Theft is on the rise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JW2 Innovations

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
Push button start wiring harness kill switch – How to

The following parts and tools are needed to assemble the main wiring harness:

Qty 1 – 776204-2 Female end connector on Mouser.com

Qty 1 – 345178-2 Male end connector on Mouser.com

Qty 4 – 175180-2 Female end connector on Mouser.com

Qty 4 – 173682-1 Male end connector on Mouser.com

7mm socket/wrench or screwdriver type tool. I used something like this I already own for removing the kick plate located under the steering wheel at your knees:

7mm socket tool on Amazon

Tesa Tape
(or other wiring harness protection of choice) Tesa Tape On Amazon

Small size crimper for ends – not something from Home Depot or Lowe’s which is too big. I used/own: Engineer Crimper and bit on Amazon

20 or 22AWG multi-strand wiring of choice. I had some 20awg on hand that I used. I like to use tinned wiring for anything I do for auto or boat, but your choice. Don’t use aluminum copper clad wiring – like EVER on a vehicle or boat for that matter. Nothing but issues will come your way.

• ~ 6in for each of the 3 wires that go from one connector to the other.
  • ~2ft of wire from each connector which you can see with Tesa tape wrapping it up in photo. This is where the switch of choice goes for on/off operation.
Wire stripper or method for cleanly stripping wires. I have something similar to this one: Quick wire stripper on Amazon

A SPST switch of your choice. I prefer something like:

One SPST switch option on Amazon

Switch Boot (optional): If you place it in a location you are worried about it possibly being seen since it is shiny metal, you can put this on it as one option (TBH, there are probably cheaper options as well for this part):

Switch boot option on Amazon

Other switch suggestions (thanks again @Wild one ):

Option #1 switch on Amazon

Option #2 switch on Amazon

When crimping the ends on with one type connector above on each end (note picture later, each new metal connector end looks different for each end – male on one end, female on the other end of 3 of the 4 connectors you will use), be sure you leave slot on the back of each new connector end, where the Red wire on the original harness (closest one on edge of connector, see pics) would go alone as these are used for the longer wires on each new connector. Each new connector end will have the appropriate end put on the 2ft of wire for where the Red Wire goes into that connector.

Original plug into the back of the push button start switch when connected for reference (note only 4 wires in a 6 wire connector used) – Note Red wire on far edge of connector:

Red Wire on pushbutton switch v2.jpeg

Last edited:

JW2 Innovations

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
Harness assembled once all connectors put on each of the 3 sets of direct wires going between new connectors, note position on new connector ends (flat side of connector facing you on each end in picture– 2 slots you do NOT use of the 6 on each new connector – notice wires look offset on the back of the connector due to NOT using those 2 slots). And then the longer wires where the original connector wiring would go (Red wire on original connector has the longer wires for switch as seen below) with some Tesa tape to both protect and conceal the wiring as it routes to your kill switch location of choice so would be theft has a more difficult time spotting it vs. just some bare wiring.

Push Button Wiring harness.jpg

Some final Tesa Tape on the short area of wiring for same reasons listed above for final assembled harness before the switch is added:

Assembled Harness with Tesa Tape v2.jpg

Now you are ready to put it in between the plug on the backside of your push to start button in your truck. Test it first before you mount the switch, upon successful testing then run the wires to your preferred hiding location for your kill switch. Connect one long wire to one pole on back side of Switch, and the other long wire to the other pole on the switch (use switch with only 2 connectors on it), and you are ready for final mounting. Use connectors or solder directly to switch. If solder, then some shrink wrap tape for size of wire you are using so ends are protected/covered. In my 4th Gen 2500 I only removed the access panel below the steering wheel and reached up to unplug the original connector from the backside of the push button switch, and then add in the new harness. I didn't have to remove the push button switch itself to add the new harness.

Last edited:

JW2 Innovations

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
Testing and expected results:

Test 1: With the cable harness installed behind your push button start and with switch on the new harness in the On position (or bare wires touching from each of the two long wire ends if you haven’t attached your switch yet in order to complete the connection – being careful not to touch anything else while doing this so nothing shorts out) Start the truck as you normally would.

Expected Result: Truck starts as it normally does by either pushing the button or if equipped using remote start on the FOB.

Remote start further step: Once truck is running, enter the truck and push the push button start to remove notice on the dash and have truck continue to run.

Resolve issues: If truck does not start by pressing the push button or pushing the push button start after you remote start your truck and then pushing the push button start does NOT clear the display, check the following

Ensure both new ends of connector is fully seated on both original wiring connector and back of push button start. If that looks good, remove harness and check to ensure you have the metal ends within each new connector fully seated (they click in when fully seated when you assembled them).

Test 2: With the cable harness installed behind your push button start and with switch on the new harness in the Off position (or bare wires NOT touching from each of the two long wire ends if you haven’t attached your switch yet in order to complete the connection – being careful not to touch anything else while doing this so nothing shorts out) Try to Start the truck as you normally would by pressing the push button start.

Expected result: You should NOT be able to start the truck by simply pushing the push button start button.

Remote start further step: Truck WILL remote start using the FOB. Enter the truck and push the push button start to remove notice on the dash. This should NOT work. Once successful either put the switch back to on and push the push button start button again, or connect the wires together if switch is not yet installed.

Resolve issues: If truck did start check switch position or ensure wires are separated (if no switch yet attached to long wire leads on new harness) for new long wire leads on harness. Same thing if you remote start the truck and then push the push button start button and it clears the display notice check the switch to be in off position or wires separated on new long leads in harness.

For this OFF test, you do not need to check the new ends or pins within the new connectors, because for the OFF test to Fail something is making the connection on the switch or new long wire harness connection.

