Thin truck bed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bearcatrp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Son in law broke down on his way hunting. Had to put his truck on the trailer he was pulling that had his side by side and other gear for hunting. His Honda 500 fits in a truck long box. So, loaded it in the back of my truck, hooked up the trailer and brought him home. When he unloaded his SxS, noticed both of my fender humps in the bed were dented in. WTF. Ram using tin foil for truck beds? Have owned over 2 dozen trucks in my life and have never dented the wheel hump in truck beds. Will be taking photos and sending to Ram to question the cheap truck bed. I know they thin stuff out to make them lighter but dam, it’s a truck used to haul stuff. Makes me wonder how safe my 5th wheel hitch is when towing.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
I bought a bunch of 80lb bags of concrete and Home Depot put it on a pallet and they loaded it on my truck with a forklift. Guy bumped my wheel well and it dented it. I let it go cause it wasn't bad but it did seem to bend easily

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
be glad that you don't have an Aluminum Body Ford

I watched as a 2015 Ford 3/4 Ton drove into the body shop that i was at.

The whole drivers front corner of the bed was ripped outwards, something in the bed caused it

In the same time period this Ram Megacab pulled in, i don't know what happened with it
1668309625307.png

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Before I bought my current RAM truck, I was looking at the HDs from GM. When I was in the beds on their rigs, I could feel the steel flexing under my feet when walking around in them. One could only think all brands trying to make things lighter for fuel standards. I know when I washed, and waxed my late model camaros, the roof would buckle under just the pressure of my hand wiping across it. They dont make like cars like they used to!

Last edited:

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Most vehicles these days are tin cans including our rams. Everything is made to be lighter in weight for fuel efficiency therfore the sheet metal is thinner and very flimsy and delicate. My 21 BTS crew cab is a few pounds lighter than the 11 ram quad cab i used to have. I don't even want anyone to look at the truck for fear of it getting a dent lol

OP
OP
B

Bearcatrp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Fiver and Gooseneck hitches should be bolted to the truck frame, not the bed sheet metal.
Mine has the puck system. Just drop and lock the 5th wheel hitch. Have never looked underneath to see how well it’s done.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Mine has the puck system. Just drop and lock the 5th wheel hitch. Have never looked underneath to see how well it’s done.
The puck mounts are bolted to the frame, the puck system rating depends on the fiver hitch used. Ram offers a puck fiver hitch rated to 30K lbs, same prep is used on all 3500s.

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
I have noticed ripples in the body panels where the door handles are on my 2500. Cheaper & lighter is what they are striving for. Doubt you are going to see much difference with one of the other big 3.