The First Oil Change -New Owner Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The Unabomber

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 R/T
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This doesn't sound like a recommendation to me; "and meet the requirements of Chrysler Material Standard MS-6395". I guess it could be argued in court but I doubt you could win it. Until Mobile 1 can publish it meets Chrysler's MS-6395, it doesn't exceed Chrysler's requirements, at least by labeling. There are other synthetics on the market that meet their requirement. I have a life-time warranty and I'm not taking any chances, I let the dealer do all maintenance.

Keep in mind, the context of this thread was about self maintenance and Chrysler warranty. Using a non-approved engine oil opens the door to an engine warranty denial.

Maybe I'm missing something here. :think: Have a gander and let me know. This is straight out of my 2014 owners manual.

Unless it says required or must use which it doesn't you'll be ok.

I've got Chrysler Service Contracts on all of my vehicles. ( Lifetime Max Cares ). Never had an issue.

1zpqrkn.jpg

arod412

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
More questions about oil. Now I know what my next oil change will be (redline) but that's not the debate.

My question is what is MS-6395 motor oil. When I got my first oil change at the dealer, they used half synthetic, and half conventional oil. Isn't that a violation? I don't remember exactly what oil they used but it was a blend of the two. That happened a hear ago. That's why I'm going with full synthetic redline this time because I don't drive far and I make lots of stop and go trips. I had my truck for almost 2 years and I'm about to crack 16k miles.

Angel

"worrying about MPG in a truck is like looking at a Prius tow rating"

The Unabomber

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 R/T
Engine
5.7 Hemi
More questions about oil. Now I know what my next oil change will be (redline) but that's not the debate.

My question is what is MS-6395 motor oil. When I got my first oil change at the dealer, they used half synthetic, and half conventional oil. Isn't that a violation? I don't remember exactly what oil they used but it was a blend of the two. That happened a hear ago. That's why I'm going with full synthetic redline this time because I don't drive far and I make lots of stop and go trips. I had my truck for almost 2 years and I'm about to crack 16k miles.

Angel

You are making this overly complicated. Put in whatever you are comfortable with.

It doesn't matter that it was a blend or for that matter brand etc. There will not be any warranty issue that will present itself because of it.

If you really want the low down go to Google and look up bob is the oil guy and check out the forums there. Go a step further and do some oil analysis via blackstone labs.

For the money and performance it's really hard to beat Mobil 1 Extended Performance. Especially when it's on sale. Redline and your Royal Purples are good also. They are just more of a "specialty" oil to pay a premium for. Also not as readily available as your Mobil 1 or Penzoils etc.

Just run a good quality oil and filter and enjoy the vehicle. Also try to avoid running cheap gas in your vehicle. There is a reason Shell, Chevron, etc cost more.

arod412

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Take it easy there Unabomber...I'm not making things complicated at all. As I stated ( please re-read my prior statements if you are confused) I will put what I want. I've done my homework on what types of oils are good for the truck ( its in my prior post). I've talked to burla who knows more about oil than most people here.

All I want to know what is Chrysler ms-6395 oil because like previous post has said that mobile 1 5w20 is not spec approved so that leads my question of what is ms-6395 approved oil? Not a big deal for me, just curious. There isn't any complication about being curious.

Angel

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The rating just means that the oil has submitted to and passed certain tests to earn the ms-6395 rating. That doesn't mean that an oil without the rating couldn't pass the testing, just that it didn't spend the money on the testing. Without the rating, you just don't know.

This is Mobil 1's take on it:
Mobil 1 | Chrysler MS-6395 Specification

Here is a specialty oil guide that may help you find an oil you like with the recommended spec:

http://www.noln.net/sites/default/files/images/downloads/specialty motor oil guide.pdf

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Do what the book says until and "IF" that Hemi starts sounding like a meat grinder, then stick some group 5 high moly in there. Read the synthetic thread, there are one or two good points about oil in there. Just as important as your oil choice is your filter choice. If you go over 3 months on an oil change you need something other then paper, or the filter simply doesn't filter the oil anymore. I prefer 100% synthetic fiber like Royal Purple filters but even a mix like Mobil 1 filters are much better then paper. I am currently testing the RP filter so I don't have hands on results yet, but I do have hands on results on a paper filter and the performance was horrible when I cut it open with 5k miles on it. There was zero filtering going on as it was very stiff.

The Unabomber

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 R/T
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Take it easy there Unabomber...I'm not making things complicated at all. As I stated ( please re-read my prior statements if you are confused) I will put what I want. I've done my homework on what types of oils are good for the truck ( its in my prior post). I've talked to burla who knows more about oil than most people here.

All I want to know what is Chrysler ms-6395 oil because like previous post has said that mobile 1 5w20 is not spec approved so that leads my question of what is ms-6395 approved oil? Not a big deal for me, just curious. There isn't any complication about being curious.

Angel

33y5eth.jpg

2wemc06.jpg

29clvkw.jpg

154cd8o.jpg

w7zma0.jpg

53qveo.jpg

arod412

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for that list nycruiser. It all comes down to money...lol.

Burla, if that engine starts sounding like a meat grinder, its kinda already too late..lol.

