The stupid front driveshaft greasing....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ronald Nadeau

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a cordless grease gun with the needle and did not have any issues. Clean the area up real good with brake clean but watch your eyes for splash back.

10 Break

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Walmart sell a $20 kit with both of these in it and other accessories. I can't find a link for the one I got but it was just afew weeks ago.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is what you need

When I had my 3/4 ton-
I used that needle, and often I put it in the fitting and had someone else pump while I held it there and watched for it to seep out the back side.

Eng50

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.6l
I will give you some useful info, when I did mine (got my truck used with 16000mi on it). It had never been done...I have the electric grease guns 10 different tips etc..nothing worked until, when fully frustrated, I took a tiny punch to make sure the ball was actually moving to allow the grease in and it wasn't!..
I cleaned it all off with brake cleaner and used same punch lightly with small hits until I could feel the ball move in and out..I don't know if it was rust or dirt but it's quite easy to grease now with the tip you are supposed to use which is a cone tip, when turn the driveshaft and find the right angle two pumps and grease comes right out the other side..
Sorry this was long but I felt your pain and this is how I solved it..hope it helps..
Bill

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
lpfm1990

lpfm1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I will give you some useful info, when I did mine (got my truck used with 16000mi on it). It had never been done...I have the electric grease guns 10 different tips etc..nothing worked until, when fully frustrated, I took a tiny punch to make sure the ball was actually moving to allow the grease in and it wasn't!..
I cleaned it all off with brake cleaner and used same punch lightly with small hits until I could feel the ball move in and out..I don't know if it was rust or dirt but it's quite easy to grease now with the tip you are supposed to use which is a cone tip, when turn the driveshaft and find the right angle two pumps and grease comes right out the other side..
Sorry this was long but I felt your pain and this is how I solved it..hope it helps..
Bill

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

I had the same thought, gonna try again over the weekend, bought a longer flex hose so I can also try to get a better angle on it also, really wanna get it done before it decides to seize up and blow the transfer case when I click her into 4x4 during a snow storm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EastWestHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
6.4 w/4.10s
Pistol grip, flex hose, needle attachment. I just did mine the other day for the second time. I spin the driveshaft until the needle is pointed towards the passenger side at about a 7-8 o’clock angle, I come in with the needle to the left of the driver side exhaust mid pipe. You have to jam the needle in so that it is perpendicular to the grease fitting. If you push it in at an angle I found it doesn’t work. I lay on my back with the grease gun on my chest, squeeze pistol with my right and hold the needle with my left. My truck has never seen any snow or salt, so luckily mine isn’t rusted or anything. I still end up getting some grease everywhere too.

the worst part was that I left the grease gun with the special Mopar grease in my garage all summer long when it was probably 110-115 degrees. It must have melted multiple times and I had green liquids come out all over my chest and onto my garage floor out the plunger hole. But there must have been some good grease still left in there because I got it to push out on the back side.

it’s pretty much the worst part of servicing the truck

Last edited:

sottis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
pistol-grip grease gun is the only one you should own. those handle-style guns are worthless and shouldn't even be sold. (veteran of 20+ years greasing tractors, combines, and other crap)

OP
OP
lpfm1990

lpfm1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Pistol grip, flex hose, needle attachment. I just did mine the other day for the second time. I spin the driveshaft until the needle is pointed towards the passenger side at about a 7-8 o’clock angle, I come in with the needle to the left of the driver side exhaust mid pipe. You have to jam the needle in so that it is perpendicular to the grease fitting. If you push it in at an angle I found it doesn’t work. I lay on my back with the grease gun on my chest, squeeze pistol with my right and hold the needle with my left. My truck has never seen any snow or salt, so luckily mine isn’t rusted or anything. I still end up getting some grease everywhere too.

the worst part was that I left the grease gun with the special Mopar grease in my garage all summer long when it was probably 110-115 degrees. It must have melted multiple times and I had green liquids come out all over my chest and onto my garage floor out the plunger hole. But there must have been some good grease still left in there because I got it to push out on the back side.

