Think I figured out low speed rear end clunk, need help please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

abouttobeglue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Been getting a clunk from the rear, low speeds up to 30 over bumps. Thought is was the spohn panhard where it flexed, put on a core bar, and new kyb gas ajust shocks, still there. Figured the rear control arms were worn, just finished putting on core 4x4 upper and lower rear arms still there. Any ideas, double checked the shocks, illicit bracket bolts, swaybar, I got no clue. I will say the core arms and bar are impressive as hell, truck feels much better at highway speeds, probably wouldn't have done core parts or new shocks, but as Bob ross would say they were happy accidents. If I could figure out the damn clunk I'd be happy.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Been getting a clunk from the rear, low speeds up to 30 over bumps. Thought is was the spohn panhard where it flexed, put on a core bar, and new kyb gas ajust shocks, still there. Figured the rear control arms were worn, just finished putting on core 4x4 upper and lower rear arms still there. Any ideas, double checked the shocks, illicit bracket bolts, swaybar, I got no clue. I will say the core arms and bar are impressive as hell, truck feels much better at highway speeds, probably wouldn't have done core parts or new shocks, but as Bob ross would say they were happy accidents. If I could figure out the damn clunk I'd be happy.

Did you check the spare tire to see if it might be moving around,it's about all that's left,lol

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Yep, checked the spare tire last night.

I got nothing then,as i'm guessing you've checked the exhaust for clearance to.You've replaced pretty well everything that would clunk,about all I got is maybe drop the spare right out and see if it helps.

OP
OP
abouttobeglue

abouttobeglue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Will do that when I get out there to re gease the bushings, going to get a 90 degree adapter to hopefully make it easy., even checked the body bushings near the cab, no play, tightened as much as they can.

OP
OP
abouttobeglue

abouttobeglue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Took the spare tire down no change. Checked the front body bushings, loosened the passenger side, water came out, let it drain. No change, checked the driver's side, wouldn't budge. I'm out of ideas

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Took the spare tire down no change. Checked the front body bushings, loosened the passenger side, water came out, let it drain. No change, checked the driver's side, wouldn't budge. I'm out of ideas

This is really stretching it,but I wonder if you could have a brake caliper moving around a bit.You've replaced everything I would have,so i'm just throwing another idea out,as it is a bit baffling

OP
OP
abouttobeglue

abouttobeglue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Appreciate the idea, I'll check all 4 corners in the next day or two. I've looked at the pads and I've still got a bit left all around at 45000 miles, I didnt think to check bolts.

OP
OP
abouttobeglue

abouttobeglue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Checked the caliper bolts, took my airlift bays out, read somewhere some people hand flunks, no change. This is driving me up the damn wall.hadnt noticed any driveline slop, sont think its u joints

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Do you have a tow hitch in the receiver?
Mine will clunk over the right bump, it seems to be fairly loose in there.
Just throwing it out there.

OP
OP
abouttobeglue

abouttobeglue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Appreciate it, I have a tow package but no hitch

gbark80

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are you sure it is under the truck? Have you thought about seat bolts being loose or the seat back making the noise? I only say that Cuz when I got mine back from getting roadwire leather kit installed, one bolt on driver seat was loose and I had a clunk and took me a week to figure it out.

OP
OP
abouttobeglue

abouttobeglue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's very noticeable with the windows down, definitely coming from the rear when going over bumps. When I bounce on the rear bumper I can hear something hit. I ordered some new rear coil spring isolators, thinking maybe the other ones wore out or shifted around and got bothered up. Havent swapped my springs from the belltech 4 inch to the mcgaughy 2 inch I have in case it's a bad spring. Ideally if it was a spring I'd cut some coils off the mcgaughys to get closer to 3.5 inch tob4 inch drop

OP
OP
abouttobeglue

abouttobeglue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Got my new isolators in, think i might have it sorted. Didn't hear any clunk like the ass end was falling apart on my test drive. Hopefully I got it sorted

OP
OP
abouttobeglue

abouttobeglue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So far so good, been down some bumpy ass roads. Got normal suspension sounds so far no ass is falling out sound.

DERJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had a "clunk" sometime back and eventually found my the passenger side panhard bar bolt was just clipping the passenger side sway bar mount bracket - the bolt was just a little long and the hellwig brackets stick out a little further, but they only crossed when the axle was moving up.
The only other "clunk" was the bolts in the sway bar end links where a smaller diameter that the bushing and allowed a little play that only showed up when the body moved fast enough (like going over a speed bump).

OP
OP
abouttobeglue

abouttobeglue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Still good so far, when I go down the bumpy roads it doesnt sound like its falling apart.

woofie2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 v6
have you tapped on your brake disk? (I have chased a suspension clunk several times that was a brake pad)
(took it to the shop, mechanic hit the tire with a hammer, and ask is that the sound you hear?)

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I only get a clunk when off-roading, Checked everything like you did and its driving me insane as well... lol..

Im at the point I dont care anymore and will fix it once it breaks... lol...

OP
OP
abouttobeglue

abouttobeglue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Might be sway bar links, I've had to replace my bushings twice, started noticing a pop/clunk from the front. I'm going to have to replace the front end link bushings, it's doing it again, noticed the rubber bushings where the end links attach to the sway bar are worn again. Going to use some energy suspension bushings