Thermometer way off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kickboxer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi-non-Etorque
New 2020 1500, the outside thermometer reading is erratic, often around 10* off,
sometimes close enough within 2*.

Any others with this issue ?

Papa Red

Papa Red
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I had that way back on my 2002 Ram. The dealer replaced the sensor and it was fine from there.

Red

Timeless

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Mine is way off always on initial startup...think it is because it is in the sun and heats up the surrounding area where the sensor is (since it is black most likely). Takes a few minutes of driving to get the reading to become accurate.

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
New 2020 1500, the outside thermometer reading is erratic, often around 10* off,
sometimes close enough within 2*.

Any others with this issue ?
I think their is a way to re-calibrate the system ,you would have to goggle it

beerthirty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi v8
Mine is way off always on initial startup...think it is because it is in the sun and heats up the surrounding area where the sensor is (since it is black most likely). Takes a few minutes of driving to get the reading to become accurate.

Mine does the same as this. A little disappointing too because we own another older vehicle that immediately shows a true temp rather than hotter when it sits in the sun.

Timeless

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I pretty much know the temperature before I get to the truck. Just a gadget with little relevance to me.

It matters if you have hvac set to automatic as it will blow the AC MAX for a LONG time as it is usually 10+ degrees off to the high side.

Timeless

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Not connected. The autoclimate control has its own thermostat inside the truck.

Fairly certain it works with the outside sensor to determine the intensity of the fan/cooling/heating.

In addition it works with the outside sensor most likely to determine heated seats/steering wheel when doing remote starts.

Jus Cruisin

Gearhead
Reaction score
Metro Detroit area after 28 years in Florida
Ram Year
2019 Limited 4X4
Engine
E-torque hemi
Screenshot_20200519-104257_Chrome.jpg
Fairly certain it works with the outside sensor to determine the intensity of the fan/cooling/heating.

In addition it works with the outside sensor most likely to determine heated seats/steering wheel when doing remote starts.
Nope

Last edited:

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
There is this little thing that runs around the truck call the CANbus that transfers data from modules all over the vehicle, like the door modules that the OAT plugs into. It's even shown on the CANbus connection on the wiring diagram. The HVAC system can be affected by the sensor not reading and it causes a CEL.
It's also widely know the Auto Heated/Cooled seats are enabled via ambient temperature, turns on the heat below 40°F and cooling above 80°F

Utah Biker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've only had my truck for a couple weeks (2020 Limited) but I've noticed this as well. From what I see though, the initial read is pretty close to the true outside temps. Still high, but closer. As time goes on (within 5 minutes) the temperature reads higher and higher. Usually around 5-10 degrees higher!