Angel

rowdyram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
As stated before you will get multiple answers on oil types and grades. As for synthetic... it has gained a stigma of being great oil and true synthetic is but as of now there are no true requirments to be synthetic in US or canada. i can sell you chew spit in a bottle as synthetic and be legal. the ones who dictate ol certs...API or american petroleum inst. is just that an institute owned, regulated and rated by the same companies selling it. All that said, i recommend you choose an oil you like that meets your req. specifically your MS number *** it for your desired intervals and send it to blackstone for an analysis. That is the one true way to know what oil and interval is best.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
There are limited requirements true, but if it says synthetic is has to at least be group 3, which is really good stuff in my opinion when compared to conventional. However, don't bother with blends, there is no regulation there.

arod412

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What makes it tougher is that with the newer trucks 13-15, the oil life indicator actually tell you the life of the oil. The older trucks (my baby is a 2012), the computer automatically trips off at 3500 miles to change the oil. Does that happen to any body else with a truck older than 2012 bit a 4th gen? so that's one of the reasons why I'm asking questions about the oils and specs. Its clear to stay on the higher end group 4-5 oil but when you are at the dealer, and they throw in a mix blend then say come back at 3000 miles, my ass is asking questions especially when the manual shows oil change at every 8k miles. I'm no cash cow..I do my homework then I'm doing it myself.

Angel

rowdyram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
this is purley my opinion on the oil life. but i think 3k is a good guideline. the reason your manual says 8k is the same for everything else in factory maint. most fluid exchanges and major maint. there are 2 reasons 1. ratings and reviews on the vehicle. overall maint. costs get factored in for motortrend, C&D edmonds etc. they dont care if your engine explodes at 130k. that brings me to 2. major repairs after warranty period. doing 8k oil changes or 150k trans services no diff. services like some manufactures state will be ok to get you out of warranty then its your dime.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I would say 5000 is a good rule with today's conventional oil. 3000 is what jiffy lube wants you to do and why that number is so popular. If you are using synthetic even the cheapest ones (group 3) you can easily do 7000. Filter and oil matter though don't buy a regular Fram and expect good things doing 10k oil changes. You have to plan if you want to push oil to edge of usable life. Those oil life monitors are awesome and won't steer you wrong most times (ask GM) they had to change theirs as they were hurting them with failures on certain engines. Like anything you have to buy what you believe is good for your vehicle and live with results if you end up being wrong. I personally have never had an engine fail while I owned it but can't speak for the vehicles I have sold and are out living a life with someone else either.

$miley

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Maybe I'm missing something here. :think: Have a gander and let me know. This is straight out of my 2014 owners manual.

Unless it says required or must use which it doesn't you'll be ok.

I've got Chrysler Service Contracts on all of my vehicles. ( Lifetime Max Cares ). Never had an issue.

1zpqrkn.jpg

I'm not the judge or jury (I have severed as a voluntary arbitrator in customer automotive issues) or the person that wrote the requirement. I do not wish to debate the ambiguity of the wording either.

All I am saying, and in the context of the OP, if you end up with an engine warranty claim and you have not used an oil approved by Chrysler, you open the door for a warranty denial with respect to the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

I choose not to take that chance but I also realize I likely will not have an engine issue based on the history of the Hemi.

I am curious, how many engine warranty claims have you had where your selection of a non-approve oil came to light?

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Also try to avoid running cheap gas in your vehicle. There is a reason Shell, Chevron, etc cost more.

You do realize that there are only a handful of refineries throughout the states and they sell their refined products to distribution terminals where brand specific additives are added (except Costco, they add their additive blend at the pump) and then delivered to retail.

Best to buy gas from high volume stations like those near freeways, truck stops, Sam's Club, and Costco, to name a few.

arod412

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I hear ya bosshogg and Unabomber. Gas is the next thing to pick on because I understand the whole "ok" and " recommended" gasses. I get my gas from wawa but I do like heading to samsclub and getting that gas. Depending on the week, it varies when I get 87 or 89. Sam's club only has regular and premium.

Angel

The Unabomber

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 R/T
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You do realize that there are only a handful of refineries throughout the states and they sell their refined products to distribution terminals where brand specific additives are added (except Costco, they add their additive blend at the pump) and then delivered to retail.

Best to buy gas from high volume stations like those near freeways, truck stops, Sam's Club, and Costco, to name a few.

You are correct. The additive package added to the fuel makes all the difference in the world. Just like oil.

Most of the cheap gas stations do minimal maintenance to their pumps, filters, etc.

I've also never seen such clean top ends with their fuel. Not sure what volume of detergent additive they have but they are damn near spotless.

The Unabomber

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 R/T
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm not the judge or jury (I have severed as a voluntary arbitrator in customer automotive issues) or the person that wrote the requirement. I do not wish to debate the ambiguity of the wording either.

All I am saying, and in the context of the OP, if you end up with an engine warranty claim and you have not used an oil approved by Chrysler, you open the door for a warranty denial with respect to the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

I choose not to take that chance but I also realize I likely will not have an engine issue based on the history of the Hemi.

I am curious, how many engine warranty claims have you had where your selection of a non-approve oil came to light?

Well first of all Chrysler needs to prove you didn't use an approved oil. Next they need to prove that's what caused the failure. Then they have to find a way to not hang themselves with the wording in their owners manual. It does not state you have to use an approved oil.

If they want to waste more time and money in court costs vs just replacing a motor they aren't making sound business choices. It costs them far more to go to litigation than to just cover something under warranty.

Most claims that go to litigation are the morons with Cummins and tuners. They grenade their motors and leave the tuners in their truck and expect warranty coverage.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Well first of all Chrysler needs to prove you didn't use an approved oil. Next they need to prove that's what caused the failure.

Speaking as an experienced arbitrator, a manufacture does not have to prove you used a non-approved oil, you have to to prove you did not hence the logs and receipts that should be kept. You as the customer are the plaintiff and have the burden of proof. Read the finer print in your powertrain warranty.

The manufacture does have the burden to prove that a non-approved oil caused the initial failure inline with the Magunson-Moss Warranty Act.