The real consequence of driving without insurance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Eric Troup

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Here is dashcam of hit and run on I75 Southbound 20 miles north of Pasco County. Driver was apprehended 20 miles south. No License, No insurance, No registration. Denied hitting me and would have gotten away with it if not for the very clear dashcam video.

Cost me $1,000 deductible. Prosecutor not interested in talking to me.

HDGoose

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
L6 Diesel HO
I still don’t understand why insurance gets weird in parking lots. Just cuz it’s private property? Best money I’ve spent on my truck is my dash cam. It has motion detection and a shock sensor for bumps etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Because traffic laws do not apply on private property. If you have private property, you can many thing that would be illegal on public places.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
A lot of times it’s because there’s no police report. And you end up with both parties pointing the finger at each other. Who has the right of way is questionable in parking lots sometimes too. The dash cam should help unless it happens while backing up.

That's largely because:

Because traffic laws do not apply on private property. If you have private property, you can many thing that would be illegal on public places.

With few exceptions. In my state, if the owner wants traffic laws to apply and be enforceable by police, there must be signage to that affect at every entrance/exit and all signage/lane markings on the property must comply with state law. I know of exactly zero properties that do so.

As far as dashcam, I have a forward and rear facing in my truck. My wife's car just has a forward facing.

HDGoose

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
L6 Diesel HO
That's largely because:

With few exceptions. In my state, if the owner wants traffic laws to apply and be enforceable by police, there must be signage to that affect at every entrance/exit and all signage/lane markings on the property must comply with state law. I know of exactly zero properties that do so.

As far as dashcam, I have a forward and rear facing in my truck. My wife's car just has a forward facing.

Hell, governmental entities do not even follow their own laws.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Oh, you mean like a Deputy Sheriff running Lights to get across town to have Lunch with his wife.

That happened almost every day in one country town of Woodbury, Ct., that i lived near, i would be mowing fields with a tractor & he would go flying by around lunch time.
All the young drivers in that town hated him, i heard that someone tied a cable or a chain around his rear axle & a tree.
If that did happen, it must have been a sight.

Ramagain

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was rear ended in my hellcat by a guy on purpose a few years back. He was let go with a ticket and was laughing at me. I found out his address later and for 3 years I would Drive by his house on Sunday mornings every one of the Sundays accept a few and throw a fresh box of roofing nails in his driveway with the grey plastic caps so they stood up straight. I chose this route because you can’t beat anybody up anymore without making CNN.
I feel your pain buddy.
****, at 8 bucks a box for cap nails that's a helluva expensive grudge. Lol
Not that I blame ya!

wgreggking

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4x4 offroad
Engine
Here in Arizona, Sons Jeep rear ended. Driven by illegal alien, no English, non matching Baja Mexico drivers license and California plates, not registered to the driver. Officer writes a few tickets. Tells son don't even bother to show up to court, they don't show. Says all on your insurance. The other driver, was picked up by someone, and abandoned the vehicle, totaled. It was there for 4 days on the side of the road. Happens every day here.

OP
OP
EdGs

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
So, spoke to the Sergeant on duty, and he verified everything that the deputy did was correct for the situation.

With regard to the unknowingly driving suspended, that is the way its done for my situation. Even though the cop knows full well it was knowingly done.

Sucks, but glad I talked to someone else about it. So, small claims looks like the best way to go, even though I might not ever collect.

Still have to speak with my claims person, they might try to go after the vehicle owner, and might help me (which would be fine by me).

Going to drop the truck at the body shop in the next day or two. Sucks to be without for a week or two, but it is what it is.

Last edited:

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So, spoke to the Sergeant on duty, and he verified everything that the deputy did was correct for the situation.

With regard to the unknowingly driving suspended, that is the way its done for my situation. Even though the cop knows full well it was knowingly done.

Suck, but glad I talked to someone else about it. So, small claims looks like the best way to go, even though I might not ever collect.

Still have to speak with my claims person, they might try to go after the vehicle owner, and might help me (which would be fine by me).

Going to drop the truck at the body shop one in the next day or two. Sucks to be without for a week or two, but it is what it is.

Im sorry. I hope this all works out for you.

Kukailimoku

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
My nephew and his parents went through something similar last year.
Rules and laws are great. For people that actually follow them.

THIS.

