Thinking about new Ecodiesel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jack67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So, I currently have a 2017 Laramie with the 5.7 that I put a lot of highway miles towing. I am being tempted by the new 2020 with the Ecodiesel since I put about 30k highway miles a year on the truck. I know this engine has been hit or miss in the past, so I am not sure I wanna take the chance. Not really sure what im looking for here. Perhaps either talked off the ledge or encouraged to do it, not sure. I know it is like 5 seconds into 2020, but has anyone drive the newer ecodiesel?
Nothing beats pure size, I would never touch a smaller engine for towing. For one thing, the smaller engine will wear out sooner.

tomb

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 bighorn-cherry red
Engine
5.7 HEMI
It could take you a couple of years to make up the $5000 price difference (over the v6 gasser) for the ED with what you'll save in fuel cost, so it depends on how long you plan to keep it if you do buy one. The fact that you're thinking about trading in a 3 year old truck tells me you're more like me and don't keep a vehicle more than 2 or 3 years. If that's the case you might just break even. If I was more concerned about fuel economy, and didn't really enjoy the go pedal as much as I do, I'd probably just opt for the v6 gas engine and save some $ up front as well as at the pump (compared to the Hemi).
If the OP tows several thousand pounds long distance and does choose a gasser-I would think the Hemi would be the better choice over the v6 pentastar. Or am i mistaken? Only had the Hemi-dont know how the v6 is for towing.

RVGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is a great tool that can calculate easily savings with diesel or gas. I used it and calculated I save 1500 a year with my diesel. At current fuel pricing of course and a drive a lot of miles a year

http://calcnexus.com/fuel-cost-calculator.php
You should also include the difference in maintenance and purchase costs when doing the math if you're buying a diesel with the sole intention of saving money.

Years ago I did all the math and they were within a few $ of eachother over a year of driving. You'd basically never recoup the costs unless diesel somehow got way cheaper.

Arvid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It all comes down to how many miles a year drive and what you’re pulling. Pulling a 5000# work trailer a couple times a week made it a no brainer for me.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Something often overlooked when people talk about the upcharge for a more fuel-efficient vehicle is the corresponding increase in the resale value of that vehicle. If it costs 5k more now, depreciates the same as a 5.7 and then is worth 5k more at resale, the "upcharge" is a different story.
You are correct that the resale will be higher. But you are not correct about how much higher. I once owned a 2015 EcoDiesel. At the time of purchase, the engine upgrade cost was $5000 more than the base v6 engine. I just now checked the NADA value on that vehicle, and the engine only adds $1700 to the trade-in value (over the base v6). So it effectively saw $3300 in depreciation. You will not get back the full $5000 more you originally paid (or even close to it) when you sell or trade it in.

RVGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You are correct that the resale will be higher. But you are not correct about how much higher. I once owned a 2015 EcoDiesel. At the time of purchase, the engine upgrade cost was $5000 more than the base v6 engine. I just now checked the NADA value on that vehicle, and the engine only adds $1700 to the trade-in value (over the base v6). So it effectively saw $3300 in depreciation. You will not get back the full $5000 more you originally paid (or even close to it) when you sell or trade it in.
It's also a completely null and void point if you don't sell your vehicles.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
It's also a completely null and void point if you don't sell your vehicles.
A concept I've never adopted, but probably should. Very true, but I suspect not too common.

RVGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A concept I've never adopted, but probably should. Very true, but I suspect not too common.
My Ram is the first vehicle I've decided to keep for the long haul. I love driving it and it hasn't given me a problem yet so it seems like an obvious decision.

Although before this I was always itching to sell/trade up to the next latest and greatest every couple years so I can understand that point of view too.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Although before this I was always itching to sell/trade up to the next latest and greatest every couple years so I can understand that point of view too.
That's my problem. I never buy a vehicle with the intention of getting rid of it. It just tends to happen after a few years of owning them. Who knows, maybe I'll keep this one at least until the loan is paid off. :anitoof:

Jrod

USAF 1997-2008
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Sport
Engine
It could take you a couple of years to make up the $5000 price difference (over the v6 gasser) for the ED with what you'll save in fuel cost, so it depends on how long you plan to keep it if you do buy one. The fact that you're thinking about trading in a 3 year old truck tells me you're more like me and don't keep a vehicle more than 2 or 3 years. If that's the case you might just break even. If I was more concerned about fuel economy, and didn't really enjoy the go pedal as much as I do, I'd probably just opt for the v6 gas engine and save some $ up front as well as at the pump (compared to the Hemi).

This right here! ^^

You beat me to it.

OP
OP
T

Troutman561

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Update: ended up going with a left over 2019 with the 5.7. I never drove a gen 5 until I got into my new truck. Holy crap, these things ride and steer as smooth as a Lexus. I’m overly impressed. Had them throw my tires from my other truck as they have a good bit of life left. Not sure if I’m gonna level, lift 2 in like the last truck, or leave it as is.

919DCB43-5E2C-49FC-A902-FC8AE1408B44.jpeg

RVGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Update: ended up going with a left over 2019 with the 5.7. I never drove a gen 5 until I got into my new truck. Holy crap, these things ride and steer as smooth as a Lexus. I’m overly impressed. Had them throw my tires from my other truck as they have a good bit of life left. Not sure if I’m gonna level, lift 2 in like the last truck, or leave it as is.

View attachment 191958
Same tires I have, love em.

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
The diesel engine needs more frequent oil changes and more frequent fuel filter changes and diesel in many areas costs as much as premium gas at the pumps. With the 8 cyclinder diesels the cost to rebuild the injectors is around $5,000 and it can happen within 100,000 miles of driving.

Buy a diesel for more torque to pull a heavy trailer and for the exhaust brake to control speed on steep downgrades but do not buy a diesel to save money. I currently own a diesel 2500 and was towing a 13,000 lb boat load but having sold the boat I will be selling the truck and replacing it with a 1500 class pickup with a gas V-6 engine.