The day I’ve always dreaded

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Moparornocar0346

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 liter
Well guys it finally happened to me. The always so great fun cracked head. Damn what a day sucks but I knew it was gonna happen one day or another. Been looking online for some heads and they r very pricey. Just don’t have that type of money right now to spend. Anyone else used the reman heads. I know there stock and all but still they r cheaper than eq or Hughes specially with my empty pocket. I ended up buy a set for little over 462 and some change. I may have made a bad mover but it’s better than lose of power and smoking. It’s was actually cracked in three places

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joe w.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2l
Damn that sucks man. I don't know anyone that has used them. I hope they work out for you

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is it just one head for $462, hope it's been rebuild if not have a valve job done on it, is the other head ok, if so call it good.

OP
OP
Moparornocar0346

Moparornocar0346

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 liter
Is it just one head for $462, hope it's been rebuild if not have a valve job done on it, is the other head ok, if so call it good.

No that’s 462, 231 a piece. I went ahead and bought both bc I didn’t want to put one on and then the other one go to ya know

Reactions: Mop

CVX20

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How much anti-freeze went through it before you quit driving it?Usually what happens in these cases is the bottom goes out of it in a fairly short time.Anti-freeze in the oil will kill crank and cam brgs fast.Probably not what you wanted to hear but true none the less.

OP
OP
Moparornocar0346

Moparornocar0346

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 liter
How much anti-freeze went through it before you quit driving it?Usually what happens in these cases is the bottom goes out of it in a fairly short time.Anti-freeze in the oil will kill crank and cam brgs fast.Probably not what you wanted to hear but true none the less.

Yea it was runined. I bought another block some kin folk so im putting another bottom end in it as well

OP
OP
Moparornocar0346

Moparornocar0346

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 liter
One quick question guys. The heat shields for the spark plugs. Does anyone run with out them

OP
OP
Moparornocar0346

Moparornocar0346

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 liter
One more question, can I reuse my intake bolts those old bolts haven’t been in that old motor very long at all. And I got them from Hughes

Joe w.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2l
Don't see why not being that there not that old. I heard that on these motors its better to get news one but I would reuse them.

OP
OP
Moparornocar0346

Moparornocar0346

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 liter
Don't see why not being that there not that old. I heard that on these motors its better to get news one but I would reuse them.

Yea I always heard that to bc they r tty bolts but I got those when I done my Hughes plenum plate

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
They're not tty they're just ******. Just replace em, you'll be happy you did later.

The heat shields can go and in fact it's better that way. They're extremely unnecessary serving no real function and just collect dirt and moisture too rust out your plugs

Last edited:

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I had my heads replaced a few years ago (yeah, both were plenty cracked). I purchased new ones, complete, for something like $600 from L&C Enterprises on eBay. What I liked about them was they had additional material cast between the valve seats (which is where Magnum heads like to crack), so they shouldn't suffer from cracking any time soon (unless they decide to crack somewhere else).

Also, I hate spark plug heat shields. Water and dirt traps, and they can create access problems. In my case, cylinder 3's spark plug, courtesy of the shield and the route of it's header tube, is almost impossible to get at. At some point this year, that shield's gonna get well-acquainted with a hammer and pliers...

Reactions: Mop

justtruckn

Reaction score
Ram Year
87 96 01
Engine
318 360 345
i have had a lot of mag mills .. and have never cracked a head .... guess in lucky from the sounds of it

justtruckn

Reaction score
Ram Year
87 96 01
Engine
318 360 345
That you know of. Sad truth is they all do it and the odds of finding a used head without a crack is about 1 in 50.
i did have one that used water ... turned out to be the damn intake bolts had rotted (97 with over 300k on the clock) .. guess im lucky. i am kinda hard on my trucks but work is what thay are for ..... lol ... i got 3 worn out mags up here .. maby il pull the heads and see ....