My own testing:
Before I went to do this write-up, I did test the harness you see in the pics above and it worked as expected first try. I have not even ordered a switch myself yet, but tested it with the new long wires having bare ends and either connecting them or not depending on the test. And this thing works Great! Having 2ft of wire for the switch part of the harness may be too long for some depending on your location choice for where you hide the switch, but I don’t think would be that much waste to just cut off to length you need when you mount this in your truck. If you really want to put the switch in somewhere like your center console or door even you would have to solder/connect a longer bit of wiring to make that distance. Again, it all depends on where you mount it. I did verify that this harness works with 4th Gen push button start (as I own a 2016 Ram 2500) and I have a 5th Gen Red Ram TRX push button start module I tested it on as well and the new connection ends and wiring are identical to 4th Gen, so will work on newer as well. In fact the 5th Gen Red push button start actually started my 4th Gen just fine! Just the lighted Aux and Run lights on the switch itself didn’t light up – nor could I mount it in the truck as its very different mounting approach. 3D Printer time? Maybe later.

JW2 Innovations

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
Note: While assembling this harness it was obvious that these connector ends being pretty small would be a challenge for some without the right crimping tool as listed above (or some other name brand with correct size for these connectors) you will struggle to assemble this harness, maybe ruin the new end connectors – I ordered extra with the right crimper and still ruined one. Here is view of size with AAA battery next to it, so you have an idea of what I’m mentioning here:

End connector size comparison v2.jpg

Last thought: Nice thing about this solution is that if you decide later you do not want it – or a better solution comes out later you can simply disconnect the wiring harness and plug the original connector back into the back of the push button start button as if it never happened. So easy to reverse out of making this mod if something changes later for any reason with no permanent change to your truck.

I hope this write up helps someone thinking about doing this. Very simple, not that expensive, and a little more piece of mind. Nothing is bullet proof, but this will slow them down or discourage them all together with just a little effort on my part, no extra remotes to carry, and easy to back it out like I mentioned later if needed.

JW2 Innovations

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
I’ve got a DM to the admins/owner of this site to see if this is something I could offer up for sale for those that don’t have the time, tools, etc to see if that is possible. Once I hear back to find out if that is a possible option (or not) I’ll update with that answer either way it goes.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Awesome write up TJW961. You've come up with a very good plug-n-play harness i like it.
For the Canucks or northern neighbours on here,hockey stick tape is easy to get and is very close to Tesa tape

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Did you try stepping on the brake pedal with the switch in the off position TJ,if the Diesal 2500's are similiar to the 1500's it should shut the truck off

JW2 Innovations

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
Awesome write up TJW961. You've come up with a very good plug-n-play harness i like it.
For the Canucks or northern neighbours on here,hockey stick tape is easy to get and is very close to Tesa tape
Didn't know that, good to know! Thanks!

JW2 Innovations

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
Did you try stepping on the brake pedal with the switch in the off position TJ,if the Diesal 2500's are similiar to the 1500's it should shut the truck off
I didn't but will try that tomorrow. We have storm rolling right now and Tornado warning going on. We keep bumping into each other's posts...I'm Jeff btw. :) Thought it's about time I introduce myself.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I didn't but will try that tomorrow. We have storm rolling right now and Tornado warning going on. We keep bumping into each other's posts...I'm Jeff btw. :) Thought it's about time I introduce myself.
Glad to meet you Jeff,i'm Rick. :cheers:

JW2 Innovations

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
I tested by remote starting the 2500 both from inside and outside the truck. Got mixed results. Inside it worked, starting from outside it did not shut down the truck. Both tests the column shifter was locked in Park not allowing movement.

JW2 Innovations

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
Last edited:

Spsully

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
wait.... they arent the same thing? ***** I have been buying stick tape for this use for years thinking it was the same thing. No joke. I also buy horse "vet wrap" instead of the "people" self adhesive wrap that costs 3 times the amount. If they arent the same, dont tell me. I like being ignorant.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
wait.... they arent the same thing? ***** I have been buying stick tape for this use for years thinking it was the same thing. No joke. I also buy horse "vet wrap" instead of the "people" self adhesive wrap that costs 3 times the amount. If they arent the same, dont tell me. I like being ignorant.
Every nitrous set-up i've done in the last 10 years has been distiguised using hockey stick tape,lol.I've had so called nitrous guru's go over my truck and the wifes car,and never find the nitrous set-ups on either,lol.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I was introduced to 'vet wrap' years ago after I started hanging out with a few women that worked at the local city humane society. They were fun neighbors with a house filled with animals and lots of cold beer. What else could you want from your neighbors? :cool:

Vet wrap is excellent for sports-related injuries, for those that aren't already aware.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Following.

I'm not a sparky like you all, but definitely interested in good retrofit solutions to hackable OBDII ports! This kind of stuff is why I joined the Forum - just excellent member sharing.

@JW2 Innovations - are you looking for alpha / beta testers, or you think you've got it worked out?

JW2 Innovations

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
Following.

I'm not a sparky like you all, but definitely interested in good retrofit solutions to hackable OBDII ports! This kind of stuff is why I joined the Forum - just excellent member sharing.

@JW2 Innovations - are you looking for alpha / beta testers, or you think you've got it worked out?
Thanks for the offer @HEMIMANN , I think I'm good on the RAM Trucks now. Both push button and now key FOB start ignitions too!
No Splice Kill Switch Harness for 4th & 5th Gen key FOB start trucks!

Other CDJR models that work with the No Splice Kill Switch Harness LINK

Thanks for reaching out!

Last edited: