Thermostat Shot

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
I have noticed lately that I am only reaching about 185*. Right where I prefer it to be but not as hot as these are supposed to run. It finally threw a code saying insufficient engine temp. I am guessing it is stuck open. My question is you cannot run a lower temp thermostat in these like you can the 5.7 correct? Even if you could, I suppose you would have to tell the computer that this temp is normal. Probably get me a new one ordered here over the next few days. I think they say they are supposed to run around 216*. I think I have read that this issue is common on the 6.4 so I think I will buy something different than the Mopar OEM replacement.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
This is not the 1970s , I would only run the factory recommendEd temp . These trucks have more brains then people do

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My I Phone definitely does, LMAO....

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
U can run a lower temp thermostat, but I would not go too low, because all the new stuff is intertwined and controlled by computer. I do not know enuf ref how the computers talk and set up timing etc,., but everything is interdependent of another system now, just a saying. All IMHO .....

CAVEAT: I hate my truck is smarter than I am, lmao...

DA BOIRD

turkey.JPG

OP
OP
68PowerWagon

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Yeah I don't even see one available at a lower temp. I am not all hell bent on a lower temp like some of the hot rod guys on here, I was just kind of curious if it had been done on a 6.4 or not. Now I did take out the thermostat that goes to my tranny cooler. That is just a **** poor design! If FCA wants to do that than fine just make it so when it is fully open there is no restriction. I was very surprised when I took mine off... by the design & by how much cooler it ran.

csuder99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Running at lower temps is beneficial for power or fuel economy (depending on how you drive :) ) but not for emissions which is why modern vehicles throw DTCs when the engine is running cold.
In the olden days failing thermostats would cause overheating, today they cause lower engine temperatures which then cause the CEL.

OP
OP
68PowerWagon

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Running at lower temps is beneficial for power or fuel economy (depending on how you drive :) ) but not for emissions which is why modern vehicles throw DTCs when the engine is running cold.
In the olden days failing thermostats would cause overheating, today they cause lower engine temperatures which then cause the CEL.
It seemed like on the older vehicles most of the time when a thermostat failed, it failed closed & would not open. Mine is obviously open giving me the luxury of getting it repaired over the next several weeks. Stuck closed & I wouldn't make it 5 minutes down the road before it would be over heating.

SeppW

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I have noticed lately that I am only reaching about 185*. Right where I prefer it to be but not as hot as these are supposed to run. It finally threw a code saying insufficient engine temp. I am guessing it is stuck open. My question is you cannot run a lower temp thermostat in these like you can the 5.7 correct? Even if you could, I suppose you would have to tell the computer that this temp is normal. Probably get me a new one ordered here over the next few days. I think they say they are supposed to run around 216*. I think I have read that this issue is common on the 6.4 so I think I will buy something different than the Mopar OEM replacement.
Unless your tuned and the tuner recommends a colder thermostat, then stick with OE. IIRC correctly it's pretty hot. The 6.4 likes it hot.

wgreggking

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4x4 offroad
Engine
I think last year there were shortages of them. there was a thread here where poster was waiting 6 weeks with his rig sitting at the dealer.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963