Thefts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

doc 11 ACR

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I need help. My catalytic converters were stolen for the second time in four months. I can't change the truck, a 2010 Ram 2500 TRX crew cab, and it's not feasible to move. I live in a condo complex with large parking lots. My question is, is there an alarm system available that would help alert me to a theft as it is being done? It costs my insurance company close to $4,000 each time. I'm guessing the next time they will drop us. That would label us an insurance risk. Please, any help would be appreciated.

heckcat9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I dealt with this on a previous truck and ended up having a custom 1/4" steel skid plate fabricated to protect my cats and transfer case. The plate was tied into the transmission crossmember so the thieves would have been crushed by the driveline if they tried to unbolt it.

What I did was a bit malicious, but the general idea of not being able to access the cats or have the clearance to remove them is a pretty good deterent.

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Depending how good your wifi is and how far away you have to park, maybe a Blink camera? I have one of those inside my garage, one on my patio, one on my driveway, etc... they just use lithium AA batteries which last about a year.

Most of the time they just alert me to a cat defecating in my back yard or a deer eating the leaves off my young fruit trees.. but once my wife deliberately showed me her assets through the security camera while I was at work :Big Laugh:
:Big Laugh:

Big Jims 1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Depending how good your wifi is and how far away you have to park, maybe a Blink camera? I have one of those inside my garage, one on my patio, one on my driveway, etc... they just use lithium AA batteries which last about a year.

Most of the time they just alert me to a cat defecating in my back yard or a deer eating the leaves off my young fruit trees.. but once my wife deliberately showed me her assets through the security camera while I was at work :Big Laugh:
:Big Laugh:
You’re a lucky man. She’s a keeper!

Bigs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
There are a few theft deterrent systems out there but I don't know how effective they are. Might be worth talking to your insurance, heck, they may even pay for it!

CC Rascal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Am I missing s
something or is there a way to prevent gasoline thefts on my 2019 Ram......the gas cap has no way to lock it,just just push on a smooth piece of metal cover, and am afraid just anyone can walk up and siphon gas as it is so expensive right now...any solutions ?

Tc3509

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I need help. My catalytic converters were stolen for the second time in four months. I can't change the truck, a 2010 Ram 2500 TRX crew cab, and it's not feasible to move. I live in a condo complex with large parking lots. My question is, is there an alarm system available that would help alert me to a theft as it is being done? It costs my insurance company close to $4,000 each time. I'm guessing the next time they will drop us. That would label us an insurance risk. Please, any help would be appreciated.
Running boards, Mine is stock height with factory running boards, cant get under it ! to do oil changes without jacking it up, not sure how high yours is but my cats are pretty safe, im only 5'6'' 130 lbs and i cant get under it. maybe under rear axle, never tried that as im changing oil not stealing ... best way is the shield/guard idea that someone mentioned, but the running boards, with mudflaps really make it hard to get underneath

sorry to hear of all those this is happening to

stembridge

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
Am I missing s
something or is there a way to prevent gasoline thefts on my 2019 Ram......the gas cap has no way to lock it,just just push on a smooth piece of metal cover, and am afraid just anyone can walk up and siphon gas as it is so expensive right now...any solutions ?
You can buy a Mopar locking gas cap (for spark-ignited trucks), but the sad reality is that more gasoline is stolen by the perp drilling a hole in your tank from underneath. It's very difficult to siphon gas any more due to anti-siphoning devices in your fill pipe.

es

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Mudders Beast

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Motion alarm if you think it would help, but guess a grinder makes noise too. These are very inexpensive to try, have them on motorcycles. Maybe more than one hidden.
443C94CD-4C2B-482C-A09F-FACD0F788F71.jpeg

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
I agree some time of motion sensor alarm or leave a LARGE German Shepard tied to the truck :O
But that does suck, loosing a Cat twice.
At the Mall in Bangor maine the furniture Store had their Box Truck parked in the OPEN parking lot. and at about 10am they saw someone cutting off their Cats :O . They took a video of the truck and you can hear the sawzall cutting away . They were lucky and got the plate # as well. But those dirtbags are all over the place now. It got so bad up here the law is you have to show ID when turning in scrap converters ! But that has not stopped the thefts

seanclark1503

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Turbo Diesel
If the optional skid plate will cover both cats, that’s the way to go . If not , I’ve seen some welders create some nice looking cages out of rebar .

Attachments

• DD466EAA-91F1-42D3-8024-916E7BBA7F3D.png
    DD466EAA-91F1-42D3-8024-916E7BBA7F3D.png
    595 KB · Views: 41

jagman_xjs

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 2011 2019 2023
Engine
5.7 Hemi(s)
Is there a reason you have to have them? If mine get stolen I will not put them back on it. I also have step bars on my RAM so that may help a little.