Theft is on the rise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

UncleBeer

Reaction score
Faraday pouches are a waste. My truck was stolen yesterday from a park n fly garage in Toronto. The keys are currently with me in the Bahamas.
I watched the truck through the app, travel today from Ottawa to Montreal. Police did not seem to care enough to locate the truck while the low-life thief was still with the vehicle.
Seems it's open season for thieves to operate with little or no consequences.

Last edited:

zzzxhk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Faraday pouches are a waste. My truck was stolen yesterday from a park n fly garage in Toronto. The keys are currently with me in the Bahamas.
I watched the truck through the app, travel today from Ottawa to Montreal. Police did not seem to care enough to locate the truck while the low-life thief was still with the vehicle.
So sorry to hear that. Call the garage and make sure they keep any video for that day. I don't know the details of 'how' in your case, but Faraday bags are only one layer of security. Any truck can be stolen with the right tools. I'm guessing that the truck was broken into the old fashioned way and a fob duplicated from the OBD port. Details would be interesting and helpful if you ever find out.

The sorry state of the Police State is another thread entirely.

KoboldTaco

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
Sorry, brother. As others have said, locks keep honest people honest and if someone really wants it, they will take it. As I say that, I do have some things that I add to make me feel better - locking def and diesel caps. Not to prevent people from taking def or diesel, but to keep do-gooder environmentalists from contaminating the tanks.

I work for a company where I’ve had to travel to the middle-East for work - they have pin pads for kill switches before you can start the car. Not impossible to work around, but certainly makes the next guy's rig without it more desirable.

Last, it’s sad we don’t have consequences anymore for stuff like this. I recently heard here in CA, it’s no longer a felony but I need to confirm that.

Kenobi

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3L Diesel
Faraday bags are only one layer of security. Any vehicle be stolen with the right tools. I'm guessing that the truck was broken into the old fashioned way and a fob duplicated from the OBD port.
^This. That method can take as little as 5 mins.

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
So sorry to hear that. Call the garage and make sure they keep any video for that day. I don't know the details of 'how' in your case, but Faraday bags are only one layer of security. Any truck can be stolen with the right tools. I'm guessing that the truck was broken into the old fashioned way and a fob duplicated from the OBD port. Details would be interesting and helpful if you ever find out.

The sorry state of the Police State is another thread entirely.

>I'm guessing that the truck was broken into the old fashioned way and a fob duplicated from the OBD port.

How was this done?

I'm less concerned about it since I've added a kill switch. I can't start the truck with the kill switch on.

Kenobi

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3L Diesel
Still requires a window smash, though, right?

At least a faraday fob pouch doesn't let them cruise right in with just a relay signal.
Not necessarily. There is one kit that has an air bladder. Once slipped in between the window and doorframe it gets inflated, leaving you room to reach in with your hand or a tool and unlock the door.

For accessing the ODB port and programming a blank key (one example): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pryM7EFRO2A

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Newer vehicles, maybe 2020 & newer, should have Laminated Glass in your windshield & side windows.

Laminated Glass does not break easily, so that people in a roll over crash, can not be ejected from the vehicle.

Breaking into a vehicle that has Laminated Glass on the sides, is a real chore, this becomes a problem when a child or dog is left in a closed up vehicle when the temperature is 90°F or more
or if some ones vehicle is in a situation where some one has to be quickly removed from a vehicle.

You have to saw laminated glass to make a body sized hole

shrubs

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Deterrent....is the key word. Years ago I got "The Club". Have used it on many vehicles. Low cost, old tech, mildly clumsy but still viable.

Modern bad guys, stealing, have to be put off by this device.

BTW how do I get signed up for the latest in vehicle theft newsletter all the bad guys get?:D

edit for typo.

WoodGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Deterrent....is the key word. Years ago I got "The Club". Have used it on many vehicles. Low cost, old tech, mildly clumsy but still viable.

