Help Support Ram Forum by donating:

The new 2020 EcoDiesel

Discussion in 'Dodge Ram Eco Diesels' started by cop4hire, Sep 9, 2019.

1. cop4hire

cop4hire Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    EcoDiesel
    I was just wondering how many EcoDiesel owners are considering trading in for the new updated 2020 EcoDiesel? Supposedly has close to the same towing numbers the V8 now has and better MPG. Should we let the first year go and wait for the second year model and avoid the initial output mistakes? I'm thinking the first year rule is out the window since the EcoDiesel is not a completely new first year model.

2. Kapt

Kapt Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    3L
    I'm not considering it at all. I have my truck set up the way I want it to be. I don't want to extend my payments and start over. Besides, I love my truck

duunoit, tidefan1967 and cop4hire like this.
  3. cop4hire

cop4hire Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    EcoDiesel
    Don't get me wrong. I love my truck too. I am just concerned about the towing capacity. I have a travel trailer that is right at the limit of the current trucks tow capacity.

4. JohnnyMac

JohnnyMac Hold my beer and watch this..... Military

Ram Year:
    2018 1500 Laramie
    Engine:
    3.0 EcoDiesel
    Maybe if I had a 15 that was giving me issues, but as it is, I have had zero problems with my 18 and I love it.

tidefan1967 and cop4hire like this.
  5. Tim Garceau

Tim Garceau Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2014 Sport Quad BSP
    Engine:
    3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
    This is an all new 3.0 strung out TD, unless one basically drops into your lap I'd let them try and work the bugs out before the half ton diesel craze dies.

JohnnyMac, tidefan1967 and cop4hire like this.
  6. woofie2

woofie2 Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    3.0 v6
    I have never been the first adopter, generally I wait a while just to make sure major bugs are vetted.
    Unlike other diesels modern ones have at least a good testing bed prior to release. As the VM Motori Ecodiesel has been through several generations, the chance of a major issue is small, but with the changes there might be a recall or two.

(the one time I was an early adopter I got burned, I preordered a 2011 VW Golf TDI, because of issues and offers from VW, got issue with driving 30 MPH and snowballed through a turbo and main computer replacement twice. I found the cylinder 3 hard line issue before it was a recall, it caused a misfire, then software update put computer in LIMP mode when it ran a regen)

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019 at 11:51 AM
    JohnnyMac and cop4hire like this.