The (not so) Ultimate Guide to Brake Fluids

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Brake Fluid.

Okay, so I've spent the last couple hours [drinking beer and] researching the different types of brake fluids and what aspects are important to look at. I'm just going to use a mixed bullet format because... well... I'm lazy. This is by no means an exhaustive research project and I'm no expert, so this is just google-ish accurate info. Take it with a grain of salt and do your own research before straying from factory recommendations. Here we go.

- DOT numbers coincide with boiling points. The higher the number, the higher the boiling point.

- DOT 3, 4, & 5.1 are poly-glycol based and are compatible with one another, for the most part. We'll get back to that one in a minute.

- DOT 5 is silicone based and usually only used in specialized applications, like show cars. In case of a leak, it will not hurt paint.

- DO NOT ever mix DOT 5 with ANY other brake fluid. Period. Dot. No pun intended.

- Two different boiling points
- Dry equilibrium reflux boiling point (ERBP) – the boiling point of new, freshly opened brake fluid.
- Wet ERBP – the boiling point of brake fluid having absorbed 3.7 percent water.

For everyone other than racers who bleed/change their brake fluids after every race, the Wet boiling point is what is important. For those of us that do not change our fluid completely and often, it's always going to have some moisture in it.

From what I can tell, gen 4 Rams call for DOT 3. They say most DOT 4 fluids are compatible, but some have funky chemistry in them that make them incompatible. If it does not say expressly that it is compatible with DOT 3, do not use it. Same goes for DOT 5.1.

Viscosity also plays a part in this. Those who live north of the Mason Dixon may want to consider a lower viscosity fluid for obvious reasons.

- Specs for the two common beloved brands around here:

-- Red Line RL-600
--- Dry boiling point- 604F
--- Wet boiling point- 400F
--- Visc @ -40C- 1657 cSt
--- Visc @ 100C- 2.7 cSt

-- Amsoil DOT 3 & 4
--- Dry boiling point- 520F
--- Wet boiling point- 368F
--- Visc @ -40C- 817 cSt
--- Visc @ 100C- 2.0 cSt

-- Amsoil Dominator DOT 4 Racing
--- Dry boiling point- 580F
--- Wet boiling point- 410F
--- Visc @ -40C- 1550 cSt
--- Visc @ 100C- 2.0 cSt

Here is a comparison of 58 different brake fluids.

Bottom line: Pay attention to "WET Boiling Points". DO NOT ever use DOT 5. Consider a less viscous fluid if you live in a colder climate.

Get those turkey basters ready boys!

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Brake Fluid.

Okay, so I've spent the last couple hours [drinking beer and] researching the different types of brake fluids and what aspects are important to look at. I'm just going to use a mixed bullet format because... well... I'm lazy. This is by no means an exhaustive research project and I'm no expert, so this is just google-ish accurate info. Take it with a grain of salt and do your own research before straying from factory recommendations. Here we go.

- DOT numbers coincide with boiling points. The higher the number, the higher the boiling point.

- DOT 3, 4, & 5.1 are poly-glycol based and are compatible with one another, for the most part. We'll get back to that one in a minute.

- DOT 5 is silicone based and usually only used in specialized applications, like show cars. In case of a leak, it will not hurt paint.

- DO NOT ever mix DOT 5 with ANY other brake fluid. Period. Dot. No pun intended.

- Two different boiling points
- Dry equilibrium reflux boiling point (ERBP) – the boiling point of new, freshly opened brake fluid.
- Wet ERBP – the boiling point of brake fluid having absorbed 3.7 percent water.

For everyone other than racers who bleed/change their brake fluids after every race, the Wet boiling point is what is important. For those of us that do not change our fluid completely and often, it's always going to have some moisture in it.

From what I can tell, gen 4 Rams call for DOT 3. They say most DOT 4 fluids are compatible, but some have funky chemistry in them that make them incompatible. If it does not say expressly that it is compatible with DOT 3, do not use it. Same goes for DOT 5.1.

Viscosity also plays a part in this. Those who live north of the Mason Dixon may want to consider a lower viscosity fluid for obvious reasons.

- Specs for the two common beloved brands around here:

-- Red Line RL-600
--- Dry boiling point- 604F
--- Wet boiling point- 400F
--- Visc @ -40C- 1657 cSt
--- Visc @ 100C- 2.7 cSt

-- Amsoil DOT 3 & 4
--- Dry boiling point- 520F
--- Wet boiling point- 368F
--- Visc @ -40C- 817 cSt
--- Visc @ 100C- 2.0 cSt

-- Amsoil Dominator DOT 4 Racing
--- Dry boiling point- 580F
--- Wet boiling point- 410F
--- Visc @ -40C- 1550 cSt
--- Visc @ 100C- 2.0 cSt

Here is a comparison of 58 different brake fluids.

Bottom line: Pay attention to "WET Boiling Points". DO NOT ever use DOT 5. Consider a less viscous fluid if you live in a colder climate.

Get those turkey basters ready boys!
Excellent refresher. Learned a fair number of yrs ago not to mix DOT 5 with any other fluid. Thought I was safe because I drained the entire system front & back. (This was on a Honda Magna Street bike) It came with DOT5 stock. I filled it with DOT4. NOPE! Weird chemical reaction caused small beads or crumbly stuff to form. Had to chuck both brake lines and rebuild both master cyls and calipers. There's always more to learn.

OP
OP
Rampant

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Thanks. Like I said, I am no expert in brake fluid by any stretch of the imagination. Its unfortunate you had to learn about the incompatibility of brake fluids the hard way. But hey, I'm glad you could share some actual experience to with thread and hopefully allow another member to learn from your mistake vs falling on their own sword. The google was right! haha Thanks again!

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Thanks. Like I said, I am no expert in brake fluid by any stretch of the imagination. Its unfortunate you had to learn about the incompatibility of brake fluids the hard way. But hey, I'm glad you could share some actual experience to with thread and hopefully allow another member to learn from your mistake vs falling on their own sword. The google was right! haha Thanks again!
It was 25 yrs ago and I remember that white crumbly **** like it was yesterday brother! Thanks for the refresher (for me) but I bet a bunch of these young guys learned something. If not, they'll make crumbly stuff and curse a lot! :)