Then vs. Now?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Meatgeek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Had a 2011 Ram 4500 CC with the 6.7. Was a DRW with an aluminum flatbed. Was hauling some cattle, hay and an RV semi regular when I purchased it. Loved the truck. Also used it as a DD. As I cut back on the hauling, I still used it for the DD. Had lots of "engine trouble". Nothing major. Multiple CEL. Replaced multiple sensors multiple times and kind of lived with the last CEL for a year. Took a long multi-state trip on the highway a little faster than the speed limit. After a couple of hours the CEL cleared and everything was fine. I figured the emissions crap didn't like not being worked.

Have had 2 gas trucks since then with occasional towing but mostly DD. Had a 3500 CC with a 6.4 Hemi and lastly (now) an F350CC with a 6.2 Gasser.

I like the simplicity and lack of extra maintenance that the diesel brings. However, I am doing more towing and the 6.2 Ford is just not cutting it anymore. Thinking about a diesel again.

Have the 6.7 engines gotten any better with not "gumming up" (for lack of a better term) if not worked hard like a diesel deserves? Am I likely to be chasing CEL's and other problems associated with lots of short trips or have things been refined since 2011?

Thanks

MoparProud

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The entire system is different, 2011 did not have DEF and any truck ‘13 and newer does. DEF system is WAY better than the non-DEF system, period. Power is up, mileage is up, the whole system is more reliable.

I would NOT have an ‘07.5-‘12 Ram stock, it would be a must to delete. I would have a ‘13 and newer bone stock and not worry about it at all.

JF19Longhorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 ETorque
The new 7.3L gasser could be an option too.

I've read it's a beast towing and, so far, pretty reliable. ..though I've read it's a very thirsty motor.

Tim7139

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Classic ST Crew 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi w/8 speed 3.92 gears
Have the 6.7 engines gotten any better with not "gumming up" (for lack of a better term) if not worked hard like a diesel deserves? Am I likely to be chasing CEL's and other problems associated with lots of short trips or have things been refined since 2011?

Thanks
A bit, but not a lot.

The variable geometry turbo's and actuators get gunked up if your not using the jake and working the truck.

Don't need the long hard drives to regenerate the emissions, but the systems still work best when you work them.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
morgansamuel