inspection finds the condition described in the TSB, a new engine will be installed.

I'm anxious to read that TSB and will share it with you as soon as I get it.

Burla likes this.
  9. mtofell

mtofell Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 6.4
    Wow.... that's crazy. Yeah, that's quite a little TSB. I can just see it:

Problem: Engine Tick
    Cause: Defective Engine
    Solution: Replace Engine

For your sake this sucks... for everyone's sake I hope it's not a widespread thing that causes owners a bunch of headaches and gives the blue oval worship group some material.

At least it seems like there should be a quick resolution. Sounds like you have a pretty good attitude about it and are getting taken care of.

10. cc rider

cc rider Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    6.4 Hemi
    Maybe I should get the cummins instead :)

w6pea and Matt Jobe like this.