Thinking about replacing my 8.4AN with aftermarket.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nicelysedated

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Tempting really wish it sat flush and that the damn dash kit wasn’t so expensive or else I’d switch out my “7 avh4200. How’s the climate controls work with that setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Climate controls work just like factory. Had to get a custom firmware from metra, but once I had that it was great. You can change settings on a bunch of stuff you previously couldn't.

Raff98

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 eco
Does anyone know if a 2018 or 2019 radio would be plug and play for 2015 8.4 RAN? eBay has 2018/2019 version with CarPlay for apple and android auto. I assume these are “recycled” from crashed trucks. Not cheap, but OEM.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Looks great. Doesn't that only kit only work with the 8.4 stock stereos? Or if you have upgraded climate controls?

Nope works with both 5" and 8.4"

bc40a7fff4a3aa03dc499f5185a19fa4.png

2018 Ram 2500 6.4L Hemi Tradesman

autumnwalker

Reaction score
@Nicelysedated does that Metra kit allow you to have multiple cameras like the PAC unit? How do you find it working re: reliability so far? I read it'***** and miss.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
@Nicelysedated does that Metra kit allow you to have multiple cameras like the PAC unit? How do you find it working re: reliability so far? I read it'***** and miss.

From what I can see on line no you can't add multiple camera's through this. This seems to be more like the idatalink maestro rr with restrictions. The pac audio is definitely more like the idatalink maestro rr plus some.

I did come across the op's YouTube video on this. Definitely a nice upgrade

Nicelysedated

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You can in fact add multiple cameras. In addition camera output can be sent to the touchscreen in the metra kit or the headunit.

Everything has worked well with the exception of the dimmer on the radio itself. The logic for dimming seems to be reversed. I set the dimmer to turn on and off by time instead as a workaround for now.

Android auto is amazing. I find myself rarely touching the radio and just using Google voice commands for everything. Integration with spotify is great and just have to give a simple command to play whatever I want to hear.

Bparker2003

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar
You can in fact add multiple cameras. In addition camera output can be sent to the touchscreen in the metra kit or the headunit.

Everything has worked well with the exception of the dimmer on the radio itself. The logic for dimming seems to be reversed. I set the dimmer to turn on and off by time instead as a workaround for now.

Android auto is amazing. I find myself rarely touching the radio and just using Google voice commands for everything. Integration with spotify is great and just have to give a simple command to play whatever I want to hear.

Looks really good. How do you add a second camera to the Metra harness? I read the manual and I couldn’t figure it out. I’m planning on buying this set up if I can easily add a second camera for front parking. If it’s like my current NEX2440 you can add it to the stereo, but I never figured out an easy way to pull it up.

Nicelysedated

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Looks really good. How do you add a second camera to the Metra harness? I read the manual and I couldn’t figure it out. I’m planning on buying this set up if I can easily add a second camera for front parking. If it’s like my current NEX2440 you can add it to the stereo, but I never figured out an easy way to pull it up.
There is a rear camera input on the Metra unit and a rear camera input on the stereo harness.

Bparker2003

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar
I hate to continue to hijack this thread, but does your parking sense still work like normal in the evic/audio tones? Did you loose anything on the evic? My wife occasionally drives my truck and I need to warn her before I make changes to how she drives.

Nicelysedated

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I hate to continue to hijack this thread, but does your parking sense still work like normal in the evic/audio tones? Did you loose anything on the evic? My wife occasionally drives my truck and I need to warn her before I make changes to how she drives.
Park sense still works as normal. Sound and display. I believe you can even choose to display the park sense on the Metra screen (I haven't tried but I remember seeing the option)

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
So... these HUs will replace the 8.4AN completely and retain all of the OEM functions fine? Steering wheel controls?

I fell out of the loop a decade or so ago on this stuff, and the few places I have asked at swore up and down I would lose all kinds of functionality, get check engine lights (no idea how), gloom, doom and dispair...

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
So... these HUs will replace the 8.4AN completely and retain all of the OEM functions fine? Steering wheel controls?

I fell out of the loop a decade or so ago on this stuff, and the few places I have asked at swore up and down I would lose all kinds of functionality, get check engine lights (no idea how), gloom, doom and dispair...

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

If you go with the same set up as the op you'll be fine. If you want a different head unit as long as it's idatalink compatible https://maestro.idatalink.com/ all you'll need is the idatalink maestro rr and ch3 harness and you be set

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the alpine X208. It has an 8” screen, retains all factory controls, and can control up to (8) accessories by touching a button on the screen (turn fog lights or bed lights on).
Also have the most advanced equalizer.

I don’t have any pics on my phone of it installed. I did have to trim the factory dash radio opening. But it turned out good.

1A1B9782-B4FB-49BF-8769-EE73E991456A.jpeg

H8ROADS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD 6.7
Climate controls work just like factory. Had to get a custom firmware from metra, but once I had that it was great. You can change settings on a bunch of stuff you previously couldn't.
Could you post a shot of the climate controls? Im curious how this would be with no knobs at all.

Nicelysedated

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Could you post a shot of the climate controls? Im curious how this would be with no knobs at all.
There is a link to a youtube video I made that shows it further up in the thread.