This is why gun control laws won't work.
The same d-bags that don't get insurance are the same d-bags that'll keep their guns after all the honest people turn theirs in.
(although, even as a normally law-follower I might just hang on to mine in that case. Molon Labe)

RAM08110719

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 L V8 E85
As others have posted, probably not likely the other driver has any assets of value. People with assets have insurance to protect those assets. I like the post comparing uninsured motorists to the equivalent of homeless motorists. I suspect if you sue, you might as well add the lawyer fees to the amount you're loosing on this sh$tty situation.

I did add in the case I did this I WON. Wife got ER bills paid never went to her health insurance. Plus we got 3K for pain and suffering.

It was an uninsured motorist. He was drunk. Police report. 3 witness statements got given to my wife. Those 3 other people almost got run off the road. So they wanted to make sure the DUI driver paid. He did. Never forget that a lawyer can help. People on the road that are strangers. Sometimes become nice. Step forward and give statements to make a DUI driver pay the MAX. So if hit by someone without insurance. Always think law suit. You will win. That guy got taken away in cuffs. Had his car towed. So he had lots of Bill's to pay. His wages probably got garnished until it was paid off. The law protects you when you use it. Don't think you are out money if you get hit by an uninsured motorist. That is dead wrong. The parts on my wife's car were the updated trim level. So the bumper and tail lights looked better than before.

OP
OP
EdGs

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Progress, at last.... Shop has had the truck for about a week now, waiting on parts.

20210415_154616.jpg

20210416_133748.jpg

Was in the paint booth yesterday. It is hard being without her, and it seems like repairs are going in slow-motion, but I know it's normal.

Waiting on trims and replacement step bars, and of course all the finishing work.

Even harder when the body shop is right across the street from my work. I have to resist the urge to go in there every few hours....lol.

fulltimerart

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Florida is a mandatory insurance state (rediculus low amount tho). You need a binder to get your tags-----so the scumbags pay minimum down, get tags and don't bother with any more payments. State is notified insurance has lapsed but is too understaffed to follow thru. Of course this is only for the ones that want to try to look legal===the rest just use illegal paper tags or expired ones, they don't care. Yup, it is real scary out there. PS used to live in the Orlando area REAL scary there. Art

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
At least they are making process. Sorry about all of this. I know it was hard being with out mine for a week.

OP
OP
EdGs

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Tickets were no appearance required.

Scumbag has already paid tickets, too.

Guess I am the stupid one for following the law.

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Tickets were no appearance required.

Scumbag has already paid tickets, too.

Guess I am the stupid one for following the law.

Next time don't bother calling the cops...

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Florida is a mandatory insurance state (rediculus low amount tho). You need a binder to get your tags-----so the scumbags pay minimum down, get tags and don't bother with any more payments. State is notified insurance has lapsed but is too understaffed to follow thru. Of course this is only for the ones that want to try to look legal===the rest just use illegal paper tags or expired ones, they don't care. Yup, it is real scary out there. PS used to live in the Orlando area REAL scary there. Art

You realize licensing and insurance is nothing but a money racket, right? Licenses weren't required till the 1950's, and insurance after that.

If someone hits you take them to civil court. The state will put a judgment against them and garnish their wages and/or tax returns until it is paid.

Of course if they are an illegal with a stolen identity you may have to find another solution. Personally, I never leave the house unarmed.

Tray Burge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Dude pulls out of parking row onto access lane, runs right into the rear of cab drivers side of my quad cab.

View attachment 241416
View attachment 241417

Driving someone elses car.

Driving on a suspended license.

Cop says he didnt see him driving, so can't take him to jail. I said, "I saw him driving, can I make a citizens arrest?" Cop said, "No". D-bag gets ticket for driving w/o license.

Tag on car does not belong on that car.

Cop said they cannot even ticket for that because of a Supreme Court ruling.

No insurance on car.

Gets ticket for no insurance. Also gets to park car and is told to have it towed. NO IMPOUND.

So, my insurance collision deductible is $500, guess who pays that? Me. Plus, uninsured motorist only pays for injuries, not damages or losses.

So, It appears that my only recourse is small claims court and a judgement. More money, more lost time. But might do it for the pure joy. Maybe I can file a lien against him and owner of car.

How about that?
That sux, sorry to hear that!
Sounds like ****** insurance too, my Uninsured Motorist pays for damages too and doesn't rate me if I use it!
But then, I have the best insurance in the world USAA!

OP
OP
EdGs

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
In FL. UM only covers injuries, not my deductible.

So, still out $500.

I was supposed to be in good hands.