it’s pretty much the worst part of servicing the truck

Luckily I don’t have a driver side exhaust pipe to deal with. She’s only got 6 cylinders [emoji41], but once it drys up today or tomorrow I’m gonna try again. Here in the wonderful state of ny (sarcasm) we see temps from mid 90’s down to -30 where I go snowmobiling in the Adirondack’s/tug hill plateau

OP
OP
lpfm1990

lpfm1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
pistol-grip grease gun is the only one you should own. those handle-style guns are worthless and shouldn't even be sold. (veteran of 20+ years greasing tractors, combines, and other crap)

I went to grab one from Napa yesterday. Walked out the door saying screw that. Napa wanted $50 for one, I can get the same type off amazon for $22, guess someone has to pay for chase Elliot, Ron Capps, and Alexander Rossi

EastWestHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
6.4 w/4.10s
I love the tug hill, you get a little dusting of snow there from time to time(sarcasm). I‘m from the Champlain valley.

OP
OP
lpfm1990

lpfm1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I love the tug hill, you get a little dusting of snow there from time to time(sarcasm). I‘m from the Champlain valley.
f0c236f9285cb86920d80981608a72da.jpg

Yeah. Or you go from 4-5 foot of snow to none in 2 days [emoji2959]

OP
OP
lpfm1990

lpfm1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Finally, success! Got the damn thing to take grease, took about 8 pumps of grease to see grease come out the backside [emoji15], now to toss some paint on the trans paint that’s flaking badly, and the front driveshaft, then slide over to my dads 3500 and do his

Maximum Angst

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Looked for 2 days. Couldn’t see the fitting. Went to a Chrysler dealer. Mechanic said truck had t be lifted by the frame so front wheels would drop exposing fitting. Removed driveshaft yesterday and sure enough, hidden away was the small hole. Got a needle fitting at local parts store and greased it up. I have a power grease gun . Shaft is still on the bench. Am going to mark fitting location very well before I install. Want to see if I can see it when truck is on it’s wheels. 2012 Ram 2500 series Looking for the fitting can make you crazy!!

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Yeah it seems on my truck that there is enough room for a regular zerk. It sure is a PITA to do. Sometimes I can't even tell if I am getting anything in there.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Or you can do what I do....ignore it.

Then again, I only use 4WD during winter snows when I have to travel. Regardless of limited use, almost no truck up here sells without 4WD, so they all come with it.

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
Or you can do what I do....ignore it.

Then again, I only use 4WD during winter snows when I have to travel. Regardless of limited use, almost no truck up here sells without 4WD, so they all come with it.
Ignoring it only works on 14+ models. Older ones it rotated even not in 4wd and they will blow apart and cause major issues.

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
I thought it spins on my 16' as well while not in 4X4? How does one determine this? Can't really open the door & look under it while driving.

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Ok, frustration level is off the charts.... how in the love of freakin god do you get grease into the ******** fitting, yes I’ve located it with ease, I see the indentation with a tiny hole in the center, I have the Lincoln needle fitting that everyone recommends... I’ve tried for a ******** hour and have grease everywhere but in the fitting and coming out the back side like I’ve seen on numerous YouTube videos... it’s like I need 3 extra arms to even do this. No wonder 95% of people don’t even try

this? Notice the tip vs yours.
https://www.amazon.com/Powerbuilt-648766-Needle-Grease-Dispenser/dp/B00PGC931O/ref=sr_1_8?crid=O7AZES08W5CW&dchild=1&keywords=needle+nose+grease+gun+tip&qid=1617894313&sprefix=needle+nose+grease+,automotive,365&sr=8-8

OP
OP
lpfm1990

lpfm1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7

From what I remember of that day, it took a small needle punch and a light tap of a hammer after “washing” the area with brake clean, and then a quick squirt of pb blaster. After that it took grease with ease

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcquinn