Theft is on the rise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rebel rouser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Its getting to the point were your going to have to carry a rfi scanner in your pocket and scan your car after coming out of a shopping center, thieves are sticking small GPS trackers in certain parts of the car making it a beacon for them to find easily, in many cases they use Apple air tags, do a online search for Air Tags used for car theft, I live in a subdivision with large properties out in the county, there are street lamps but wide apart, this would make me a perfect target, so you really have to add on layers of protection, having good neighbors is a plus, especially when they own a front end loader with backhoe.
My loader is from the bottom, backhoe used later.

goggles

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you've never seen this before, here is a video in how the car thief gets your keyfob information while outside of your house, and thats why you need to protect your keyfob with a faraday sleeve or box, besides tinfoil, aluminum window screening works great, wrap your cell phone in it and phone its number to test it.

dschmid37

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The Tazer DT allows you to program a 4 digit passcode now with your cruise control buttons.

NEW in firmware 18.1.7 (11/14/22):​

PIN Lock allows you to set a steering wheel button sequence (PIN) that must be entered before the vehicle can be driven. Learn more in your Tazer’s User Manual.​

Loudram

Just a sinner saved by grace
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The Tazer DT allows you to program a 4 digit passcode now with your cruise control buttons.

NEW in firmware 18.1.7 (11/14/22):​

PIN Lock allows you to set a steering wheel button sequence (PIN) that must be entered before the vehicle can be driven. Learn more in your Tazer’s User Manual.​

That alone is worth it to me. I'm going to look into this now.

Loudram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In some models that go into to diagnostic port - if you remove the TAZER, the pin function goes away.
If that's the case here then that feature is about useless. I have to dig into it unless someone in here can let us know for certain what the story is.

Loudram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
From what I've read on their website the Tazer DT plugs into the SGW module and when it's unplugged the pin no longer works. When I just recently had my new fob programmed the locksmith said that they don't use the OBD2 port for programming fob's anymore. He said the connection point is higher up behind the dash. Probably the SGW mod. If that's the case the Tazer will still get unplugged by the thieves when they try to connect to clone the fob.

I think this security feature isn't that secure. For the everyday run of the mill thief maybe. For a pro, this won't stop them. IMHO.

I think the pin falls into the non menu live function. What do you guys think?

Screenshot_20230127_181415_Brave.jpg

Last edited:

Mercruth

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 liter
I don't have remote unlock, so, I don't worry about that. Kill switch best. Sears used to sell a security battery that was the best idea I ever heard of for anti-theft. Once armed you could not jump or start vehicle w/o disarming battery. Unfortunately they got too cute and added a auto shut off feature so if you left your lights on the drain on the battery w/out charging would auto shut off the battery also to save your starting power. They were recalled, why? Cause if your alt. died, or some other charging problem with your vehicle the battery would just die, while your are driving worst case, thinking the car is shut off without input power. Could be dangerous if your like driving at night, or on curvy road and bam! you vehicle just dies, no lights, no nuthing..... So, had to give it back.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I know some company made a fuel cut off, the stolen car would not drive a city block, before it shut off. By that time, they were to far away to try to grab you.

Now that the Steering is Electronic, maybe finding a way to disable the steering with a remote switch controller.
=======================================

So what do we know:

Use a Faraday box in your home for all of your FOBs
Use a Faraday pouch to carry your primary FOB in

Lock your door by pressing the Lock button on your Door Switch, instead of locking your vehicle with the FOB

OH !! & don't believe a word the GM cyber security guy said in that video
People that buy new vehicle really do need to worry, their vehicles are not safe from cyber attacks

OP
OP
Rlaf75

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wound up buying these off amazon. They were $10. for the pair for the small pouches. To test it I put the fob in the pouch and closed it then got into the truck and tried to start it and the dash showed "no fob present" and would not start. While sitting in the truck I removed the fob from the pouch and I was able to start the engine like normal. The pouch does what it's supposed to do. Where I keep my keys in the house is in close proximity to the truck so I'll keep the fobs in the pouch when at homeScreenshot_20230128_074854_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Megadeth1

Reaction score
I've watched a bunch of videos on this. It seems like apart from the faraday box you should also park the front up against the garage door so the thief can't get infront of it to get in through the grill to cut the horn (if you cant park inside the garage) . Also the IGLA anti theft seems to be a good option.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I wound up buying these off amazon. They were $10. for the pair for the small pouches. To test it I put the fob in the pouch and closed it then got into the truck and tried to start it and the dash showed "no fob present" and would not start. While sitting in the truck I removed the fob from the pouch and I was able to start the engine like normal. The pouch does what it's supposed to do. Where I keep my keys in the house is in close proximity to the truck so I'll keep the fobs in the pouch when at homeView attachment 512492

I have them for the fobs for both my wife's car and my truck, got lucky got 4 of them for $11.99 and I can add they do work...

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
I've watched a bunch of videos on this. It seems like apart from the faraday box you should also park the front up against the garage door so the thief can't get infront of it to get in through the grill to cut the horn (if you cant park inside the garage) . Also the IGLA anti theft seems to be a good option.

I just learned about RAM moving the horn to an accessible area near the grill on the newer trucks. On my 2018 (and older trucks) the horn is buried halfway up in the fender making it inaccessible.
Seems like they took a step backwards on security.

Stavinksi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I wound up buying these off amazon. They were $10. for the pair for the small pouches. To test it I put the fob in the pouch and closed it then got into the truck and tried to start it and the dash showed "no fob present" and would not start. While sitting in the truck I removed the fob from the pouch and I was able to start the engine like normal. The pouch does what it's supposed to do. Where I keep my keys in the house is in close proximity to the truck so I'll keep the fobs in the pouch when at homeView attachment 512492good deco. I bought same and they do stop the fob signal dead.

davinski

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yikes, I had no idea fobs were that easy to hack. Thanks for posting. Good thing I live in the #1 state for car theft. We had our rigs broken into 3 different times across 6 months '21-'22 here in Colorado, at 3 different locations. And CO is only #2 for vehicle break-ins. Off to amazon...

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
if someone wants my truck that bad they better make sure they trash it (i don't think my doors are even locked).i don't want it back after it's stolen.i have no problem upgrading to a new truck.mine must have close to 16 thousand kilometers on it now so it's time :Big Laugh:

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Today was the first time that i pushed the LOCK button on the drivers door master switch, before closing it.
I just had to remember not to use the FOB to lock it
The thing is, i have the Passive FOB, where you insert the FOB into ignition, so the FOB is in your hand & i want to use the door lock in busy parking lots.
modern day problems, hehe

Last edited: