The dreaded rear area water leak! 2019 bighorn.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fnjoey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
So I searched through the threads but didn't really find what I was looking for.. I was washing my truck today (pre owned 2019 bighorn 30k on the clock) I noticed after I bought the truck the headliner above rear pass seat was stained... so I jumped on here and saw there was a 3rd brake light issue, and a sliding rear window.. then it rained and I saw nothing.. everything was dry.. so I figured it was a previous issue and was fixed, until today when I washed my truck, saw a little bit of water running down the Inside of the window coming from the upper corner area... I figure Monday (busy weekend) I'll pop out the light and put some silicone on it and see if that fixes it, but I know my luck and it's likely going to be something else, I see people talking about a cracked window frame, but I'm stupid and my rear window is frameless??? Is there any pictures of said cracked area? Do i have to pull the rear seat out? What's the deal? Want to get it fixed while it still under warranty or use my extended if ram won't cover it.. also, it seems to be a huge issue from what I'm seeing is there any class action stuff going on?

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
It’s more than likely the brake light. I haven’t heard of a lawsuit for this, but it is a common issue across all brands.

OP
OP
Fnjoey

Fnjoey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
do you have a sliding rear window ?
they are the ones with the cracked frames, i think
Yeah, I did a little more googling last night and saw wherr the cracks are, seems like the window may have been replaced already, it has the frame with the ledge? On it. One video I watched the guy had a new window installed and it had that part. So I'll be pulling the brake light and putting some silly cone on it. Hope that works.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Assuming you don't have a sunroof or any aftermarket holes in the roof, if the water is coming in from up high, the most common and likely cause is the high mounted 3rd brake light. I would not recommend trying to seal it any type of calk/silicone. You need to replace the stick on weatherstripping around the fixture. Lots of threads on it here. I had to do this on my 2017 Ram 1500 and my 2019 classic.

OP
OP
Fnjoey

Fnjoey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Assuming you don't have a sunroof or any aftermarket holes in the roof, if the water is coming in from up high, the most common and likely cause is the high mounted 3rd brake light. I would not recommend trying to seal it any type of calk/silicone. You need to replace the stick on weatherstripping around the fixture. Lots of threads on it here. I had to do this on my 2017 Ram 1500 and my 2019 classic.
Just any old stick on striping?

BlackSheepRebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When I researched this awhile back I thought this guy’s approach was pretty thorough:

Lot of folks replace or reinforce the weatherstripping:

Good luck!

randyr6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins
Looks like in the video that he just made a "basket" that holds water. Looks like the water would still drip in behind the gasket and just fill the tape area up with water. It may not drip inside anymore but it would end up filling up the light itself with water. Not so sure about that hack. The second video looks like a much better solution, or it seems like a thin but thicker RUBBER weather stripping would work better. I'm guessing the hole area is not flat hence the factory had to use a thick molding to try and get a seal and that's not even enough. Plastic can be molded completely flat so I wouldn't think the light is the issue of no seal, has to be the steel framed area not being flat.

OP
OP
Fnjoey

Fnjoey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
When I researched this awhile back I thought this guy’s approach was pretty thorough:

Lot of folks replace or reinforce the weatherstripping:

Good luck!
Thanks for the links.

Musky Mike

Reaction score
Ram Year
FYI, my rear window frame was leaking and there was no crack. If the window/frame has been replaced, it comes with it's own warranty. So if you are out side of the 3yr/36K, it should still be covered.

OP
OP
Fnjoey

Fnjoey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
FYI, my rear window frame was leaking and there was no crack. If the window/frame has been replaced, it comes with it's own warranty. So if you are out side of the 3yr/36K, it should still be covered.
I'm rhe second owner. It was a lease. Nothing on the carfax about a window, so I don't know if it was actually replaced.. im still with in the 3/36 plus I have an extended also. One way or the other I should be covered..

OP
OP
Fnjoey

Fnjoey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
So I went to the depot, and picked this up, it's a foam rubber vs just foam.. it splits down the middle.

Attachments

• 20220618_112401.jpg
    20220618_112401.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 11
  • 20220618_112355.jpg
    20220618_112355.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 11

rws1944

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For what it's worth, I have read more that a few posts that folks are replacing their leaking OEM third brake light with a new light from mopar which has a much better seal. My light doesn't leak yet but I have replaced a leaking cracked window frame. No idea what the new and improved light costs but it sounds like an easy fix.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I'm rhe second owner. It was a lease. Nothing on the carfax about a window, so I don't know if it was actually replaced.. im still with in the 3/36 plus I have an extended also. One way or the other I should be covered..

Sorry if it's been mentioned, but search for on this site and do the rear seat mod so you can flop the back of the rear seat down any time you want. This greatly aids in the troubleshooting of what is leaking as well. Like said, if you have headliner staining, your leak is not coming from the rear window. It's coming from the 3rd BL.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
For what it's worth, I have read more that a few posts that folks are replacing their leaking OEM third brake light with a new light from mopar which has a much better seal. My light doesn't leak yet but I have replaced a leaking cracked window frame. No idea what the new and improved light costs but it sounds like an easy fix.
I know for me back in 2018-2019, the Ram dealer told me they installed a light with a "new/improved" gasket and it was the same old sponge/foam gasket. Just new.

OP
OP
Fnjoey

Fnjoey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Sorry if it's been mentioned, but search for on this site and do the rear seat mod so you can flop the back of the rear seat down any time you want. This greatly aids in the troubleshooting of what is leaking as well. Like said, if you have headliner staining, your leak is not coming from the rear window. It's coming from the 3rd BL.
I have my daughter's car seat in there, no flipping for ease. Lol but it's all good. The headliner does have some staining so I go with the brake light and see where that takes me.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I have my daughter's car seat in there, no flipping for ease. Lol but it's all good. The headliner does have some staining so I go with the brake light and see where that takes me.

LOL! I think I catch your drift.. Been there with multiple car seats over the years.

It doesn't just flip like a loose noodle after the mod, you have to lift the seat bottom to pivot the seatback forward.

Gives you lots more storage options, versatility and of course, the ability to troubleshoot leaks.

OP
OP
Fnjoey

Fnjoey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
LOL! I think I catch your drift.. Been there with multiple car seats over the years.

It doesn't just flip like a loose noodle after the mod, you have to lift the seat bottom to pivot the seatback forward.

Gives you lots more storage options, versatility and of course, the ability to troubleshoot leaks.
I will look into it.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
The 2019 Rear window frames were prone to cracking,
2020 window frame seem to be OK

If the roof liner is stained above the window, the 3rd brake light seal is likely the cause
but,
there is a slight chance, that the roof line rubber seals could contribute

If the water stain is along the bottom of the Sliding window, the window Track can get filled with natures trash.
Like pollen, pieces of leaves, dust, a touch of sand, etc.
There are 1 or 2 holes in the window track.
The drain exit holes are built into the window seal rubber.
If you use a plastic scraper, and run it along the bottom of the rubber seal outside, you may open up the holes exit.
In one video a guy was using something to squirt water into the window track, it was not enough to overflow the track.
Then outside he used a scraper to separate the rubber from the paint.
That allowed the water to drain & run down the exterior of the cab

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye