Think i need a new engine and need recommendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scott Sanders

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
One thing wrong about that article. Mechanics don't track the time they spend working on an engine or anything else on your vehicle. They use a book that has the time for each job listed in it. If the book calls for 4 hours labor, they are going to charge you four hours, even if they can do it in fifteen minutes.
And if the book calls for 4 hours and it takes 7, they have to charge for 4?

Wulf

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
One thing wrong about that article. Mechanics don't track the time they spend working on an engine or anything else on your vehicle. They use a book that has the time for each job listed in it. If the book calls for 4 hours labor, they are going to charge you four hours, even if they can do it in fifteen minutes.
That is true, but that does show a starting point at least. If there is other related items that need to be taken care of at that time as well, that are not covered under the engine swap portion, there could be additional charges. Was not intended to be the be all/end all answer anyway, just for reference for the OP.

Wulf

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Like New York State, I didn't think anything was legal in California.;)

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 3 June 2018. Now at 69778 miles
That's true. New York state might not even be legal in California. :baby:

Burn2k12Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I second the notion go with the Jasper reman. Those have addressed/fixed the common issues like lifter/valve seats/head gasket/piston ring/valves/crankshafts, etc. Go for the reliability.

dFRESH

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine started a cylinder misfiring or something last week. I put it in the shop at my local dealership and they say there is metal in the engine oil, so I need to replace the engine. FOR $13,000!! It is a 2015 RAM, 5.7L Hemi, Loaded, with 120K miles. I love this truck, so I am hoping for some better options.
What are your thoughts?

metalchewy

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 TRX4
Engine
4.7L
Mine started a cylinder misfiring or something last week. I put it in the shop at my local dealership and they say there is metal in the engine oil, so I need to replace the engine. FOR $13,000!! It is a 2015 RAM, 5.7L Hemi, Loaded, with 120K miles. I love this truck, so I am hoping for some better options.
What are your thoughts?
I have a problem with a shop if they find metal in the oil and the first thing they say is that the engine needs to be replaced. If they didn't tell you what failed and give you some real options... rebuild, used, refurbished and new prices, they are hard to trust in my book... ... I trust no mechanics here. None have earned that trust.

Burn2k12Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What are your thoughts?
You can do better. I looked at the paperwork for mine and it came to after taxes $10,000 for a Jasper Remanufactured Engine. Find a local authorized installer. https://www.jasperengines.com/find-an-installer

Wulf

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What are your thoughts?
Well, given my Dad's history with bringing his Sierra to the "dealership" (GM new and used, for the record), and the problems they had even with some basic diagnosing of issues, sounds like one of your issues was bringing it to the dealership.

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
Throw another 5.7 in but do forged pistons, gap the rings for boost and do a small cam without MDS. Then slap on a supercharger at 8psi but you will need injectors, pump and tuning and probably some trans upgrades or upgrade to the 8spd with some mods. Will give you stock like drive-ability out of boost and boost will give you a lot more fun and tow power. You will still manage 18+mpg on the highway without boost but having 650hp, great street manners and tire smoking power is having your cake and eating it too.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963