These trucks are actually pretty quick!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Oliver Closehauf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Laramie
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I was out on the highway yesterday trying to run out some fuel. I filled the tank in November of 2020 and I'm just now down to half a tank on the gauge. Want to refill while they still make it....
I bought the truck as a bugout vehicle/Home Depot transport and just haven't needed to drive it much.
Anyway, as I'm merging onto a new interstate I come up along side of another diesel ram, lifted, maybe a 2016, his also sporting the same 4 inch exhaust as mine. He wanted to play but even though my truck has a tuner, I've never put my foot into it. Until yesterday.
After a couple miles of his goading I stomped it, the truck leapt forward, a plume of black smoke coming from my tail pipe, I must have caught him off guard because I slipped right passed him. Then the tuner started playing what I assumed was a warning alert so I backed off and resumed my previous sedate pace.
The other guy kept trying to get me to run again but that was enough for me. I'm not a "diesel guy" and don't know what half of the "extras" that came on the truck actually do, but I didn't buy it to race it or beat it, although it seemed to enjoy it, even with 2 year old fuel.

brucebmendoza

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Hats off to you brother. Most guys don’t have self discipline. That’s how you take care of your engines. From my experiences… That just proved what’s under that hood, is not gonna let you stranded.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I was out on the highway yesterday trying to run out some fuel. I filled the tank in November of 2020 and I'm just now down to half a tank on the gauge. Want to refill while they still make it....
I bought the truck as a bugout vehicle/Home Depot transport and just haven't needed to drive it much.
Anyway, as I'm merging onto a new interstate I come up along side of another diesel ram, lifted, maybe a 2016, his also sporting the same 4 inch exhaust as mine. He wanted to play but even though my truck has a tuner, I've never put my foot into it. Until yesterday.
After a couple miles of his goading I stomped it, the truck leapt forward, a plume of black smoke coming from my tail pipe, I must have caught him off guard because I slipped right passed him. Then the tuner started playing what I assumed was a warning alert so I backed off and resumed my previous sedate pace.
The other guy kept trying to get me to run again but that was enough for me. I'm not a "diesel guy" and don't know what half of the "extras" that came on the truck actually do, but I didn't buy it to race it or beat it, although it seemed to enjoy it, even with 2 year old fuel.
I would plan on adding diesel algaecide additive to your tank if you plan on lettings it sit for 6 months or more and hope your also using a good fuel filter like the Baldwin PF7977, used them for 15 years in my 2006 CTD along with Donaldson DBL 7349 oil filters..

OP
OP
Oliver Closehauf

Oliver Closehauf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Laramie
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I used diesel clean when I filled it up. When I changed the fuel filter last August it looked good when I primed the filter bowl, but I'll look for an actual algaecide.

Just curious if your fuel gauge reads linear or does it fall off once it gets to a certain point?