Modern bad guys, stealing, have to be put off by this device.

BTW how do I get signed up for the latest in vehicle theft newsletter all the bad guys get?:D

edit for typo.
Sadly, cordless tools quickly render the club largely useless, at least thats what a PD friend tells me. The real problem is the soft on crime mentality that has infested many once great cities, and entire states in some cases. Cutting off a finger for first offense, thumb for second and bullet to the head for third offense would deter more folks. 3 stikes and you're OUT, that would be the headline of the newsletter.

UncleBeer

Reaction score
Update from Montreal police;
They said "there doesn't appear to be much damage". Apparently both side windows are cracked from gaining access. The officer said they likely programmed their own fob once inside.

The officer then said I'd have to travel to Montreal to pick it up! LoL That's only a 10 hour trip. Not gonna happen. But needless to say, I haven't inspected the truck yet myself. It was brand new, less than 6,000 km when it was stolen.

But, according to this article, it appears I'm certainly not alone. Funny that Stellantis thinks thefts are rare.

Last edited:

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Too much software, too much convenience.

I thought a key start with embedded chip was fine. All this electronic crap is nothing but coders constantly hacking each other. I wish we were given a choice in options.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI

More and more professional thief tools.
It's almost like locks are useless except to keep mischievous kids out only.

They still need a key fob code to start, though. I don't understand how that can be done without the owner's radiating fob.

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
More and more professional thief tools.
It's almost like locks are useless except to keep mischievous kids out only.

They still need a key fob code to start, though. I don't understand how that can be done without the owner's radiating fob.

Security devices of all kinds are to get thieves to move onto easier targets.

With enough tools and time all security devices can be defeated.

Loudram

Just a sinner saved by grace
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They used a Ram but that works for just about EVERY car. All you have to do is get a coat hanger in there and hit the unlock button like he showed.

The funny thing is I was in Home Depot today and I was looking at a bag like that in the tool section. It was with the wedges. It has a 300lb load rating. It's called the Air Shim. Only $18. They also have an XL pro version that's rated for 500lbs.

zzzxhk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Wrong. Just access to the OBD port, blank fob and the right tools. Seriously stupid you can do this. What were these car companies thinking??? :mad::mad::mad:

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Wrong. Just access to the OBD port, blank fob and the right tools. Seriously stupid you can do this. What were these car companies thinking??? :mad::mad::mad:

Ah, yeah - forgot about that. An unprotected OBDII access is absurd.

Their "keyless" convenience made for easier stealing.

About as dumb a software design as you can get. Chief Engineers should all have been fired. I mean this is amateur level security mistake.

BNB GARAGE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.1 Cummings
I keep my fob's in a faraday box. The hard part is getting my wife to put hers in it. Her Edge isn't on the top stolen car list but it does have passive entry so it's easier to get into it than mine is without it.

I still feel Ram isn't doing enough to prevent theft. It doesn't take much to add a pin or a way for us to verify that a new fob being programmed is authorized by us.

I just had a new fob programmed a couple of weeks ago. I bought an OEM refurbished one with the tailgate release on it because my fob's didn't have that button but the truck had the option. It only took the locksmith a few minutes to program the new fob. It was scary fast but he did say that on the '22's you don't use the OBD2 port to program them anymore. There's someplace else to plug into. But regardless it still only took him a few minutes and he was done.

I don't live in a bad area but I still might put a kill switch in it.
Brother a faraday box is useless, they are breaking in and copying a key right through the obd port.

The IGLA Anti-Theft is that best system out there.

it blocks the obd port and doesnt allow you to start the car unless you punch is a pin code by using the factory buttons on your steering wheel and the factory buttons on your dash.

once you do that the car will start.

heres two videos, 1st video shows you how it works and second will show you why phone notifications, Faraday boxes and GPS tracking are flawed.

1st : https://fb.watch/jiRJbySow7/
2nd: https://fb.watch/jiSfvnaFwT/