Thefts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CaptOchs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
We had a law passed to curb theft by requiring vehicle registration thus showing proof of ownership. It also required scrappers keep 3 years of documentation and provide a 14 day holding period before payout. It also raised the penalties for thieves. It was torpedoed by our democratic county executive. He didn't think it would solve the problem and impede legitimate scrappers from recycling them. Plus since its only at a county level, one could simply drive to another county and scrap them there. The legislation needs to be applied at a state level.

My father-in-law had his stolen out of his Subaru. His insurance covers it once every three years. If it happens again within 3 years he'll have to pay the entire cost (roughly $2000) out of pocket.

I don't know which state you live in, but in most cases you can use cheaper Federal Standard cats over CARB-Compliant. If you do end up paying out of pocket, it could save hundreds. NYS technically you need to replace a CARB CAT with a CARB CAT. Other states aren't as strict.

nwhunter55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 diesel
Back in the early 70's when stereos used to get stolen from cars epoxying razor blades to the stereo was an effective theft deterrent, other than blood that ended up on the carpeting, might work on convertors. But lawsuits today........

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
You need something that will prevent a Sawzall or grinder from zipping it off. With scrap metal prices increasing, cat theft will increase as well. Alarms are useless. Things that hinder the sale after the fact are probably useless, unless it's an organized ring. If it's Johnny Crackhead, he doesn't have that level of forethought. Even worse is organized theft rings. Watch for scout vehicles. An organized group will drop people off, have them stroll the parking lot (they'll likely be on cell phones), identify likely targets, and then hit them all at once.

Parking as close to the building as possible, making it a multi-minute attempt to cut off, and complaining to the apartment complex until they get a security patrol are your best options. I know the last is probably a pipe dream.

16Ram4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That would really be more effective with razor wire wrapped around the catalytic converter(s), plus the rebar cage as it would take more time.

A great idea would be this if it was able to be enforced.
What they really need to do is revise the laws to include major legal penalties for committing a crime with an electronic battery operated power tool of any type.
Like 10 years of extremely supervised probation for use of a electronic battery operated power tool in committing a crime. Plus prohibiting the use or ownership of any electronic battery operated power tools of any type during the 10 year probation period.

Scott Sanders

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It was torpedoed by our democratic county executive. He didn't think it would solve the problem
That county executive was actually correct in acknowledging that a county law won't impede the thieves. Kind of like Chicago's gun laws don't work because folks buy them in Indiana instead. Issues like these are difficult to reel in since laws may be different from county to county or state to state.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
most targeted vehicles
the vehicles targeted most are Ford F-150s, panel or transportation vans, Honda Accords, Honda Elements, and the most frequent target of all: the Toyota Prius.

Prius owners that have been hit once, are often hit again

Moose2

Military
Reaction score
We as a country need to follow the lead of pelosi & schiff. If we would all pay just a little more in taxes, we could offer anyone who has the urge to re-purpose someone's cat, some form of financial compensation. That would be my suggestion. Alarms are loud & obnoxious. Nick
We also wouldn’t lock our doors or have fences around our yards.

tman1112000

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
unfortunately the battery powered disc grinders they have these days will make quick work of that rebar.
but it will add 2 minutes to the steal time so you can hear them and release the hounds! :superhack: :biggun:
yes but cutting 2 pieces of pipe vs 2 pieces pipe and all that rebar makes it a higher possibility of being heard or running outta battery power

heckcat9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Rebar would definitely help. Any sort of difficult to cut material between the cats and the thief will help mitigate theft since thiefs want an easy score. After I got my skid plates fabricated I never had my cats stolen again.
We as a country need to follow the lead of pelosi & schiff. If we would all pay just a little more in taxes, we could offer anyone who has the urge to re-purpose someone's cat, some form of financial compensation. That would be my suggestion. Alarms are loud & obnoxious. Nick
Is this sarcasm.

Nick14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes, sarcasm. Unfortunately, if I stated my suggestion, the cowardly liberal **** currently in office would cry. Nick

heckcat9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes, sarcasm. Unfortunately, if I stated my suggestion, the cowardly liberal **** currently in office would cry. Nick
Let them cry. Saving our cats is far more important than their feelings haha.

My suggestion in this thread involved the theives getting crushed by my driveline... Which is pretty tame to other nations using flamethrowers to deal with theives...

Wulf

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The problem with that idea is the way society is these days, instead of dealing with the thieves the right way and punishing THEM, they will likely come after you for some BS reason.

Sorry for those that disliked this post, but that seems to be the way things happen. A robber, who has no business being on your property for anything good, can, if they injure themselves on your property, sue you for their injury, which they wouldn't have gotten if they hadn't been there in the first place. That is way this lawsuit happy society has gotten.